Why collective bargaining?

Overpaid Union Thug

Is this another blame politicians for the continuing downfall of unions thread? When are people going to learn that there is no pending legislation or current laws on the books (including RTW) that will end the unions. It's 100% in the hands of the employees. Right now the unions are in more danger from their own behaviors and from member apathy than they are from any politician or legislation.

Inthegame

Is this another blame politicians for the continuing downfall of unions thread? When are people going to learn that there is no pending legislation or current laws on the books (including RTW) that will end the unions. It's 100% in the hands of the employees. Right now the unions are in more danger from their own behaviors and from member apathy than they are from any politician or legislation.
You need to look into what happened in Wisconsin. Nearly 200,000 had their unions weakened to irrelevance through legislation.

Inthegame

You need to look into what happened in Wisconsin. Nearly 200,000 had their unions weakened to irrelevance through legislation.

Exactly how did legislation weaken their unions?

Sent using BrownCafe App
The legislation passed prohibited unions from negotiating over any language (including H&W and Pension), eliminated the grievance procedure, left open the "right" to negotiate wages but capped increases to CPI. Vacation accruals were eliminated, and Comp time replaced OT.

BTW, this legislation passed on a party line vote with one sane republican voting with the democrats to oppose. And as Bubble mentioned, those brave republicans in Michigan passed RTW in lame duck. The republican liar in Indiana promised Teamsters no RTW was coming, then months later signed the bill. That's all legislation that will effectively weaken your rights some day if unchecked.

Your grievance issue (in another thread) and the ability to pursue such an issue, will be DOA if these guys keep winning.

It's past time for Union members to realise the danger of supporting these current group of charlatans. Nothing wrong with a conservative agenda, but this attack on unions must stop.

Ron Carey lives on

Exactly. Hide behind the morality of the party, but undercut the lifeline of the middle class? All politicians need to be called out by us

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

The legislation passed prohibited unions from negotiating over any language (including H&W and Pension), eliminated the grievance procedure, left open the "right" to negotiate wages but capped increases to CPI. Vacation accruals were eliminated, and Comp time replaced OT.

BTW, this legislation passed on a party line vote with one sane republican voting with the democrats to oppose. And as Bubble mentioned, those brave republicans in Michigan passed RTW in lame duck. The republican liar in Indiana promised Teamsters no RTW was coming, then months later signed the bill. That's all legislation that will effectively weaken your rights some day if unchecked.

Your grievance issue (in another thread) and the ability to pursue such an issue, will be DOA if these guys keep winning.

It's past time for Union members to realise the danger of supporting these current group of charlatans. Nothing wrong with a conservative agenda, but this attack on unions must stop.

Are you referring to "Act 10" that was passed by Governor Scott Walker? If so....my comments still stand. Legislations wasn't the cause. The legislation only opened the door (so to speak) for members to walk out. It didn't force anyone to though. Most of those unions are teacher unions and as a proud union member I can say that unions don't belong in our schools. If anything Act 10 was a grand slam for the kids in those schools. But that is another thread. The fact is that legislation hasn't brought down any unions. Only the membership has. Or should I say "the lack of interest in being members" has?

oldngray

nowhere special
Are you referring to "Act 10" that was passed by Governor Scott Walker? If so....my comments still stand. Legislations wasn't the cause. The legislation only opened the door (so to speak) for members to walk out. It didn't force anyone to though. Most of those unions are teacher unions and as a proud union member I can say that unions don't belong in our schools. If anything Act 10 was a grand slam for the kids in those schools. But that is another thread. The fact is that legislation hasn't brought down any unions. Only the membership has. Or should I say "the lack of interest in being members" has?

The situation with Walker is about public employee unions which are a whole different animal than private sector unions. Although the media usually ignorantly lumps all "unions" together.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The distinction between public and private sector unions is one that was created by anti-union forces for the express purpose of dividing union members. Ultimately to the them it's a distinction without a difference as their real goal is the destruction of all unions both public and private and turning working people against each other is just a convenient tactic in pursuit of that goal. If you think they have any intention of stopping once they have broken the public sector unions I've got a bridge to sell you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Once a legislative body taste the blood of public sector unions, who do you think is next thug?

It ONLY depends on whether or not the local members (or potential members) want it or not.
The distinction between public and private sector unions is one that was created by anti-union forces for the express purpose of dividing union members. Ultimately to the them it's a distinction without a difference as their real goal is the destruction of all unions both public and private and turning working people against each other is just a convenient tactic in pursuit of that goal. If you think they have any intention of stopping once they have broken the public sector unions I've got a bridge to sell you.

The only people capable of destroying our unions are the members themselves. What many on this board or failing to comprehend is that simply adding or amending laws that make it easier for members and potential members to opt out of a union isn't the problem. People need to recognize that the legislation isn't what's causing unions to decline. It's the lack of interest that is causing it. Unions need to take a hard long look at this and figure out why their members are leaving in droves as soon as they can.

Also look at it this way.....if pro-labor legislation, or lack of ant-labor legislation, is needed to keep a union's members from jumping ship than shouldn't everyone recognize that maybe....just maybe....it's time for that particular union to go?

Overpaid Union Thug

Wow, so let unions get less say so, one day another labor movement will start? Am I hearing you correctly?

Sent using BrownCafe App

No. What I'm saying is that you have to look at this logically and without bias towards or for unions. If you do then you see that the only true power is in the hands of the employees. If the required majority of a particular union shop wants their shop to remain a unionized shop then it will be so. Anti-union legislation, and those who write it, don't have a vote in a union shop (or a non-union shop with an interest to unionize) so blaming them for the decline of unions is ludicrous behavior. Unions are held together or torn apart by the will of the employees. Not by pro-union or anti-union legislation. If legislation is required to hold a union together where the majority of it's employees don't want a union then that is a serious problem on many levels. And the same goes for legislation that stops employees from starting a union. Only that simply isn't happening. It just isn't.

Last edited:

Ron Carey lives on

You are crawfishing, does ant-labor legislation help or hurt us. Pro- labor legislation ( right to organize, weighngarten rights, FLMA, right to strike, don't you think corporate lobbyists and their cherry picked politicians would love to get their hands on these laws?? I hear ya about the employees, I don't think think you are looking at the anti- labor agenda my friend

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

...... I hear ya about the employees, I don't think think you are looking at the anti- labor agenda my friend

Sent using BrownCafe App

That's all that matters. The anti-labor agenda is irrelevant if the employees want unionization and aren't apathetic. If not.....then there shouldn't be a union. RTW is a good example. In RTW states any "shop" that wants to form a union (or maintain one) do so with the required interest (majority) to maintain their standing. And they do so despite being in a RTW state. So you see?.....the anti-labor laws have no relevance if the required majority of employees want a union.

The ONLY drawback to anti-union laws is the freeloaders, or "scabs" if you will, that we all have to put up with as a result of RTW but the fact that our unions are still up and running despite RTW just shows how irrelevant the laws are when there is still enough interest in the unions.

Last edited: