Why cover drivers?

Griff

Griff, I'm glad you and I go so far back that you know me that well.{Sarcasm}

For some bizarre reason you seem to think that I work hard because I want to impress my management team! (I work hard because I have a family I have to take care of.)

What is your speculation as to why I want to be the "Go-To-Guy"?

HEFFERNAN has nothing to do with this, and why would you even bring that up? Whatever happened between you and HEFFERNAN is between the both of you. (Im not going to scour around in past posts to figure out why you brought HEFFERNAN into this!)

Nothing happened between me and Heffernan. You're a hard worker, unlike the drivers you have to help. Birds of a feather.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, Up here in the NorthEast
A cover driver is a full-time driver who isnt bid to a specific route
There are at least 10 cover drivers at each center in my building that cover vacations, sick days, personal days, and extra splits
Usually they are low seniority FT drivers or senior guys that don't like doing the same route every day
Besides air-driver, no PT delivers a package

And to answer the question, " I get It "
I've been driving for over 8 years and been an employee since '95
You can read my comments under the title "milkers"
In the southwest (probably due to the contract language difference) our cover drivers can only be part-timers. I "covered" for about 7 mos. at top-driver pay for every hour worked including pre-load hrs. Usually with less than 5 min. notice. One time I declined to drive that day and the sup disqualified me from cover driving permanently. I had to file and it went to arbitration. I won. When I went to full-time "utility driver" I went back down to my progression level. Our utility drivers don't have bidded routes they cover vacations, sick days, or disibility. What ever comes up!!!!!!!!

All these differences are due to the different supplements.
The reason we even have P/T drivers is/was a trade off in contract talks. What we gained from this I have no idea. What we lost is more friend/T drivers jobs.
Of course the P/Ters that get paid more than their reload job gained that.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I always love a great post !

I'll be honest, I never had heard of a temporary cover driver. We have a strong union up here, so I'm sure they wouldn't let them take hours from full timers.

Also as an employee for 15 years, Griff is correct, I have never filed a grievance. I just do my job and go home. I don't see anything wrong with that. And yes, I was a PT supervisor for almost 3 years. That doesnt make me a kiss-ass to management either. I've been a full time driver for 8 years now and would never want to work salary with 12 hour days

Would I go around taking work from drivers all day, Not anymore. Been helping the same drivers day in, day out and got sick of it. Maybe PassYouBy has an easier route and has time to help people. But maybe Griff was mentioning about getting taken advantage of as "getting it"
That ship has sailed for this driver, they know my response when they send me a message

I got no problem with my union brother Griff, he's a good egg :peaceful:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
:happy-very:
PassYouBy
You're a good egg too
I think what Griff and myself are saying is that DONT get taken advantage of
If you want the extra OT and that is how you're route is run then go ahead
But this is what Griff and myself would go against
I love my job but wouldnt give myself more work
Enjoy the week

pkg-king

In our area you can be classified as a temporary cover driver, but still work 40+ hours per week covering different roures everyday or covering vacation. This can go on for years until you get a FT cover bid. Some drivers work like this for up to 5 years or more. They are paid FT wages but still classified as PT, and are covered with PT benefits and pension. All drivers start out this way. So when you first start driving, if you are classified as a temp. cover driver for your first 5 years or so, that just means you have to work that much longer to retire. It sucks because you are working the same hours and doind the same job as the fulltimers. Roughly the bottom 10 drivers on our seniority list of 50 drivers are classified as this, it has been this way for about 20 years.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Like I said pkg-king, In my center they would never allow PT drivers to take FT work from us
This would def. have to be a supplement to an issue in the contract at you're center

Why would you want to work like a FT driver and not be recognized like one
I don't like this one and I'll go on a limb and say Griff wouldn't either

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
:happy-very:
PassYouBy
You're a good egg too
I think what Griff and myself are saying is that DONT get taken advantage of
If you want the extra OT and that is how you're route is run then go ahead
But this is what Griff and myself would go against
I love my job but wouldnt give myself more work
Enjoy the week

My thing is that I work preload in the A.M and then as soon as my trucks are wrapped up, I go get changed and head out for the day. I run a split route most of the time and then do "shags" too. I havent been doing this as long as you and Griff, and thats why I am glad to get "any" advice on what and maybe what I should do in certain situations

My thing is that I "assume" that whatever is asked of me by my center manager, then that is what I need to do..AS LONG AS ITS WITHIN REASON!

I really do enjoy the job and when things aren't so messed up and most everything goes my way during the day...I could work 24 hrs a day :) J/J But I do enjoy delivering and most days I look forward to driving.(Especially when the weathers nice!)

Another thing that maybe I need to clarify in my earlier thread, is that I am in no way complaining about helping others out of a jam (I know I would want someone to help me if I needed it--What goes around comes around.) The thing that gets me sometimes is that I was out helping that driver, and I'm still out doing his work while he has been back in the center for and hr. (I.E--I had taken 25 stops from a driver one evening and when I get back to the center hes in the office sitting there laughing and joking. So I asked, "how did you get in so early?" His reply was that he had another driver get a "few" other stops after I left. This is the same guy that ALWAYS complains about having too much to do before even getting in the truck. PAWNS stops early in the A.M

If his work ethic was a little better, and worked like most other drivers I wouldn't batt an eye!

Last edited:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When I first started driving, it took me awhile to get used to the job and how busy we are everyday. Once I got a foothold into completing my route in a reasonable time, things and situations became easier for me.
But of course, the better you get, the better your numbers get, then the earlier you get back to the building. Then the sups would put more stops on me and/or ask me to go meet so-n-so and take work off them.

Once I realized I was taken advantage of, I snapped. Anyone else doing the route wouldnt get the extra work, and it was always the same lazy drivers I would have to take work off and they would laugh while I took it.

That was 6 years ago, I don't help no one now. Only if I was really, really light. They want to preach about teamwork, but UPS runs on the numbers of last nights reports, and thats it. That's what I learned

It is easy to take 15 stops off someone and deliver it with no pressure, I enjoy coming home at a decent time. My motto : I DONT NEED HELP/I DONT HELP

Every situation is different, you might be expected to help, and that's why they send you around. Until you snap, just keep working and getting that OT

Overpaid Union Thug

My thing is that I work preload in the A.M and then as soon as my trucks are wrapped up, I go get changed and head out for the day. I run a split route most of the time and then do "shags" too. I havent been doing this as long as you and Griff, and thats why I am glad to get "any" advice on what and maybe what I should do in certain situations

My thing is that I "assume" that whatever is asked of me by my center manager, then that is what I need to do..AS LONG AS ITS WITHIN REASON!

I really do enjoy the job and when things aren't so messed up and most everything goes my way during the day...I could work 24 hrs a day :) J/J But I do enjoy delivering and most days I look forward to driving.(Especially when the weathers nice!)

Another thing that maybe I need to clarify in my earlier thread, is that I am in no way complaining about helping others out of a jam (I know I would want someone to help me if I needed it--What goes around comes around.) The thing that gets me sometimes is that I was out helping that driver, and I'm still out doing his work while he has been back in the center for and hr. (I.E--I had taken 25 stops from a driver one evening and when I get back to the center hes in the office sitting there laughing and joking. So I asked, "how did you get in so early?" His reply was that he had another driver get a "few" other stops after I left. This is the same guy that ALWAYS complains about having too much to do before even getting in the truck. PAWNS stops early in the A.M

If his work ethic was a little better, and worked like most other drivers I wouldn't batt an eye!

I don't mind helping people but every since we got PAS/EDD helping people has pretty much stoped. Some days I'm so light I will message the center or call the sup and ask if I need to help anyone. I'm usually told to "take it to the house."

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Plus, I/We are the guys/gals that take the 20-30 stops off of some drivers to "help" them out. I usually get enough stops off of 3-5 drivers to make more stops in a day than they make! Plus I don't get the convenience of running the same route EVERYDAY!

center manager to me--- "Hey when you get done with those go get 20 more stops off of "JOE" he needs help!"

I find it funny "Joe" is in 1 hr. before me and probably eating supper at home by the time I pull into the center after doing his 20 stops he gave me!

No biggie, Ill just do it again tomorrow!

Next day...."Swinger" called in AGAIN, so your going to have to run his route today!

No kidding. i totally agree with this post. i hate it when i bust my butt to finish shags or whatever route i'm running only to have the dispatcher or one of my supervisors call me or text me to go help someone else with 20 more stops. i see all the full-time bid and swing drivers heading back to the building while i'm going to meet with the other driver. why they have to abuse me?....there are other drivers besides me to answer the call for help.

i was also told by a steward that i "should never say no to them" when they are strongarming me. she said do what they tell you to do and we can grieve it later.

Last edited:

tups

Main reason for cover guys is to cover vacation routes and sick days or e ven to run splits.

I've been a cover driver for 3 years, and make regular top rate, like anyone else. I work a full day everyday, all week doing just what cementups mentioned. Cover drivers are full time teamsters and work full time hours. I don't think the ones you are thinking about by mentioning the contract are full time cover drivers. they are more likely air drivers.

Overpaid Union Thug

Like I said in the beginning of the thread....some of the people here are talking about TCDs (part-timers that drive only when there isn't enough full-timers available due to vacations, illness, etc.), or full-time cover drivers (full-timers that aren't assigned to a route). The full-time cover drivers are supposed to be the ones that cover for bid route drivers while they are on vacations but the TCDs are used during the summer when there are more people are vacations and not enough full-timers to cover all the routes. In the southern region it is spelled out this way. The problem is that too many TCDs are being worked 40+ hours/week throughout the year but not being upgraded to full-time. That is why the new language was added stating that if a TCD has "X" amount of reports during the year then more full-timers must be added.

brownrodster

Well, Up here in the NorthEast
A cover driver is a full-time driver who isnt bid to a specific route
There are at least 10 cover drivers at each center in my building that cover vacations, sick days, personal days, and extra splits
Usually they are low seniority FT drivers or senior guys that don't like doing the same route every day
Besides air-driver, no PT delivers a package

Same in my neck of the woods. A PT air driver is usually only called in to help in an emergency, which is rare.