Why does UPS hate their employees?

JustTired

free at last.......
If you want to blame anybody for the state this company is in.....blame those who's bright idea it was to go public. You know...the ones who now sit on the outside on their pile of money and look in at the chaos they have caused.

That public offering, in my opinion, marked the beginning of the end of this company. It may take a while, but it'll come.

A

anonymous6

I've been reading these boards for a long time and have been reading all the horror stories about yelling and screaming and harrassment , etc. and in my 15 plus years i have not seen much.

yes, they get on to us about a lot of things but I haven/t seen yelling .

When I first started a supe with a rep for being a badass tried to intimindate me in front of a large group of drivers . I started screaming at him like "Who the hell do you think you're talking too? etc etc.

After that they pretty much left me alone.

I worked for 24 years for non union companies before UPS and had my share of actual fisticuffs to work and keep my job. My Dad taught me never to take guff from anyone.

I don't take crap and they all know it. You show me respect an I'll give respect right back otherwise stay away.

surviv'n_it

I would not recommend ups to anyone who does not have a real thick skin.
My son got offered a job after being a helper for 4 yrs and I told him I would kill him. They eat their young. If I had it to do over I would not do it. I have made more money here than ever. But your life is worth more than the money. They have lost the human part. you can be good, customers love you, you dont get hurt, injured or have an accident and you are pond scum. If you run late, and most of us do. JMHO peace out

toonertoo, you hit the nail on the head. I have never made as much as I have with UPS, but I have never been as miserable either. I guess it is just a catch 22, take the money but deal with the insults. If I could find a job that paid even half of what I earn now, I would leave and not look back. However, there are just not many out there, especially with the economy in a down turn.

surviv'n_it

If you want to blame anybody for the state this company is in.....blame those who's bright idea it was to go public. You know...the ones who now sit on the outside on their pile of money and look in at the chaos they have caused.

That public offering, in my opinion, marked the beginning of the end of this company. It may take a while, but it'll come.
You are right. Now looking back, it is more than a coincidence that since it went public that our treatment has gotten worse.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

110% agree

Now they feel squeezing the employees will make their stocks go up

A total shame and sham

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
With this economy,they feel that guys are so scared to loose their jobs that they will run their stones off to keep the S .S {salary supes} off their backs!!This happened in early 90's with a small recession back then,but not as bad!!!Hang tuff, when the volume rises they will be to busy counting the money $ & patting each other on the back ,they will lighten up!! everything runs in cycles here!!

diesel96

Remember, UPS brain trust empowers their mngmt puppets :puppet: to run this company as they want. As hourlies, we work as instructed (within the confines of our contract) and safely to achieve "a fair days work for a fair day's pay" and making it to your last stop, home and family. As long as you perform, with a supervisor riding your :censored2:, as you do without, you have nothing to worry about. They can bark up a tree :blahblah: all they want, just dot your I's and cross your T's and document any unusual events or delays during work in a log book everyday. If your mngmt team perfers to instill behavior manipulations :hypnosis: with their hourlies, so be it. Your not obligated to go the extra mile or give any extra effort as you would with a respectable mngmt team. It works both ways, especially with their poor staff planning.
I was once very vocal towards poor treating, combative mngmt teams during my pkg driving tenure, but now I've softened up because I feel like I work for a different company since going Feeders in 06'. Your treated so much differently than the go-go-go, :taz: rush-rush-rush at all cost mngmt mentality toward the pkg driver and inside part timer. All I can say is hang in there and hope for the anal, :oops: I mean annual mngmt shuffle....Most of us veterans have out lasted these starch shirt, tie wearing, soft palmolive hands on supervisors and managers with no people skills.( not all get in a tiz, they're are many managers that don't fall into that last statement, just some of the abrasive ones I've dealt with in the past):wink2:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
He's called my cell phone 4-5 times a day asking me what I'm doing.

Does he also ask you what you're wearing?? Joking...When my sup calls on my cell phone then asks me why I don't answer, I have one answer, I'm busy WORKING!!! If they want to contact me they can do it through dispatch.

Does he also ask you what you're wearing?? Joking...When my sup calls on my cell phone then asks me why I don't answer, I have one answer, I'm busy WORKING!!! If they want to contact me they can do it through dispatch.
I would tell them, " well, I'm NOT settin on my ass looking at a computer, what are YOU doing?" Then I would kindly tell them to not call my cell phone again for anything other than an emergency.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Always remember that, as a union hourly, you have far more job security and in many cases better pay and benefits than your supervisor does.

Use this to your advantage. When push comes to shove you can always make your manager more miserable than he can make you.

I dont personally enjoy pissing matches; I prefer cooperation and mutual respect. But if my sup wants to get into a pissing match with me he will quickly find that I have a bigger bladder, a longer nozzle, better aim, and far more tolerance for getting wet and smelly. He will quicly find that his effort and energy are better spent elsewhere.

backinbrown

respect my authority
The union is not in our favor anymore so we feel that our union isn't strong anymore as it used to be. I have no faith for the union because we're being kept in the dark for so many reasons from them. I can't win any grievances either.

Here in northern new england our local is very supportive we get harrassed daily about numbers, well you no what thats the companys worry we dont recognize the numbers you cant be fired for production numbers. So joe blow can do your route faster is he taking all his breaks is he taking his lunch, does he drive faster than he should does he run up driveways, i dont worry about what my supervisor says about other people i no i take my brakes and lunch when i should i dont take my lunch at the building at the end of the day, i will sort my truck before lunch we are aloud to sort our trucks,

i have been threatened and i have reported it, Your shop stewards should be squashing any threats made. I go to every local meeting every second sunday of every month, go to your meetings after meetings talk to your brother teamsters they will listen.

if you stand up for yourself and sups threaten 3 day ride so what dont let them touch a pkg dont let them sort the truck grab your package set it down grab hand rail get down pick up package bag package put it out of site take every minute of break dont sort during break, use your methods they are your friend. try to sell your sales leads just because supervisor is with you shouldnt mean you change how you do your job.

it takes what it takes to get our job done if we are working safe and yousing our methods than how can how long it took to do it matter. work safe one stop at a time the most important package we deliver is ourselves home to our familys every night,

W

westsideworma

110% agree

Now they feel squeezing the employees will make their stocks go up

A total shame and sham

I once heard the question asked "what about the shareholders?, what are you doing for them?" I thought in my head..."well what have they done for me lately/ever?" I'm sure I'm not alone in that. I care about my job and keeping it, I couldn't care less about getting more packges/business for us for the stock price, when i submit sales leads its for the workers (management and hourly) who would otherwise have to be laid off, not those that Just Tired mentions. I know that indirectly helps them, but why should you or I do anything specifically for them?

A

anonymous6

I have worked both ways. like a rabbit , cutting corners, going fast, not taking breaks ,etc. thinking i am helping the company that gives me a good living.

also have worked correctly, using the training and safety methods i have been taught.

sure, the latter method takes longer but if you look at the big picture, i.e. less wear and tear on the equipment and body, less stress and more satisfaction, I think we ( meaning UPS and all of us ) would be much better off doing things by the book.

I have told managers that the 5 seeing habits that we are taught work off the job as well as on especially GET THE BIG PICTURE. Maybe they should do that also.
FWOTS

I just thank God I'm not in delivery any more. What a shark infested pool it has become. It was getting bad when I left in 99'. I really don't know how you all put up with this "big brother" gestapo. Where the hell is the union that used to bust balls? They have become very passive imho. :sad-little:

Everyone is getting Paid now its all about the money...
Union's don't care about us... If we get fired they can't make full scale
dues any more they have to start at the progression dues rate....
Which means Less $$$ for them...
Any Union that would split a raise by 6-months, and let the company
put a GPS on us is selling us out... But without them
I wouldn't want to think about working for UPS...

What bothers me the most about drivers "stealing time" is this. If I spend 2 minutes talking to a customer, it's supposed to be on my time. But I am a UPS reresentative talking to a UPS customer. I don't hang out with any of these customers after work. If I am spreading goodwill among OUR customers, it should be on company time. I have been in package cars since 1992 and harrasment is at it's highest level since I've been here. With the new program we have my on road sup sits at his desk and "watches" my every move. He's called my cell phone 4-5 times a day asking me what I'm doing. It has gotten to the point I won't answer the phone when he calls. He has some of the junior drivers so scared, they won't take a lunch (they will record one) just to avoid his wrath. I don't know of any other occupation that the employees are as efficient as UPS service providers. 98% of us are exemplary representatives for our company. We go about our day with a good attitude toward our customers and try to always be upbeat, with a sense of humor. Most of our customers are happy to see us every day. Most of our customers can set their watch by us. We are the definition of consistency. If we treated our customers the way we are treated, Fedex would have a bunch of new customers. There... I'll get off my soapbox now.

If they record a lunch and don't take it uPS will nail them for falsifying
documents. Which is classified as dishonest acts...
Cardinal Sin.. C-ya... Ur Fired