Why does everything that's shipped International require a signature?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Express Courier, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Express Courier

Express Courier Active Member

Probably a good reason but I've never heard why that is.
  2. CJinx

CJinx Well-Known Member

Because they are a giant pain in the ass as-is, why not make it a little more so?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  3. dex 84

dex 84 Active Member

The shipping cost is too high to risk having to lose it over a disputed driver release.

At least that's what I've been told when I asked this question.
  4. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

They were supposed to roll out international releases, here in 2015. Never heard what happened with that but we were also supposed to be rolling out international releases in 2013 too. I'll believe it when I see it.
  5. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Used to be if a customer had a release on file we could use it for international until one day the power pad wouldn't allow it. Of course they made the change without telling us first.
  6. Express Courier

Express Courier Active Member

At times I'll get flowers that came from mexico and I'm thinking, really, I need to bring these flowers back because no one answered the door? A few times I'll go into shipper release and type in the shipper name but not sure I should be doing that. But seriously, it's stupid most of the time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Slick silver

Slick silver Active Member

I love it that their P1 also.
  8. OrioN

OrioN Active Member

I thought they were considered "perishables" and we can DR them, even at a closed business.

Over at HD anyways, ill get FTD, or proflowers that came from outside the country and the boxes say ok to DR...
  9. FedExer267

FedExer267 Member

I DR Pro Flowers everywhere.
  10. McFeely

McFeely Huge Member

I ran into this yesterday. Have somewhat of a PITA customer that runs a blinds business out of his house. Wants the blinds (Int'l) delivered to the garage in the alley, but gotta go to the house to get a signature. So I set him up with a Signature Release on file...evidently that won't work on these international ISRs. So much for trying to be efficient in my P1s.
  11. Cactus

You can provably thank the legal department for
    this. They're real good at making our jobs harder than they need to be.
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Put yourself in the shipper's shoes. Would you really want to send something to England or Italy and have the courier just leave it by the front door?
  13. Cactus

Most shippers don't have clue.
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

That's true but doesn't answer my question.
  15. Cactus

Who said I have to answer it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  16. TheJackal

TheJackal Active Member

Makes sense to me.
    MOST, not all, flower shippers have shipper release numbers. Check with your SAL.
    Recipient release numbers won't work for any Int'l shipments. Have them sign a bunch of doortags and keep them in your truck.
    Did you expect a serious answer?
  17. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Just give him a whole pack of door tags...we have a few businesses like this.
  18. 13zipcodes

13zipcodes Member

is this just for express? because i DR internationals.
  19. Cactus

Ground releases everything.

Alcohol shipments, firearms, signature required, valuables, no problem.
  20. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Active Member

Rumor (gasp!) has it that Homeland Security is the cause, what with worldwide terrorism, pipe bombs, anthrax spores, etc. Nasty stuff to leave on an unsuspecting doorstep.