Why do we fail to follow proper driver release methods?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Would you prefer that we walk up to your door and show you the trashed package?

I could care less whether or not you walk up to my door and show me the trashed package. At that point, the only thing I care about is that I can get a refund of the shipping charges that I paid to have my package delivered by a certain date. I cant do that if you the driver has dishonestly sheeted my package as "futured" or "emergency conditions" instead of "missed."

If we damage a customers package, we ought to at least have the decency to be honest about it rather than jerking them around and making them fight to get the refund that they are entitled to.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If it comes to me standing on a doorstep with the customer and I have a damaged(or presumed damaged) package in my hand, I invite the customer to open the package and inspect the contents while I am watching. THEY say that if the customer opens the package the customer accepts receipt of the package and it is then their problem. I say..... if the contents are damaged and I was there to witness the customer opening the package and the damage(or not) then I will take the package back for a damage inspection. The clerk has to open the package anyway.....right? I will explain the process to the customer and try to smooth it out as best I can.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If it comes to me standing on a doorstep with the customer and I have a damaged(or presumed damaged) package in my hand, I invite the customer to open the package and inspect the contents while I am watching. THEY say that if the customer opens the package the customer accepts receipt of the package and it is then their problem. I say..... if the contents are damaged and I was there to witness the customer opening the package and the damage(or not) then I will take the package back for a damage inspection. The clerk has to open the package anyway.....right? I will explain the process to the customer and try to smooth it out as best I can.
That is a dicey proposition, doing that. I understand that you are trying to help the customer but you are putting your job at risk. UPS is not unique in it's requirement that the customer can't open a package unless it is accepted by the customer. All freight companies are the same. By taking back a package that is open, you are risking being accused if something comes up missing between point A and point B. The odds of that happening are slim but it only takes 1 time.

If my customer wants to inspect to see if there are damages I explain to them that once they open the package it is theirs but I will also note in the diad that the package was damaged. When they call in to file a claim it is already noted that there was something damaged.

union4life

Wow, I guess I really an not surprised that there are so many ways to get around (justify) what is "right". We had this subject come up early in the year in my center. I suspect there are plenty of drivers in my center doing one if not all of the "methods" listed on these previous pages.

I hate to admit it, however, a few of us call the 1-800 number whenever there is an integrity issue in the center. Some here have said the number is a joke, but in my center the action is always swift and the results are always on the money (so far, knock on something).

If a damaged package (lets say broken glass) is loaded on my car, and I don't notice until I get to the stop (literally in front of the stop), I sheet the package as "non-delivery"-"other"-"other" and type in "damaged".

In my center, we were instructed not to ever use the "other"-"other" function but after that 1-800 call nothing was ever said about that again.

The only reason we do this is because up until the 1-800 call, there used to be a a selection in the "other non-delivery" menu for "damaged". If you recall, it was letter "c". Now, letter "c" is blank.

On the other side, if I make it to the door with a package that the customer suspects is damaged, I scan it, ask the customer if they wish to accept it or refuse it. If they refuse the package, I sheet it as "refused" and then select "damaged".

After either of these scenarios, I send a message to the center with the tracking number and the disposition of the package "damaged". Man they hate that. However, not a single person has ever been disciplined in my center for following this method.

Borderline 9.5

The training in the diad today featured damaged packages and how to properly record them. MISSED. not future, not emergency conditions, not inspection missed. Glad they finally clarified this.

clarnzz

How about sheet them as damaged if we can't do that why is it even in the board?

We've been told if we sheet them as "refused damaged" it is like writing a check for a claim. We are told to sheet them as "other non-delivery damaged" without letting the customer see it and returning it for inspection. The diad training today instructing us to sheet them as "missed" is interesting.

Buck Fifty

We were informed to ignore the training and not sheet any known damage packages. Just bring them back to the clerk. Gotta love it !!!

Packmule

Stopping a pkg that looks bad is the preload's job. I drive a p700, jammed to the rafters every day, and usually the most crushed pkgs are the large ones that either weigh a lot or are not nearly taped well enough. I have very little room to work with inside a p700, and forgive me, but bringing it back usually means it gets beat to death even worse, or at best, it will have a bit of tape slapped on it, (which I could have done myself). Then I am even heavier the next day. So I tape it and deliver it. 99% of the time, there is no return to pick up due to damage. Just works for me.

clarnzz

To all,

We obviously can't control some of internal processes that intentionally and knowingly trash customers packages.

The crushing way that the packages are processed on the conveyor systems is obviously out of the control of anyone but the most courageous.

Who is actually brave enough to stop a conveyor when the crush is on?

Brave has nothing to do with it. What do you think would happen to a loader that failed to work as directed and refused to turn the belt on to protect a customers packages? Someone from Atlanta showing up at their panel thanking them for putting the customer first?

The widespread throwing, the dropping, the breaking open of packages is chronic, blatant and obviously acceptable to the management.
I've only found it to be acceptable if it's unintentional, or the result of an employee ignoring the collateral damage from trying to reach production standards.

The inability to process larger packages (over 70s) is clearly evident by seeing the daily destruction of many of them.
I worked the irreg tram in the hub for many years. Most of the damaged ones were from poor packaging. I think we are capable of processing them if they are packaged well.

This being said, it would be an act of integrity by any employee to be brave and show courage by controlling what they can personally control to protect the customers property.

I agree, if everyone did their part to help protect customers packages we would provide a far better service. Unfortunatly this is a utopian viewpoint that is unattainble, especially when packages cars are loaded daily with 40 lb packages of bolts on top of 5 lb pancakes er... packages. Then when you make a big deal out of it and complain you are viewed as a "problem".

Following driver release methods is one way drivers can control the service level of the packages that they handle.

In a recent thread a driver didn't properly protect a package from the snow. Placing an unbagged package in the snow is not protecting it from the snow.

Package delivery companies take peoples money and their property. They owe the customer. The customer does not owe them.

We owe the customer.

How do you do with driver release bags?

I rarely use them.

What are some of the reasons you do not not use them every time you should?

I think the customer should take proper precaution that their parcel could become wet, and customers should be made aware of this possibly.

Is there proper inventory control with DR bags at your center?

We always have plenty.

I know we had 2 very rainy days that many of us went out without DR bags.

I did not have this problem, but I know many others did.

Please if you have a view point please participate in this discussion.

Don't let the snarky, sarcastic responses intimidate you from sharing. You'll get to know who you can expect this from.

They seem to usually mean no harm but who cares be courageous, share anyway.

Sincerely,
I