Why did I have to work till 9PM last night?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Upstate I do not agree with raising the SPC it wears everyone out - hourly and management. Where we get into trouble is we planned 50 routes at 101 SPC and because the work did not come in we now must run 48 routes to get to 101 SPC. More work + less drivers = profit . No matter what job you work at, whether at UPS or any other Company, your just not as effective/attentive at 8pm vs 8am to 6pm.

Just curious, is that 101 number used in the center your at, or did you just pull that out of the air..if it is an actual number it is very low from what I have seen at centers around my neck of the woods.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In had 120 del. stops/370 pcs del and 30 pu stops w/ 238 pcs picked up. I clocked out at 2030. When are they going to figure out that the pc count makes as much difference in a day as the stop count does? I've had 2 9.5's and I get to look forward to having one tomorrow. Works for me, my sup can put me on the 9.5 list for that rte. :surprised:

and there were several rtes that were still out....................................

Last edited:

ups1990

I agree with you, Dilligaf. Some supervisors fail to see the amount of pick ups and give you the same stop count as the driver next to you, who has maybe two pick ups.

BrownArmy

I punched out that Friday at 20:30.

It was my fifth day on this particular route (I'm a cover-driver). They threw me to the wolves the previous Monday (completely on the BLIND), I had the route figured out by Wednesday, but Friday they really dropped the hammer.

On Monday I had 150 stops, which seems about right for the route (50% business, 30% apartment buildings, 20% easy DR houses). It's a major square in a major college town, heavy bulk deliveries and pick-ups, serious traffic, total insanity.

On Friday, they slammed the route with 190 stops. Traffic, which is normally insane, was even more so because of the holiday weekend. One of the pick-ups is a UPS store, which was loaded to the front door with boxes packed by students leaving town. I filled up a more or less empty 1200 with 250+ pieces from the UPS store, mostly poorly packed 50lb+ boxes, etc. etc. I was at the UPS store for 90 minutes, and called my center half-way through to tell them that they needed to send someone else to finish the job, as my truck was going to be full and I still had 30+ stops to deliver...

Being on the blind doesn't bother me, I'm a cover-driver. What burns my butt is when the following Monday they ask me why I was XX-hours paid-over.

What? Y'all slammed an extra 30 stops on this route on the Friday before a HOLIDAY WEEKEND, which happened to coincide with a major college move-out? Which happens every year RIGHT AT THIS EXACT DATE?

Sometimes I feel like I work in the circus, except that I'm the donkey.

old levi's

blank space
The Friday on a holiday weekend? Every business parking lot on my route was empty by 4:30.

I'm not even asking to get out early, but these people cut routes and sent FT drivers home. I would have been completely happy with a normal day. I mean, c'mon, show a little respect for your employees and their families. Instead, they go out of their way to cause family and marital problems.

Sorry for the rant, I had 8:00 PM plans.

You never make plans when you work at UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This was good news.....LAST YEAR when the post was fresh
It may not be fresh news, but it continues to be news. And the insanity continues.
Sorry Brown aMY, THE ANSWER IS YOU DO NOT MATTER, ONCE THEY KICK YOUR ARSE OUT THE DOOR, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.
I started to ask the same questions when I had to run all over covering pick ups, with stops left on my own car, because the rest of the guys were done at 430, and 530 respectively and I was still doing their splits. Im the senior driver, and I have 15 yrs on them seniority and age, and while my stop count was down, I had to pull, break and pull, and pull some more. I could never get 1/2 hr to do any cake work till after 6pm. Ill be later than 1.5, and did not meet my lock in sporh. And I did the best I can do, and thats all I can do. Just remember you have no right to a social life, you recover on the weekends and you sold your soul to a company for a dollar amount. it will never ever be a good company to work for again, but you will get paid. Thats the trade, sorry I took it but Im here for the long haul now. If you can get out, go, it will not change.

Paycheck

News flash: in the upcoming weeks, CEO Davis will announce "record profits!" again. No one on Wall Street cares how UPS makes profit just as long as they do. Sad but true.

Brownsfan

The Friday on a holiday weekend? Every business parking lot on my route was empty by 4:30.

I'm not even asking to get out early, but these people cut routes and sent FT drivers home. I would have been completely happy with a normal day. I mean, c'mon, show a little respect for your employees and their families. Instead, they go out of their way to cause family and marital problems.

Sorry for the rant, I had 8:00 PM plans.

That happens to me every holiday or friday. They think if they load the trucks up that we will just burn the routes up. I never do, when that happens everything goes by the book and i spend my day pissed of and punching out late. If everyone would come in after 9 then it would make a difference, but your only one guy, and they dont care.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I punched out that Friday at 20:30.

It was my fifth day on this particular route (I'm a cover-driver). They threw me to the wolves the previous Monday (completely on the BLIND), I had the route figured out by Wednesday, but Friday they really dropped the hammer.

On Monday I had 150 stops, which seems about right for the route (50% business, 30% apartment buildings, 20% easy DR houses). It's a major square in a major college town, heavy bulk deliveries and pick-ups, serious traffic, total insanity.

On Friday, they slammed the route with 190 stops. Traffic, which is normally insane, was even more so because of the holiday weekend. One of the pick-ups is a UPS store, which was loaded to the front door with boxes packed by students leaving town. I filled up a more or less empty 1200 with 250+ pieces from the UPS store, mostly poorly packed 50lb+ boxes, etc. etc. I was at the UPS store for 90 minutes, and called my center half-way through to tell them that they needed to send someone else to finish the job, as my truck was going to be full and I still had 30+ stops to deliver...

Being on the blind doesn't bother me, I'm a cover-driver. What burns my butt is when the following Monday they ask me why I was XX-hours paid-over.

What? Y'all slammed an extra 30 stops on this route on the Friday before a HOLIDAY WEEKEND, which happened to coincide with a major college move-out? Which happens every year RIGHT AT THIS EXACT DATE?

Sometimes I feel like I work in the circus, except that I'm the donkey.
I think I know the route you worked ...feel your pain brother !

Make sure you take your lunches and breaks. Bring the work back in if they cannot plan a reasonable and safe day. That is not your problem and no one should be punished and forced to work unsafely because they cannot manage the operations properly.

browniehound

That happens to me every holiday or friday. They think if they load the trucks up that we will just burn the routes up. I never do, when that happens everything goes by the book and i spend my day pissed of and punching out late. If everyone would come in after 9 then it would make a difference, but your only one guy, and they dont care.

If I was to come in after 9 then I would have to sit out on my route for over 4 hours as I'm done at 445 everyday. I don't know how you poor bastards do it as I'm pissed if I have any house calls left after my last pick-up at 445 never mind having 90 left like some of you guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I was to come in after 9 then I would have to sit out on my route for over 4 hours as I'm done at 445 everyday. I don't know how you poor bastards do it as I'm pissed if I have any house calls left after my last pick-up at 445 never mind having 90 left like some of you guys.

I have not worked past 7:30 for at least the last 10-15 years.

upsset

Two fixes for these situations that drivers just don't use........... 8 hour guarantee and 9.5 grievances. When they cut routes exercise your 8 hour guarantee instead of running out the door and they will have to put more routes in. Filing 9.5 grievances will force them to reduce your dispatch at least 3 days a week. The contract only helps you if you enforce it.