Why did I have to work till 9PM last night?

satellitedriver

Welcome to my daily world.
9:30 to 10pm is now my standard punch.
I had a runner and gunner cover driver run my route this week while I was on vacation.
Everyday he would stop by my house and tell me how he would get my route load corrected, because he had to have help to do it in 11hrs.
Ha, Ha!!!!!!!
Come this Tuesday,
I feel very confident that I will load and deliver two full P5 loads everyday until 10pm.
In my perverse sense of satisfaction, the drivers, that are 20yrs younger than me, have complained to management about having to work on my route , due to the work load and hours.
I call for help everyday, but never, or rarely, get it on Monday, or Friday.
By no means am I a Superman,
I am just a skinny old man that has area knowledge and some weird drive that has put work first.
It sucks, it is wrong and that is the new improved expectations of my mis-management team.
18 months of survival is my only goal.

upsgrunt

Welcome to my daily world.
9:30 to 10pm is now my standard punch.
I had a runner and gunner cover driver run my route this week while I was on vacation.
Everyday he would stop by my house and tell me how he would get my route load corrected, because he had to have help to do it in 11hrs.
Ha, Ha!!!!!!!
Come this Tuesday,
I feel very confident that I will load and deliver two full P5 loads everyday until 10pm.
In my perverse sense of satisfaction, the drivers, that are 20yrs younger than me, have complained to management about having to work on my route , due to the work load and hours.
I call for help everyday, but never, or rarely, get it on Monday, or Friday.
By no means am I a Superman,
I am just a skinny old man that has area knowledge and some weird drive that has put work first.
It sucks, it is wrong and that is the new improved expectations of my mis-management team.
18 months of survival is my only goal.

At least you're skinny and old- I'm old and fat!:happy-very:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Plans at 8pm on a weekday is never a guarantee, and you should know this by now. However this is the part of being a UPS driver that the average Joe on the street just doesnt understand. I love it when I'm delivering to a customers house around 5PM and they are complaining about their job to me. I kindly look at them and explain that from where I'm standing their job looks pretty damn good, it's 5PM and they are home and usually I still have 40 to 50 stops left plus an hour drive back to the building. Oh well this is what we all signed up for and we all gladdly cash that check.

S

speeddemon

This is what happens when you have people making decisions about our company that have no damn clue what they are doing.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
these holidays are a :censored2: to plan and common sense or charity are never in the equation. what kind of day did you have compared to a normal one?

That is such a line of bull. Nothing hard about planning for a holiday weekend. I had one stop closed. That means I should get one more stop than usual, not 25.

rod

Retired 22 years
That is such a line of bull. Nothing hard about planning for a holiday weekend. I had one stop closed. That means I should get one more stop than usual, not 25.

They do plan for holiday weekends------they take out routes and send people home for the day because they know most everyone working will skip breaks and drive like miniacs to get off early because they have weekend plans. It makes managements numbers for the week look great.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
routes broke out and i see a 9pm finish, you may see me at 10.
sorry but we have normal days now, no running through lunch here
clocked out normal 6

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why did I have to work until 9pm last night?.

wasn't only you , there were quite a few drivers out until that late I saw get into bldg around 9

RKYMNTBROWN

It's simple, everybody has plans for the long weekend and management knows that. So they load everyone up knowing that they will run a little harder, and hopefully skip their personal time, so they can get home and start their weekend. It's all about production. When they do it to me, I’m 100% by the book and will break off route to use the restroom. It makes for a long, highly paid day.

ups1990

Nine pm is a little late for a Friday, especially when able body drivers are sent home home for the day.

I have a feeling this coming Friday will be heavy as well here in So Cal. Many of our local high school will be having graduation ceremonies. This day is maxed out with scheduled days off. Sick calls will be off the charts on this day. I'm planning on working a lengthy day.:dissapointed:

bumped

I had 25 more delivery pieces that normal, 20 less pieces picked up, 20 more delivery stops than normal, and 2 businesses closed that are not regular pickup accounts(closed many times on Fridays anyways). I had zero business pick up accounts closed. An 11 hour day. Yeah, thats great.

SWORDFISH

Friday before a holiday or not, we should be safe when making plans for 8pm.

There is no excuse, especially when they sent FT drivers home. Why not offer Code 5?

That would be nice.

The Friday on a holiday weekend? Every business parking lot on my route was empty by 4:30.

I'm not even asking to get out early, but these people cut routes and sent FT drivers home. I would have been completely happy with a normal day. I mean, c'mon, show a little respect for your employees and their families. Instead, they go out of their way to cause family and marital problems.

Sorry for the rant, I had 8:00 PM plans.

9:00 pm for me.

Sounds like it was a nationwide idea to cut cars. We put out two less cars than the previous days. Air was late, hassled by management and didn't get of the clock until 7:30 p.m. I am feeling a "by the book Tuesday" coming on. Of course management was out the door by 3 p.m. You know, THEY had plans.

Suprisingly our center manager was at the building till after 9 but the rest were gone.

The only problem would be the loss of holiday pay.

Not if you have a DR. note.

I had 30 extra stops as well plus late volume.

They do plan for holiday weekends------they take out routes and send people home for the day because they know most everyone working will skip breaks and drive like miniacs to get off early because they have weekend plans. It makes managements numbers for the week look great.

So hopefully one day people reallize this so they stop doing it.