Why do UPSers Keep Coming Back to the Brown Cafe?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think many come here to vent about the frustrations of their job.
Some come here because they are lonely.
Some come here to enjoy the back and forth of discussion.
Some come here to post ad hominem attacks on UpState.
Some take it a step further and come here for mirth and general enjoyment.

The last is the main reason I come back ... it is rather entertaining and quite amusing.
I think I have learned more about human nature on here than I have working at UPS for almost 40 years.
It is more primal, even primeval at times, and more honest than the real world (except for Current Events).
It also reenforces the futility of changing big things, so one tends to develop a sardonic response to the insidious evil of these banal discussions.
Sort of like an interactive Seinfeld episode.
It is what it is.

Why do you come here?

After a period of time, I will set up a Poll so we can stand in relation to the overall BC Community.

Added reasons:
BC exposes me to aspects of UPS I would never experience in my UPS world.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I laugh when people mention attacks on upstate.....where were you all when he attacked menotyou and drove her from this site....or when he said he liked messiing with my mind and spent weekends saying everything snide that he could to me.

Anytime he pops off to me, he will get called Nancy. He makes it like being pecked to death by a duck.

Upstate's post

No, I have found that screwing with the closed-minded is much more fun.

over9five

Staff member
I come here for fun.... I think.....but the hate posts are becoming more numerous than the fun posts.
I've bailed on Current Events. Way too much hate going on in there. Not what I want to read.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I laugh when people mention attacks on upstate.....where were you all when he attacked menotyou and drove her from this site....or when he said he liked messiing with my mind and spent weekends saying everything snide that he could to me.

Anytime he pops off to me, he will get called Nancy. He makes it like being pecked to death by a duck.

Upstate's post

Some of UpState's post do get deleted but rarely in the last couple of years.
He understands the rules of the TOS and goes up to the line but rarely over it.
He concentrates on behavior and posts and concentrates his attacks on these rather than the person.

Calling him Nancy is an ad hominem attack on him personally and reflects the inability of the person to develop a cogent, logical argument to the point he has made.

I don't think anyone feels sorry for UpState when he is attacked ... especially UpState, as he appears to relish these attacks.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Upstate's post

More, with respect, I recall Upstate defended menotyou and he was NOT the reason she left the site.

Why BC?

BC exposes me to aspects of UPS I would never experience in my UPS world.

texan

I come here for fun.... I think.....but the hate posts are becoming more numerous than the fun posts.
I've bailed on Current Events. Way too much hate going on in there. Not what I want to read.

So true on current events. It is rough in there.
hurt.gif

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Agreed and I don't bother moderating Current Events with the hope that those type of people stay there and don't come onto the rest of the site.

The FedEx forum is quickly approaching the same kind of hateful place with little or no exchange of ideas but that is primarily due to a couple of members ... one who unfortunately returned recently after a brief (way too brief) hiatus.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Some of UpState's post do get deleted but rarely in the last couple of years.
He understands the rules of the TOS and goes up to the line but rarely over it.
He concentrates on behavior and posts and concentrates his attacks on these rather than the person.

Calling him Nancy is an ad hominem attack on him personally and reflects the inability of the person to develop a cogent, logical argument to the point he has made.

I don't think anyone feels sorry for UpState when he is attacked ... especially UpState, as he appears to relish these attacks.

this from the mod who called someone a ignorant slut!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ive made friends here.
I get my news here.
Ive got info here.
I belong here.
As a moderator I try real hard to be fair.
As a mother I hate the childish fighting.
I like when we can civily discuss our differing opinions, in an adult like forum.
And I do learn sometimes, Im not right.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I come here because it's comforting to know other people have it worse than me lol. I learn new things on here everyday and most people don't understand what we go thru.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
this from the mod who called someone a ignorant slut!

Humor escapes some people.

Google the phrase "ignorant slut".

Perhaps you are too young to remember Saturday Night Live (SNL) skits with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain.

I have used that "outtake" on several occasions and other seem to find humor in it.

And BTW, the appropriate reply to "You ignorant slut" is, "You pompous ass".

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

Hate.

• I feel this this dirty word creeps into many posts like a fungus and spreads spores all over the forum.

Compassion.
Respect.

We have this here. It is not buried.

We had a moment on BC this spring.
It was pure.
It was clean.
It caused tears to blur my screen and open my heart to all BC members.
It reminded me that we are a collective of the most powerful employees in the world.
We can fight but kick the hateful words aside for a moment in time...

It was Lung Cancer Awareness and support for our beloved Dizzee.
(If you smoke, really, please STOP!)

That weekend we joined as one and changed our avatars.
We are strong.

We are UPS (and we welcome FedEx)

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Humor escapes some people.

Google the phrase "ignorant slut".

Perhaps you are too young to remember Saturday Night Live (SNL) skits with Dan Akroyd and Jane Curtain.

I have used that "outtake" on several occasions and other seem to find humor in it.

And BTW, the appropriate reply to "You ignorant slut" is, "You pompous ass".

dont get me wrong, i found it to be very funny