Why can't drivers under 4-years in opt for the 9.5 list?

Whats 9.5?

If you have a full time bid, and started you're 4 year progression, you cannot file 9.5 until you get top rate.
Not true....I have a full time bid route and I file all the time. I also am not at top scale. I know cover drivers that file as well, as long as they're on the same route all week.

Hump dump and roll

The word "or" in there really throws the whole thing off. It was explained to me that to file the first 3 requirements have to be met OR you're a driver with 4 years seniority.

I explained to my steward that this is poorly written because if they want the first three to be contingent upon one another the word "and" has to conjoint them. When writing this part of the contract they choose to use a semicolon which means the sentence has ended but is tied into another sentence that can stand on its own.

I said it's like reading a pre fixed menu. You don't get all the options just one.

I think I blew his mind when I said this to him.

So if Bob bids a week and is 9.5 three days he can file.

If Bob is assigned a route for a week but is taken off and 9.5s any three days on any route I believe he should be able to file but according to my BA he can't; he can only file if he was 9.5 on the route he was assigned. I think this needs to be filed on and go to arbitration.

I feel although if your on a route at any point three times in a week during you would be considered "assigned" to that route and then be able to file for any 9.5s occurred during that week because you were placed on another route by the company.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
According to him, cover drivers can't file. Right or wrong....I know covers that file.

Grey is incorrect.

If you are a cover driver with less than 4 years, you can get on the 9.5 list if you win a bid cover job for the week OR if you are assigned a job for the entire week.

Either one qualifies you for the 9.5 list. So even if you are a WAD driver, someone who can't bid on open jobs for the week, and are assigned a route for the entire week, you're eligible for the 9.5 list.

But it does go on a weekly basis. Any week where you cover different routes through the week, you're ineligible.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Partly true. If you win a weekly bid route you can opt in but it's only for that route or another route you win. If you're swinging you cannot file.

If you mean, by swinging, running a different route everyday, then that is correct.

But if a swing driver is assigned the same route for the entire week, then he can opt in.

If this is how you meant it, disregard the previous post. I may have misunderstood what you meant.

And yes, it is on a weekly basis whether or not you run the same route for the whole week.

Grey

Ok so why are you telling me I'm wrong?!

I dunno what to tell ya. I've been pretty clear in saying that you can opt in under 4 years if you win a bid route but can't file for going over 9.5 unless you're on that specific route or another one you won.

The reason I started this thread is to why that is? I think Holydriver probably nailed it...

Because it would cut into UPS' billions in profits if lower paid / seniority drivers didn't take work off the senior guys who get paid more per regular hour worked than under 4 year guys make at time and a half

Whats 9.5?

Grey is incorrect.

If you are a cover driver with less than 4 years, you can get on the 9.5 list if you win a bid cover job for the week OR if you are assigned a job for the entire week.

Either one qualifies you for the 9.5 list. So even if you are a WAD driver, someone who can't bid on open jobs for the week, and are assigned a route for the entire week, you're eligible for the 9.5 list.

But it does go on a weekly basis. Any week where you cover different routes through the week, you're ineligible.
And this is what I have been saying the whole time.

Whats 9.5?

I dunno what to tell ya. I've been pretty clear in saying that you can opt in under 4 years if you win a bid route but can't file for going over 9.5 unless you're on that specific route or another one you won.

The reason I started this thread is to why that is? I think Holydriver probably nailed it...
Well....I dunno what to tell you, I didn't say anything that was incorrect.

S

selfcancelsignal

Grey is incorrect.

In regards to your second paragraph, they just add a different split to these type of routes in our center each day, making you ineligible as well. They claim it's not the same route.

rkctkc

Once the driver met the requirements to opt in, why would he / she not be covered for the full 5 months (Except Nov-Dec).

Agreed. I can't seem to understand the language the same way these guys do. Where does it say it's only for one specific route?

union4life

They're not afraid to opt in in our center. A lot of us are on it but we'd win a week long vacation route maybe two or three times a year. That's how rare it is so its basically pointless. I dunno why they still send me the message everyday when it means nothing.