Why can't I look forward to retirement?

Concretion

Retirement plans are in danger of temporary, permanent federal cuts

Central States Pension Fund, which represents 49 companies including Kroger and UPS, submitted its paperwork Sept. 25 and cuts will take effect July 1. Nearly $2.2 billion and the pensions of 24,625 Texans provided by Central States are at risk.

Friedman said the issue can be slowed by lawsuits and the treasury, but only Congress can fix it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Imagine if we took all the money we're wasting waging an endless war in the middle east and used it to provide financial security for working people here in the USA. Probably have enough left over to send all their kids to college as well.

barnyard

KTM rider
I believe that I was in HS when the airlines said they would be bankrupted by their pensions. Guaranteed benefit pensions are not sustainable, anyone that thinks they are, needs to retake grade school math.

Overpaid Union Thug

Imagine if we took all the money we're wasting waging an endless war in the middle east and used it to provide financial security for working people here in the USA. Probably have enough left over to send all their kids to college as well.
That combined with the money wasted on handouts for Americans, legal and illegal aliens, and to countries that hate us would be enormous. Wars, social experiments, and charity can be rather expensive.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Since when is it the government's job to fix private union pension plans that have failed?

Other than the government's insurance plan as a safety net to protect against total collapse, it is fantasyland to think they should bail out private pensions.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The Multi employer pensions needs to go. Each company should be responsible for their own. Or just give the monies to me. So I can invest myself. Stop giving money to political parties who really don't help. Only sell out.

beavis

Yeah Jones, we should ignore the middle east, pretend the radical Jihadists don't commit atrocities here and abroad and instead spend the money to bail out your failed pension so you can retire and send your kids to college. As long as you're happy.

rod

Retired 22 years
Since when is it the government's job to fix private union pension plans that have failed?

Other than the government's insurance plan as a safety net to protect against total collapse, it is fantasyland to think they should bail out private pensions.

It wasn't their job to bail out every 3 piece suit on Wall Street or 2 of the 3 big auto makers or half of the banking institutions in the USA ------------------------------------------------------------but they did.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Or pay down the debt.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Since when is it it the government's job to bail out private equity banks that gambled with other peoples' money?

A lot of pension funds were tied up in the subprime mortgage cluster:censored2:. Granted, Central States was already bleeding out but '08 just hastened it along. Thanks again, Jimmy Carter!

realbrown1

Since when is it it the government's job to bail out private equity banks that gambled with other peoples' money?

A lot of pension funds were tied up in the subprime mortgage cluster:censored2:. Granted, Central States was already bleeding out but '08 just hastened it along. Thanks again, Jimmy Carter!
It's not the government's job to bail out private equity banks.

Satisfied?

realbrown1

The Multi employer pensions needs to go. Each company should be responsible for their own. Or just give the monies to me. So I can invest myself. Stop giving money to political parties who really don't help. Only sell out.
I like the matching 401K plan.

I have just over 6 figures in my with just 1% to 3% contributions out of my paycheck every week for just under 30 years.

Can you imagine if UPS matched say 8%?

I would have put 8% into my 401K plan to get the full match.

It would cost UPS less than what they are paying into our pensions and we would be millionaires after 30 to 35 years with the company with the full 8% match.

And you would not have to worry about it going bankrupt and cutting payouts by 60% to 70% like some multi-employer pension plans.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Retirement plans are in danger of temporary, permanent federal cuts

Central States Pension Fund, which represents 49 companies including Kroger and UPS, submitted its paperwork Sept. 25 and cuts will take effect July 1. Nearly $2.2 billion and the pensions of 24,625 Texans provided by Central States are at risk.

Friedman said the issue can be slowed by lawsuits and the treasury, but only Congress can fix it.
someone should go to prison over this. it is criminal.