Why do some veteran drivers prefer swinging over their own route?

PACNW

I cover drove for 10 years and mostly loved it. Never planned on bidding a route til the one that I lived on came up. Crappy route, but was already built where it was right next to my house at lunchtime. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to be home for lunch. If not for that fact, I'd still be happily covering.

Omega man

What drives me crazy are the old scab's that have a bid route but come off it all the time for something "better".
This is forbidden. It undermines the whole bid process. Bid drivers must do their bids. If they want to do other routes they must first give up their bid. Talk to your Union rep.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is forbidden. It undermines the whole bid process. Bid drivers must do their bids. If they want to do other routes they must first give up their bid. Talk to your Union rep.
Not forbidden. A driver with a bid route can be asked if he will run another route but he can't be forced to do so. He can't tell management he wants to run another route that day but he can run another route if asked and he agrees to do so.

By The Book

Strong words, but I agree with your logic. If they've exhausted all options and have no one left is about the only time it should happen. Cross train people!

Grey

I cover drove for 10 years and mostly loved it. Never planned on bidding a route til the one that I lived on came up. Crappy route, but was already built where it was right next to my house at lunchtime. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to be home for lunch. If not for that fact, I'd still be happily covering.

How were you notified a route was open for bidding?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
How were you notified a route was open for bidding?
A route and the boundaries of said route and description is placed up on a bulletin board for a set amount of time and anyone who is qualified to bid the route may do so. The route is then given to the person wanting it who has the highest seniority.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
My building doesn't let you bid routes. You bid a start time and are guaranteed work over the guy below you. It's so weird but you technically don't have a route.

By The Book

What drives me crazy are the old scab's that have a bid route but come off it all the time for something "better".
I agree with that., and the persons post who said it was forbidden. I just thought his post was a little( let me tell you how it's going to be boss). I probably would get nowhere as a steward if I made demands like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not forbidden. A driver with a bid route can be asked if he will run another route but he can't be forced to do so. He can't tell management he wants to run another route that day but he can run another route if asked and he agrees to do so.

Our center manager would disagree with you. He seems to think he can move bid drivers around as he sees fit .

Omega man

Not in my Local. Sounds like yours allows shenanigans. My condolences.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

There are 5 bids up in my area what to do???? I could win 3. 1 in the building closest to my house I'm not going to win and 1 is a cover in the same center I'm in. Two are routes one not bad one rural in thecother center in my building that opened due to a drivers retirement. The other is cover in another building about the same distance I drive to work now so really not a good option.

Last edited: