Why can't I get a combo or fulltime job?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've been with the company for 10 years now. I'm second generation, so I know how different it was 30 years ago. But this is ridiculous. I've tried my hand at package car twice and it wasn't for me. I don't understand why they don't have more fulltime/combo jobs at UPS. I'm a shifter and have been doing it for 3 years out of the 10 I have put in. I never understood how to get to feeders you have to be package, I have more experience with tractor trailers. Is there not a way to get this out they need to put up more fulltime spots. A majority of part timers never stick around but I think if I put in 10 years I should be full time or have a combo job by now. There are quite a lot of part timers at my hub that have more seniority then I but they just never create new jobs. It feels like I'm just stuck. All the combo/fulltime guys just sit on there jobs while new ones aren't created. That makes zero sense to me and frustates me more and more every day. I almost have a resentment for the company. Why should I work so hard when it gets me nowhere. I will never quit because the benefits are so good, I'm just tired of working two jobs honestly.

greengrenades

sure there is, you can get rid of two part time workers that won't be there very long and give it to someone with years under them, that will stick around. Makes sense to me.

You had a full time job in package car but it wasn`t for you? Twice? And you`re wondering why someone doesn`t walk up and give you a feeder spot that others in package car are putting their time in on and waiting for an opportunity for?

So you want the easier full time spot without putting the time in to get the seniority to earn it? Well its how its done. You put time in here to get to there, and then to the next spot, and so on. They are earned not gifted. As far as the combo/full time guys "sitting on their jobs", what do you want them to do? Give it up for you? If the company is not creating then perhaps there is not the need.

The real question is what did you expect would happen when YOU chose to quit the package car position,twice?

Memphis starting pay is 8.50 where I am. So they can have two workers for your hourly rate. The union also banks on their initiation fees and new workers can be treated like garbage as they don't know their rights yet.

When you`re not being the UPS "God" or busting the balls of a pt sup have you ever gone to the newbies and taken them under you wing and teach them their rights? Or do you just allow the union steward to do it when he has the chance?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Most of my time is devoted to being the UPS Messiah but in my spare time I don't have any problems helping newer employees out. For instance, I don't mind informing them that bid lists exists. You'd be surprised just how little PT employees know.

Not really. You're doing a good job keeping us up to date though :wink2:

greengrenades

Don't be a dick. Package and Feeders shouldn't have anything to do with each other. I actually work for feeders. Actually I put in my time and deserve a spot, I think fulltime and combo jobs should be created. If you have a certain amount of time put in you should be entitled to something.

. Package and Feeders shouldn't have anything to do with each other.

They have always had something to do with each other. It`s the place you go to get driving skills and put time in to go to feeder. There are some exceptions but that is the majority. You work for feeders? As a pt shifter? Pt work is pt work. While here shifting is a ft feeder position here apparently it is not where you are.

greengrenades

And I already have the driving skills and package car doesn't. I work for feeders, as in I don't work for the HUB or Package I work in the Feeder department.

greengrenades

I honestly don't give a **** about that anyways, I'm actually more irritated that more combo/full time jobs aren't created. You can either get part timers who will not likely last a year or you can give it to a part time who has put in his time. I just don't understand why they don't create more ft combo spots. Even when someone is fired or quits they don't even fill the spot they just get rid of it.

bellesmom

I honestly don't give a **** about that anyways, I'm actually more irritated that more combo/full time jobs aren't created. You can either get part timers who will not likely last a year or you can give it to a part time who has put in his time. I just don't understand why they don't create more ft combo spots. Even when someone is fired or quits they don't even fill the spot they just get rid of it.

You might want to read the 22.3 threads on the Union discussion board, alot of information in them. Everyone seems to think 22.3s will soon be extinct.

i hope u do. thats why it is important that all partime employees rally , with grievances to force the creation of the 20,000 fulltime combos that they did not create. we need to let ups know we are not letting are guard down , and are union strikes with force. (pass this on ) if so i will strike for u, I have a combo job because of the 97 strike and im grateful.thank u to my brothers &sisters .