Why didn't you dr the basic package?

CharleyHustle

Its kinda like bulk shippers shipping in bags, but we don't take bags from Mom and Pop. We don't insure items shipped in bags. If we mangle a LL Bean shirt in a bag, so what, LL Bean has thousands of shirts to replace it with. What they save by shipping tons of merchendise in bags they easly pay for the few mangled shirts. Basic is the same, what they save on shipping easily covers the stuff that goes missing. Frankly checks are cheap and easly replaceable and darn near impossible to cash without proper ID. The only time I could possibly think of not leaving a basic is multiple businesses behind a single locked gate or door.

govols019

You smell that?
Because I have an issue with leaving a box at the front door of a closed business where anybody and his brother can take it. I will indirect it if possible but will not DR to a closed business.

And that will earn you a warning letter in my center. That's not a decision that's up to you make.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Keep doing it and you'll be the one typing.....your resume. You're not as special as you think you are, I promise.

Never said I was. I guess you and I (and most of the others on this thread) have a different definition of customer service.

Now, if the center manager were to direct us to release all Basic and shipper release packages regardless of location or situation, I would work as directed. If the customer asks me why I would simply leave his package by the front door when he was closed for the day I would hand him the center phone number and tell him to ask for Roger. Until that happens I will continue to use the same delivery methods as I do for every other package, to include indirecting commercial Basic packages, if needed.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Never said I was. I guess you and I (and most of the others on this thread) have a different definition of customer service.

Now, if the center manager were to direct us to release all Basic and shipper release packages regardless of location or situation, I would work as directed. If the customer asks me why I would simply leave his package by the front door when he was closed for the day I would hand him the center phone number and tell him to ask for Roger. Until that happens I will continue to use the same delivery methods as I do for every other package, to include indirecting commercial Basic packages, if needed.

Don't forget to check for that prompt today in the nondelivery field telling you to put it in will call in the case of driver descretion.
If the DIAD tells you to do it, isn't that working as directed?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I will read that prompt more carefully today but this "will call" option is something that I have never heard about or been PCMed about regarding Basic.
Remember, it's not the initial prompt, rather the one you get when you hit nondel option. It's my contention that this prompt makes will call a viable alternative within the system, while preserving the packages' profitability.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Remember, it's not the initial prompt, rather the one you get when you hit nondel option. It's my contention that this prompt makes will call a viable alternative within the system, while preserving the packages' profitability.
ive never dr'd a basic to a high traffic business,, its just wrong, we are told in my center to do the right thing,, its common sense . there are no threats involved and ive never heard a word about 2nd attempting a basic pkg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm glad you clarified as I didn't see anything on the first page about "will call".

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would never bring back a basic package. I don't care if they're closed, and I definitely don't care what's in it! The shipper wants it released on the first attempt. I'm not sure why some of you want to piss off our paying customer who has selected basic service to get this package delivered on the first attempt. You're overthinking a very simple concept.

Here, basics get dr'd regardless. Resi or bus. Open or closed. Period. If there is a less conspicous place to dr a busi, then I will and leave an info notice. If not, oh well.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This will call thing is a new one on me too.

The only problem with this premise is that often times the consignee does not know that their package is coming via Basic, especially if the shipper offers free shipping. Driver releasing a package at a closed commercial location with high visibility is just something that I do not feel comfortable doing and I would have no problem explaining my discomfort if I ended up bringing it back as a paid send again.
Ok, granted I've been on vacation for 2 weeks, but I haven't heard of this either. Is this ability to 'will call' a basic that new?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Looks like I am not the only who has the ability to assess the situation and do the right thing for the customer.

Dave, I think the majority of us will do the best we can for our customers (shippers and cnee alike). We each assess our own situations independently but we also have to work within the confines of what our mgt requires. There is no right and wrong here. I do not disagree with what you are doing, is just not the way some of us have to handle it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I'm glad you clarified as I didn't see anything on the first page about "will call".

Ok, granted I've been on vacation for 2 weeks, but I haven't heard of this either. Is this ability to 'will call' a basic that new?

Not according to Bubblehead.

The prompt has always been there.
If you are a driver who has always left the basic package no matter what, you probably have never come across the prompt.
If you hit the nondel key for a basic ( that's a package with a service code of PP in the tracking number), the following prompt will appear.
This is what I do when I deem a release point as questionable for a basic package.
If it's not feasible within the methods, then why is the prompt in the DIAD?
04262010222.jpg

over9five

Staff member
Here, basics get dr'd regardless. Resi or bus. Open or closed. Period. If there is a less conspicous place to dr a busi, then I will and leave an info notice. If not, oh well.

Thank you for doing the right thing. These people who make up their own rules because they're uncomfortable doing what they're supposed to do are going to piss off our customers AND LOSE US BUSINESS!

over9five

Staff member
These people? Just call us Steve and sometimes Dave.:happy2:

Sorry Steve. It's like I said......If I'm a customer who sends a package basic because I want it left on the first attempt, and the UPS driver decides he's smarter than me and DOESN'T leave it....I'm sending it Fed-Ex next time.