Why Do We Use Custom-Made Package Cars?

rod

Retired 22 years
One of the best trucks I ever had...was a 1994 International P-7 with the Powerstroke diesel/ 5 spd manual combo. It had almost 300,000 miles on it when they sent it away....it was slow, but it had a great seat with plenty of legroom and it had the lowest step height of any vehicle in the fleet. With the power steering and 3 pt belt, it was a safe and ergonomically efficient work platform.

I enjoyed my Int P-7 diesel also. I got it brand spanking new- the only new vehical I ever had at UPS. Going from an old P-800 with a zillion miles on it to the P-7 was like going to heaven. It actually had a clutch pedal that was easy to push down and the power steering was like having a 10 ton weight lifted off me. It did quit running the 2nd day I had it (it would only idle) so I called to the big shots in Minneapolis (no one answered the phone at my center- it was Friday you know) and they told me to check the throttle linkage from the pedal in the cab. They all but called me a liar when I told them there was none- its all run by some computer box connected by a little wire. I spent half the day ideling around town making my deliveries until they finally got a different vehical to me.:wink2:

The sprinters here are all yard checker/shop trucks. Sboxes. The funny thing about them is they must have a consciousness about them as they are always trying to commit truck suicide by popping out of park and rolling away until they crash into something.

LOUPS78

I've driven everything from the old 400's (Internationals), 500's (Fords introduced in the late 70's), 600's(complete with vacuum brakes and windshiled wipers as well as wooden shelves and bulkhead doors), 800's(Ford , GMC or Internaional) 1200's (can't remember what the model was) a stint of oversized vans similar to an ambulance rated as a 300, (circa early 80's) and the 24Ft box trucks. I'm currently driving a 2007 Workhorse, 1000. Big V8, dual exhaust, gas engine, goes like a rocket. Very ergonomically designed, plenty of cab room, p/s, auto transmission, great heat and low to the ground. Best vehicle I've ever worked out of. The only downside that I can see is the mpg at about 4.8. I was surprised at the ineficiency of the vehicle. I average about 60 miles per day and fill up daily, 13gals. I'd be interested in hearing an opinion on the Workhorse cars from a mechanics viewpoint.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As great as you people think the Sprinters were... I beg to differ.

First off, if you're tall, this thing was a disaster. It had absolutely no leg room, was hard to get in and out of, and a pain when it came to sorting in the back.

During the summer all you could open up was the windows to let some air in. Guaranteed sweat box, might as well be a sardine can.

I also thought the visibility was terrible this thing.

We had a couple of Sprinters for awhile, but we sent them away. They were just too small to contain any of our routes. I think there are still a few at the airport that are used for Saturday air.

LETS BREAK IT DOWN FOLKS;
p32 Ford 4.2L v-6, power steering and comfortable to drive, not much maintenance required.

P500 Gmc 292 and 4.3L straight 6 and v-6 JUNK, trucks just fall apart and are forever being worked on.

P500 Work horse 6.0L v-8 gas and V-6 diesel International, also JUNK diesel engines have issues out the ass and the body wiring sucks!! although the gas engine is much better.

P700 Freight liner straight six Cummings diesel, engine is pretty solid and the body stinks, major frame issues, they are slowly going to the big junk pile of metal near you!

p700 International, 7.3L v-8 diesel, good engine, strong and long lasting, body is OK, nothing to major to deal with, will be around for the remainder of its 20-25 year cycle.

P700 Freight liner MB904 Mercedes Benz straight 6, so far so good, only problem so far is they can't move out of there own way!!, good ergonomics, good steering and brake feel. we'll see.....

p700 Cummings straight six Isb engine (new) so far they are good, powerful, QUIET, and feel good to drive.

p800 GMC 4.3L v-6 time has proved this truck to be solid, all kinks worked out and other than the occasional engine and tranny replacement its a legend.

p1000, GMC 4.3L, same as previous.

p1000, freight liner MB904 6, just the same as it's p700 little brother.

p1000 Cummings ISB 6, same as p700, but Bigger!

p1000, International T444E v-8 and VT365 v-8, the first engine is proven to last, the second should have never been made from an automotive stand point! PROBLEMS running good breakdowns are eminent, smoking and low power will happen!!

p1000 Ford, straight 6 Cummings engine, this truck stinks of breakdowns, hydraulic park brakes suck and cause most of them. should have never been built for us!

And then theres the 1200's and 24' trucks, majority of which are Internationals and are generally OK

sorry to tell you but the MB904 are 4 cyl's that why they cann't get out of there own way

bbsam

Staff member
Just for comparison, Ford Triton v-8's and v-10's are unbelievable. i At our Fedex Home delivery terminal, we have many p500's with over 400,000 miles on the origal engines and transmissions. Granted they aren't hauling 18,000 pounds, but for the most part once they're fired up in the morning, they run all day. Lot's of hours and lot's of miles.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The problem with Sprinters is the amount of maintenance required and since the word Mercedes is on the parts box the cost of parts is terrible. If you have to replace an engine or transmission it is usually expensive enough to justify scrapping the car! Contrary to popular belief the Sprinter is as much or more than the rest.

I was told we're no longer buying them, due to previously mentioned maintenance issue. Purpose-built (custom) vehicles usually far outlast regular vehicles pressed into commercial service. The oldest walk-ins we have that I know of go were built in 1984 (W600) although there might be older ones out there. Unless they have some sort of bad design flaw, all of our vehicles (except Econolines and F250's, Suburbans and other non-customs)are supposed to go for 20 years before they can be retired.

I'm guessing most of the Sprinters will last about 5-8 years. They are junk.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
This is the War Pony I ride every day.
A 1988 with 800,000 miles on the OD and it is the tightest car I have driven for UPS.
Very few mechanical problems.
The only problem I have is the way the windshield wipers swipe.
They only cover about 40% and the right side mirror can not be seen during a heavy rain.
If it is night and raining, it is a very unsafe vehicle to drive.

And they handle so well when you a new set of tire! NOT!

rod

Retired 22 years
I think the most challenging one I drove was a 1946 Dodge I had one peak season about 1972. I could only imagine how many miles was on that piece. It had a shelf up front in the cab that you could line up about 25 stops. It had about 20 toggle switches on the dash--19 of which didn't seem to control anything.:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
It had about 20 toggle switches on the dash--19 of which didn't seem to control anything.:wink2:

What was that commercial? The guy's standing in his living room asking his wife, "What does this switch do?" as he's flipping it on and off. Then you see outside the home and the neighbors garage door is going up and down smashing her car!!

Wonder what you were REALLY doing when you played with those switches???

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
You should be happy that you never had to deliver out of an old P4. Slant nose front, low bulkhead door, lously driving position. Old ford 300 inline six, louder than Van Halen, and when you hit the brakes- you went faster...........

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
wait you mean you guys don't have p21's(dodge caravans at your facility? mine comes equipped with goodies like air conditioning:happy-very:
2104.jpg

john346

No more Brown!
I had one of the first Sprinters in our center, it went fast as hell, sucked the dust in with the best of them, and was easy on fuel. But after time the electronic extras were not up to par, the mud in spring played havoc on the abs system, and delivering out of it was a pain at first, but became livable. The trick I found for the dust from the rear doors that continually shook the latch assembly loose, was a set of motorcycle straps to pull the suckers in tight.
Overall, they just were not built for the beating that a daily life in brown dishes out.
My most memorable experience in the car was my first August in it, I kept telling myself that I was being a wimp over how hot it was in the car. On the dirt roads you didn't dare roll down a window as that would really invite the dust in, and the way the vent system ran around the engine, the outside air was warm by the time it reached the cab. While returning to the highway (asphalt), I felt something wet hit my bare leg, I looked up to see where the moisture had come from, and the bloody glue attaching the air bag warning sticker on the visor was dripping. I then stopped trying to convince myself that I was a wimp, I knew it was damned hot in there.