Why can't I look forward to retirement?

Boulevard859710

Since when is it the government's job to fix private union pension plans that have failed?

Other than the government's insurance plan as a safety net to protect against total collapse, it is fantasyland to think they should bail out private pensions.
Put back all the SS money they raided from us and that would fix it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Since when is it it the government's job to bail out private equity banks that gambled with other peoples' money?

A lot of pension funds were tied up in the subprime mortgage cluster:censored2:. Granted, Central States was already bleeding out but '08 just hastened it along. Thanks again, Jimmy Carter!
I like seeing the bumper stickers that say" I miss Reagan "....please he was about as bad as jimmy carter for unions and he wasn't that great of a president!!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I like seeing the bumper stickers that say" I miss Reagan "....please he was about as bad as jimmy carter for unions and he wasn't that great of a president!!

Both parties have been pretty good about shafting us since FDR, with a brief reprieve under LBJ and then another under Nixon because we paid him off.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
He was a light bulb salesman that should have been impeached over Iran Contra.
That has nothing to do with today's issues.

This guy is worried about his pension.

And he should be.

Under H, they are falling like dominoes.

And H has done nothing to help.

Why?

Either he chooses not to help.

Or he is unable to help.

Either way, H needs to go.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
That has nothing to do with today's issues.

This guy is worried about his pension.

And he should be.

Under H, they are falling like dominoes.

And H has done nothing to help.

Why?

Either he chooses not to help.

Or he is unable to help.

Either way, H needs to go.

You are horrendously wrong here.

Jimmy Carter beginning deregulation and Ronald Reagan continuing the policy absolutely annihilated the unionized trucking industry and is primarily responsible for the state of Central States today. Thousands of unionized trucking firms have been reduced to two as a result of the owner-operator model stemming from these policies.

This has everything to do with today's issues.

Granted, there has been gross mismanagement of CS' assets in the past (before Hoffa) and the IBT allowing UPS to exit the plan in 2008 (under Hoffa) was the last nail in the coffin; the latter being a very valid topic for debate.

Overpaid Union Thug

Reagan might have been a decent man who was patriotic, but in regards to helping the economy.... Including unions, was pathetic...
Reagan was responsible for the largest peacetime expansion of our economy. And he did so even though he had inherited an economy much worse than Obama did. His economic strategy cleaned up quite a mess that was left over from Carter. For that reason he needn't worry about unions. It's about all workers. Not just union workers.

A great POTUS does what's best for the country as a whole instead of pandering to a specific group. It simply isn't in a President's interests, nor the country's as a whole, to pander to unions.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Reagan was responsible for the largest peacetime expansion of our economy. And he did so even though he had inherited an economy much worse than Obama did. His economic strategy cleaned up quite a mess that was left over from Carter. For that reason he needn't worry about unions. It's about all workers. Not just union workers.

A great POTUS does what's best for the country as a whole instead of pandering to a specific group. It simply isn't in a President's interests, nor the country's as a whole, to pander to unions.
Stock market boomed under Reagan. The average working class Joe lost ground.

realbrown1

Notice how the OG has tried to blame the TEAMSTER PENSION COLLAPSING CRISES first on Carey for raising the CSPF payout be a few hundred dollars 20 something years ago.

Now the OG is saying the fault of our pension funds failing is on the evil Republican Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter.

H has been leading our union for almost 17 years.

I believe H ran on the slogan of RESTORE THE POWER.

Too bad H dfidn't run on SAVE THE PENSIONS.

It probably wouldn't have made a much of a difference anyways.

To H, those slogans would have just been to sucker the members for their vote, because he had no intention on doing anything other than playing golf for the whole 5 year term.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Notice how the OG has tried to blame the TEAMSTER PENSION COLLAPSING CRISES first on Carey for raising the CSPF payout be a few hundred dollars 20 something years ago.

Now the OG is saying the fault of our pension funds failing is on the evil Republican Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter.

To H, those slogans would have just been to sucker the members for their vote, because he had no intention on doing anything other than playing golf for the whole 5 year term.

So I'm the "OG" now? Wow, I never got the memo. And for the record, I've been fairly critical of Hoffa in the past.

A situation like the collapse of Central States is too complicated to place entirely on Hoffa's shoulders. There's some blame to place (as I stated in my earlier post about UPS exiting the plan in '08) but I guess you'd have to drop the Zuckerman pompoms to actually analyze the problem critically.

When you become too invested in a single individual (regardless of who it is), you really suffer by putting on the blinders.

Overpaid Union Thug

Stock market boomed under Reagan. The average working class Joe lost ground.
Nearly 20 million jobs were created during his recovery, which amounted to the economy growing by one third. Anyone that lost ground during that time definitely wasn't the average Joe and would likely have been left behind in any economy. As they tend to be. But, of course, it's always someone else's fault.

The only American workers that lost ground because of any decision by Reagan actually sealed their own fate by going on an ILLEGAL strike in 1981. So that's on them. Not Reagan.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

FYI:

SiteHero_Netflix_v2_0.jpg

Get on it. A Netflix sub is like $11/month. A small price to pay to help yourself out.

realbrown1

FYI:

SiteHero_Netflix_v2_0.jpg

Get on it. A Netflix sub is like $11/month. A small price to pay to help yourself out.
You blame our pensions failing on people who have been out of power for more than 28 years.

No blame to the person who HAS been in power for the last 17 years?

What am I missing?