Why do we fail to follow proper driver release methods?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Future will get you fired here if the customer didnt request it.We had a driver get fired for futuring missed pkgs and she was told to do it by on car supe.Union got her job back and no,nothing was done to supe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Futuring a package implies that the consignee wants a later delivery date.
By doing it that way the shipper is not receiving the service they contracted.
It is dishonest.
Missed is the proper way.

It's not missed. I was at the delivery point and was uncertain about the condition of the package. By using Future it allows the PM clerk to inspect the package and either rewrap it and put if OFD or RTS it.

UPS pays the wholesale price for damaged goods if we RTS before attempting delivery but pays retail if we deliver it and the consignee discovers the damage.

I work as directed and as you read above menotyou received the same instructions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Future will get you fired here if the customer didnt request it.We had a driver get fired for futuring missed pkgs and she was told to do it by on car supe.Union got her job back and no,nothing was done to supe.

Were these suspected damages or where these pkgs that she would not have been able to deliver and get back to the building on time with her air?

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
They sent her out too heavy and supe told her to be off in 13 hrs, future the leftovers.A customer called in a complaint and they fired her. I have to admit it did scare the supe. He was sweet as maple syrup for a week

Re-Raise

Sounds like a lot of differenet and confusing instructions on how to handle possible damage.

I think a customer would prefer us to be more transparent and honest and just record the package as " returned for inspection of possible damage". Just like a missed package should be recorded as "loaded on wrong truck". It is too bad those options aren't available.

On a side note I have another perspective to add on damaged packages. I have been here long enough to have owned stock in OPL which used to be our overseas insurance company before the government stopped it.

OPL made millions selling insurance for our packages. If we didn't have some damages no one would pay for the overpriced insurance we sell them. UPS will never come out and say some damages are good for business but they aren't going to go too far in trying to eliminate them either.

If no ones house ever burned down people who sell fire insurance would be out of business. Just another angle to think about.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If I think a package may be damaged, I sheet it as missed and dirt it as such and write inspect for damage.
If a customer refuses a package because it is damaged, I sheet it refused/damaged.
I have been instructed not sheet them this way, but I do it anyway.
I am not required to follow instructions that are dishonest and I will not help them artificially manufacture a false stat.
Bubblehead,

You are great testimony to the truth that "working as directed" does not justify an employee doing something that is known to be wrong.

Every employee if fully responsible for doing what they know to be true and right, even if you have to stand alone. "Working as directed" absolves no one.

I admire you commitment to doing the right thing.

Sincerely,
I

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's not missed. I was at the delivery point and was uncertain about the condition of the package. By using Future it allows the PM clerk to inspect the package and either rewrap it and put if OFD or RTS it.

UPS pays the wholesale price for damaged goods if we RTS before attempting delivery but pays retail if we deliver it and the consignee discovers the damage.

I work as directed and as you read above menotyou received the same instructions.

It is missed.
Did the shipper or consignee ask for the delivery to be delayed or was it because a failure of service?
We offer services with time in transit guarantees and due to the mishandling of the package it is not being delivered within the guaranteed time frame.
By sheeting it as future you are misrepresenting the circumstances and prohibiting the shipper from applying for a refund.
You are falsifying records whether instructed or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Integrity

If the drivers in my center are directed by our (former--since retired) District security supervisor to sheet suspected damages as Future then they will be sheeted as Future. We are talking about semantics here--in the end we are both doing the right thing by not delivering the suspected damages and bringing them back to the center for inspection. Truth be told, I don't feel that strongly about the issue to take a stand on it and damn sure am not ready to lose my job over it.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
When you guys have a damaged package do they make you sheet it as "refused; didn't want?"

We are not to sheet it at all. The clerk inspects and enters the exceptions according. If it is damaged then the clerk does the damage detail. If it is okay for delivery then the package is put back out for delivery. Though it is a day late it is still better than taking the chance of customer receiving damaged items.

Borderline 9.5

It's missed, putting future is just sugar coating it. If future is acceptable why don't we use this for all the misloads then?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity

If the drivers in my center are directed by our (former--since retired) District security supervisor to sheet suspected damages as Future then they will be sheeted as Future. We are talking about semantics here--in the end we are both doing the right thing by not delivering the suspected damages and bringing them back to the center for inspection. Truth be told, I don't feel that strongly about the issue to take a stand on it and damn sure am not ready to lose my job over it.
UpstateNYUPSer,

I respect your decision. It is your decision to make and it is your job that you are resonsible to protect in the manner that you see fit.

I judge no man.

I do make judgements as to what I believe is right and wrong and in my judgement the former District security supervisor should have been fired as opposed to retired.

A District Security Supervisor should be held to a higher account due to the Security Dept's involvement in falsification of records dismissals.

A company needs a corrupt Security Dept. just like a town needs a corrupt Police Force.

Just food for thought;

If you ever run into a problem with these semantics do you think he will come out of retirement to testify as to what he directed?

Sincerely,
I

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Integrity

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
For me the issue is the truth and it's always worthwhile.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We are not to sheet it at all. The clerk inspects and enters the exceptions according. If it is damaged then the clerk does the damage detail. If it is okay for delivery then the package is put back out for delivery. Though it is a day late it is still better than taking the chance of customer receiving damaged items.

Same here, we are instructed not to sheet damages, just turn them into the clerk and let them handle it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think 407 is talking about catching the damage before attempting delivery. We sheet those as Future (per B.Salontino) and type "damage" in the remarks.

If a customer refuses, then it should be entered as refused.
What happened to NOT loading damaged packages? When I was preloading I was taught to send all damages to the clerk. My drivers would give me crap if they found a damaged packaged that had not been cleared by the clerk. This has come down to numbers. It's not a matter of customer service anymore, it's just UPS and their numbers. Get everything delivered.

If a customer refuses a package that is obviously damaged we can't even sheet it REF/DAM. I've had to be CREATIVE at the customers insistence and at the risk of an ass chewing by management. When it comes right down to it, I'm going to take care of my customer. In the end, the customer is the one that foots my paycheck.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

​And what about the customer? That customer ordered something and expected to receive it at a certain time. It screws the customer.

I ordered things for the wedding and did so allowing enough time for shipping issues. Wrong thing sent, damages etc. I did so knowing what we deal with every day. I'm glad I did because I had one shipper send the wrong thing. I had time to correct the mistake. Not all customers do this, which is the customers mistake, but that is not the point. UPS needs to be honest and above board with its dealings with the customers and that is NOT always the case. We are caught in the middle.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Integrity

You are right in that - (insert hilited) - but how it is being done is WRONG. Just sayin...........

I like Re-Raises idea. Now that is being honest.
I think a customer would prefer us to be more transparent and honest and just record the package as " returned for inspection of possible damage". Just like a missed package should be recorded as "loaded on wrong truck". It is too bad those options aren't available.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i thought the topic was bad dr's... why do we make them? because if we have to many send agains we have to go back later,,