why does Ground keep ignoring residential pickups?

HomeDelivery

so i go deliver 2 items to an apt hi-rise complex w/ a doorman...

he ask me if i'm Ground & I point to my shoulder w/ the dog logo & say, i'm Home Delivery that works on Saturdays

"well, we have 2 items waiting on Ground to pick them up for over a week now"

"why are they neglecting them?"

me, "i have no idea; maybe it's not worth the Ground driver's time to pick up 2 boxes"

"tell the residents to drive it down the street to the 24-hour Kinko's, i mean FedEx Office at the shopping center or request to have Home Delivery pick up the returns instead for future cases"

doorman thanks me

i go and drop them off at the kinko's later in the day during my RTB time so he can finally get credit for the p/ups... or should i have waited until Tues during the morning audit to let them know that Ground is still dropping the ball?

Hate 150lb Packages

Must be your day off bro :). I don't know. I get a pickup listing everyday that must be scanned with my scheduled business pickups, and any new residential pickups. If it's not on the list, I have a call tag the terminal manager hands me. Only thing I could think of... is that the Ground driver is just lazy and is waiting until he has a delivery or another pickup there.... or the package has no shipping label and it's a call tag and he didn't know. Probably option number 1. Maybe the driver is out on vacation and is being covered by a swing. Probably just a lazy driver. I know if I miss a pickup, the manager is on my ass. We have no HD here. Ground does business and all HD.

Hate 150lb Packages

I wouldn't have taken them to Kinkos. Customer service is fine, but liability is also. Guess who's liable if the packages are damaged/lost in transit? Hint: It isn't fedex, it isn't the customer, and it probably isn't the Ground guy. I WAD. I used to have no problem slipping Express envelopes into the local drop box or taking them to Kinko's, which is my daily pickup anyway. Customers look at me funny when I won't even touch their express envelopes. But going above and beyond is not one with the WAD.

bbsam

Staff member
Pick them up and stop being part of the problem. HD does do pickups now and regardless the small print Home Delivery, you are FedEx Ground.

!Retired!

It's not just residential. I've seen packages sit at a commercial stop for, sometimes, a week. After a few days, I sometimes take them, but only if the customer asks.

bbsam

Staff member
If we miss a pickup as contractors, I cost us 1/3 our monthly bonus. I find it hard to believe all of these are FedEx dropping the ball.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If we miss a pickup as contractors, I cost us 1/3 our monthly bonus. I find it hard to believe all of these are FedEx dropping the ball.

FedEx is not dropping the ball----these are prepaids that the driver knows nothing about. We have the same problem over here. It's kind of tough to make a pickup that we don't know about.

HomeDelivery

Pick them up and stop being part of the problem. HD does do pickups now and regardless the small print Home Delivery, you are FedEx Ground.

i know i'm a part of the Ground network & have been doing my listed pickups ever since then; but when i scan the prepaid label, we can't add any unscheduled pickups (yet)

so off it goes to the Kinko's or back to the AM auditor that will scan them into the system & be on their way back to the shipper <shrugs>

PS: don't even touch Express envelopes; let them know they are handled by "airport workers"

but if they say it's not a priority if it gets there after a few days, i shrug and drop it off at a dropbox if i find any on the route

bbsam

Staff member
i know i'm a part of the Ground network & have been doing my listed pickups ever since then; but when i scan the prepaid label, we can't add any unscheduled pickups (yet)

so off it goes to the Kinko's or back to the AM auditor that will scan them into the system & be on their way back to the shipper <shrugs>

PS: don't even touch Express envelopes; let them know they are handled by "airport workers"

but if they say it's not a priority if it gets there after a few days, i shrug and drop it off at a dropbox if i find any on the route

So the only one losing is the contractor. If it's up to me, I would have my drivers pick it up.

HomeDelivery

ah ok, but dropping them off to the nearby FX Office would help him get his bonus back.

the Ground side in my area are not doing so well in retaining competent drivers vs HD... they mostly have craigslist ads for temp drivers to help out those contractors that are lacking

whenIgetthere

The Ground driver probably isn't even aware that the packages are waiting to be picked up. I've seen this many times, and I ask if they've called for a pick-up, most times the answer is no.

HomeDelivery

The Ground driver probably isn't even aware that the packages are waiting to be picked up. I've seen this many times, and I ask if they've called for a pick-up, most times the answer is no.

we get a pickup listing every morning; should be the same w/ ground since i also worked at that other opco before... that driver just chose to be lazy and not do it. high turnover over there

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we get a pickup listing every morning; should be the same w/ ground since i also worked at that other opco before... that driver just chose to be lazy and not do it. high turnover over there

There is a difference between packages that the consignee shipped themselves and packages the consignee is returning with a prepaid label from the shipper. The packages the consignee shipped themselves will normally have a scheduled pickup (the consignee may choose to drop if off themselves thereby saving the pickup charge) while the consignee has to get the packages with the prepaid labels to the carrier themselves, usually by either handing it to the driver, leaving them at their normal delivery point so that the driver can take them or by bringing them to an ASO.

northbound

I can't believe that contractors allow drivers to miss pickups. It cost me a lot of dough for mistakes like that. I would agree that they are probably red label(prp) that haven't been called in. If that's the case how would a driver know to get them?

bbsam

Staff member
Not possible. The driver would have to reconcile the pickup in his scanner. Any called in pickup that is reconciled as a "zero package pickup" automatically generates a call from CPC to verify that there is not a package. The thought being that SOMEBODY called for a pickup and we need to make sure we do everything we can to chase it down. At worst another pickup would be scheduled for the following day.

HomeDelivery

or he can forge it on his scanner as zero packages to be re-scheduled for the following day & will roll it over until it benefits the driver? i've seen that happen

in our division, it's one attempt, then the customer must call in to reschedule & supply where on his/her residence we should pick the item up from (back door, garage, porch, etc) usually with no time commits, just date certain

HomeDelivery

I can't believe that contractors allow drivers to miss pickups. It cost me a lot of dough for mistakes like that. I would agree that they are probably red label(prp) that haven't been called in. If that's the case how would a driver know to get them?

​i dunno, they call 1.800.Go.Fedex to pick it up?

CJinx

Might be worth calling your ground counterpart and asking if they know about it. If they don't and can't or won't pick it up, why not throw it in your truck and let your station deal with it in the morning? Or bring it to a Kinkos if it's on your way?

CPC has come a long way but I wish they'd do a better job about making sure addresses are correct before sending the info to the stations. Not a week goes by that I don't get a business contact in my office asking me to research a bad address that CPC sent out. This is especially important when you have town names that are very similar and/or when multiple towns share a zip code. Names and phone numbers are usually not present on the pickup listing which makes this very difficult to solve.

CJinx

or he can forge it on his scanner as zero packages to be re-scheduled for the following day & will roll it over until it benefits the driver? i've seen that happen
That is an integrity issue. If the customer calls and complains, and CPC follows up accordingly, this could and should result in disqualification for the driver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
so i go deliver 2 items to an apt hi-rise complex w/ a doorman...

he ask me if i'm Ground & I point to my shoulder w/ the dog logo & say, i'm Home Delivery that works on Saturdays

"well, we have 2 items waiting on Ground to pick them up for over a week now"

"why are they neglecting them?"

me, "i have no idea; maybe it's not worth the Ground driver's time to pick up 2 boxes"

"tell the residents to drive it down the street to the 24-hour Kinko's, i mean FedEx Office at the shopping center or request to have Home Delivery pick up the returns instead for future cases"

doorman thanks me

i go and drop them off at the kinko's later in the day during my RTB time so he can finally get credit for the p/ups... or should i have waited until Tues during the morning audit to let them know that Ground is still dropping the ball?

For years now, I have been queried at least several times per week by customers about Ground shipments that have been sitting there for days, waiting to be picked-up. I always politely refuse the package and tell them to call the 800 number and complain. We are always hearing from Ground contractors here on BC how great Ground is and how far they've come in terms of improving service. So, why is this still happening? At Express, a missed pickup is a really big deal, and someone will be disciplined if there isn't a really good reason for not being there by the customer close time or just not getting it at all. With all of the turnover and new people, it has become much more of a problem than it used to be.