Why didn't you dr the basic package?

over9five

Staff member
I think if I was a customer who sent a basic package, and some UPS driver decided he was smarter than me and didn't leave it like he's supposed to, I would be using Fed-Ex next time.

"Think like the customer"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think if I was a customer who sent a basic package, and some UPS driver decided he was smarter than me and didn't leave it like he's supposed to, I would be using Fed-Ex next time. "Think like the customer"

I bet that if you polled our shippers regarding Basic that 9 out of 10 would not have a clue that we are being told not to use the same care that we do with packages that a higher level of service. The same goes for this new Smart pickup. How many Smart accounts know that if they do not process a package by a certain time that the driver will receive an ODS saying that their pickup is cancelled for that day? We had a case in my center where the driver received this ODS yet the shipper called the bldg to ask why the driver hadn't stopped by for the pickup--turns out they processed a package after the cutoff. The driver of course went back and took care of the customer.

We can discuss this all day but the bottom line is we still have to take care of the customer, whether they paid full price or not and, to me, DRing a package outside the door of a closed business where anybody and his brother can take it is not taking care of the customer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I bet that if you polled our shippers regarding Basic that 9 out of 10 would not have a clue that we are being told not to use the same care that we do with packages that a higher level of service. The same goes for this new Smart pickup. How many Smart accounts know that if they do not process a package by a certain time that the driver will receive an ODS saying that their pickup is cancelled for that day? We had a case in my center where the driver received this ODS yet the shipper called the bldg to ask why the driver hadn't stopped by for the pickup--turns out they processed a package after the cutoff. The driver of course went back and took care of the customer.

We can discuss this all day but the bottom line is we still have to take care of the customer, whether they paid full price or not and, to me, DRing a package outside the door of a closed business where anybody and his brother can take it is not taking care of the customer.
Why would you assume that 9 out of 10 shippers don't understand the level of service that they are paying for? I seriously doubt that to be the case. What you are suggesting is that is that we offer shippers a lower level of service at a cheaper price, and then secretly provide them with the same service that we offer for a higher price. Where is the logic in that? It's a great deal for the shipper I guess, once they figure out whats going on they will send everything basic and why not? If they want three attempts and a signature they can pay for it. By providing the shipper upgraded service that they explicitly haven't paid for, you're not just helping them, you're also screwing your employer who winds up footing the bill for the "free" service upgrades that you are handing out.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I guess this is another case where we will have to agree to disagree.
That's fine, I honestly don't mind, but the entity that you're really disagreeing with is not me, it's your employer. I don't understand why you wouldn't just work as directed in this case. Ultimately that's what we being paid to do.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are some instances where I don't think its a smart idea to DR Basic. I've noticed that I deliver a lot of Basic from a check printer. When their customers order new checks, they don't know how the shipper is going to ship them and I think that most consignees don't have any idea what "Basic" is. I wouldn't DR checks to a closed business under any circumstances.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The service is Basic, and with that comes a requirement by the driver to leave. In our center there is never a valid reason to NOT leave the package. For non-DR's we have been shown how to check for a realese number in the DIAD. As far as bagging and gateing a package or leaving around the corner or what ever other special task is required, just do it. We provide a service, and thats what we should do. Any talk of how you don't have time is B.S., and we all know it. Out of 150 stops you may only have a couple that require some special attention, so suck it up and do your job.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There are some instances where I don't think its a smart idea to DR Basic. I've noticed that I deliver a lot of Basic from a check printer. When their customers order new checks, they don't know how the shipper is going to ship them and I think that most consignees don't have any idea what "Basic" is. I wouldn't DR checks to a closed business under any circumstances.
I agree that in an objective sense it's a bad idea to leave a bunch of checks laying in a hallway, but that's what the shipper paid for. It was their decision. If it's a problem the answer is for the shipper to pay for a higher service level, not for the driver to provide free services that the shipper hasn't paid for. You don't think it's a big deal because you're paid at the same hourly rate regardless, but the fact is that when you make that decision it costs your employer more money which defeats the whole purpose of our basic service. If the cost of making another delivery attempt came out of your paycheck and not UPS's bottom line, I guarantee you would leave that package at the door.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's fine, I honestly don't mind, but the entity that you're really disagreeing with is not me, it's your employer. I don't understand why you wouldn't just work as directed in this case. Ultimately that's what we being paid to do.

Because I have an issue with leaving a box at the front door of a closed business where anybody and his brother can take it. I will indirect it if possible but will not DR to a closed business.

over9five

Staff member
Because I have an issue with leaving a box at the front door of a closed business where anybody and his brother can take it. I will indirect it if possible but will not DR to a closed business.

Maybe you could start your own company where you wouldn't sell that option. But UPS does sell that option, and as an employee you should provide the service your company has sold to those customers. The shipper expects that package to be left on the first attempt. Why do you want to piss them off??? It's not your call to make.

Your "issue" shouldn't matter. Make service for that shipper!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you could start your own company where you wouldn't sell that option. But UPS does sell that option, and as an employee you should provide the service your company has sold to those customers. The shipper expects that package to be left on the first attempt. Why do you want to piss them off??? It's not your call to make. Your "issue" shouldn't matter. Make service for that shipper!

It does matter--it's called taking care of the customer, which is the consignee, not the shipper.

There are methods in place to both deliver the package on the first attempt and take care of the customer and neither of those involves leaving a pkg outside the front door of a closed business.

I have to deal with these customers daily and I would simply not feel right telling them that I left their pkg by the front door of their business when I knew full well that they were closed for the day.

I have yet to bring back a commercial Basic. I have also yet to DR a commercial Basic when that business was closed.

I have absolutely no problem DRing a residential Basic regardless of location.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It does matter--it's called taking care of the customer, which is the consignee, not the shipper.
That's incorrect. Our customer is the shipper, the consignee is actually the shipper's customer. If the shipper does not want to pay the extra money to take care of their customer, why are you taking it upon yourself to do it for free?

SWORDFISH

I would never bring back a basic package. I don't care if they're closed, and I definitely don't care what's in it! The shipper wants it released on the first attempt. I'm not sure why some of you want to piss off our paying customer who has selected basic service to get this package delivered on the first attempt. You're overthinking a very simple concept.
How do you know someone isn't stopping by later to pick up the package you were supposed to leave?

Exactly and I will add that it is a method in our center to release ALL shipper release packages.

SWORDFISH

There are methods in place to both deliver the package on the first attempt and take care of the customer and neither of those involves leaving a pkg outside the front door of a closed business.

I have to deal with these customers daily and I would simply not feel right telling them that I left their pkg by the front door of their business when I knew full well that they were closed for the day.

I have yet to bring back a commercial Basic. I have also yet to DR a commercial Basic when that business was closed.

I have absolutely no problem DRing a residential Basic regardless of location.

Have you happend to read the directions that pop up in the diad when you scan a shipper release? Just curious.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Exactly and I will add that it is a method in our center to release ALL shipper release packages.

Have you happend to read the directions that pop up in the diad when you scan a shipper release? Just curious.

Looks like I am not the only who has the ability to assess the situation and do the right thing for the customer.

Isn't a basic or shipper release package to compete with the post office? The post office often leaves their packages (mail) at businesses when they are closed. Many times in the weather. I often see a pkg we deliver to the post office sitting on top of the mailbox.

SWORDFISH

Isn't a basic or shipper release package to compete with the post office? The post office often leaves their packages (mail) at businesses when they are closed. Many times in the weather. I often see a pkg we deliver to the post office sitting on top of the mailbox.

YEP. I see that all the time. Right on the street sitting on top of the mailboxes w/ a note on it saying free merchandise.