Why does UPS hate their employees?

Sammie

UPS does not hate anybody as satellitedriver put it in the last paragraph above. There are those people at all levels that take out their frustration of micromanagement out on anyone or anything they can!

Even non-management get caught up in this. They may take it out on the package car or the customer who gets in their face or maybe the wife/husband and kids or maybe the dog!

Recognize it for what it is. A terrible and uncalled for reaction to being forced to do something you don't want to do

What people hate is ... being micromanaged! They lose sight of basic respect for each other.

And for those of you who think the grass is greener elsewhere .... LOL!

Even if we were self employed, I'm sure we'd still have days where we hated the boss. But after 30 years with UPS and with a spouse who's been a driver for 34 years, we know there are good managers and bad.

But who wants to work for a know it all who intimidates or an explosive fire eater or a pompous bulldozer? The ones who micro manage are nightmares also. Nobody wants to be run over when they're working. These tactic shows little trust in the employee, which is very insulting, and can play out that an employee can't think for himself. That's a bad place to be.

Unlike other industries, everything we do is very time sensitive. Within the UPS culture, everybody works like crazy, union people or not. From the preload to that NDA delivery to the drivers performing miracles for the public now that they can receive messages, to the pick up stops to the twilight sort wrapping up on time, it never stops. It's a well oiled machine and its workers can do it blindfolded. Not to feel appreciated shouldn't even be an issue.

Add to that poor communication at times, new rules and regulations that leave one wondering, drivers with too much volume because we won't hire enough and our own Devils Who Wear Prada who need to feel powerful.

But, as employees, we have our own sources of strength or we wouldn't have made it here this long. And we pride ourselves in our work. Yes, we are paid well and yes, our benefits are great. But like I tell my kids, life means getting dumped on at some point and complaining won't help, whining shows weakness and being rebellious will lose your fight. You should never offer excuses or apologies if you've done a good job. Standing tall and taking the high road, which gets old, is the only answer I've got.

upsgrunt

You sir, are the Colonel Kurtz of package car drivers. To quote Kurtz:

I have to admire someone that has the complete will to make the company live by the system they have created, 100% of the time. Amazing.

If the army had 10 divisions of men like you our problems in Afghanistan would be over very quickly.

(ok, I am done now with the Apocalypse Now references :happy2:).

Apocalypse Now has a lot of quotes that apply to UPS.

"The horror..............The horror"

And in reference to the bathrooms:

"It smelt like slow death in there"
:happy2:

MrGoodKatt

I worked as a driver helper and pm package handler last year for holiday season. I'm doing it this year and hate it. I'm sick of it already but I don't want to let the guys down in side. I'm just learning the scanner and other things and the night sup gets on me and I haven't even learned yet. It's annoying as hell and I dread going into that shift. I don't mind driver helping but I friend'ing hate the pm shift. I just wonder if the am shift might be better suited for me. I'm really struggling scanning the packages and stacking them. The new pm sup told me last night I was below average and that his guys at the other hub were much faster. I find it hard to believe anyone can keep up with a continuious stream of smalls and larges without it getting backed up. Especially having to scan it and stack it. Complete BS.

rod

Retired 22 years
I worked as a driver helper and pm package handler last year for holiday season. I'm doing it this year and hate it. I'm sick of it already but I don't want to let the guys down in side. I'm just learning the scanner and other things and the night sup gets on me and I haven't even learned yet. It's annoying as hell and I dread going into that shift. I don't mind driver helping but I friend'ing hate the pm shift. I just wonder if the am shift might be better suited for me. I'm really struggling scanning the packages and stacking them. The new pm sup told me last night I was below average and that his guys at the other hub were much faster. I find it hard to believe anyone can keep up with a continuious stream of smalls and larges without it getting backed up. Especially having to scan it and stack it. Complete BS.

I will let you in on a little secret. That pm sup was telling his guys at the other hub that they were below average and your hub was much faster. Its UPS management 101. You can never be as good as the other guy. Show up for work and work safe and don't let them get to you.

InsideUPS

Ask your new supervisor if he could demonstrate the proper work methods for you while you stand there and observe. A good supervisor will help you succeed rather than degrade your performance.

Also....you really need to know that the "other guy" filling in for you....... at the other hub....etc.. has always been faster and better than you will ever hope to be. Ignore, work safely, and clock out....... knowing that you do not have to put up with 1/10th of the crap that your supervisor has to put up with. Believe me....for every one negative comment he says about you.... he is getting 10 negative comments about himself on a daily basis...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Trust me, the grass is not any greener.....I've been working the AM shift for 7 years.....and most days I'm still a POS to management. You better learn the phrase "I'm working as fast as I safely can."

Omega man

UPS has a corrupt corporate culture where perfect results are demanded from all no matter how impossible or how they are achieved.
Many in upper management reached their positions through dishonesty and they resent those who do not act as they have done.
Want to become hated at UPS while preserving your job security? Act completely the opposite from them. Do an honest job every day and resist their harassing demands for performance only achieved in some dishonest way.

Still a good topic worth resurrecting.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS has a corrupt corporate culture where perfect results are demanded from all no matter how impossible or how they are achieved.
Many in upper management reached their positions through dishonesty and they resent those who do not act as they have done.
Want to become hated at UPS while preserving your job security? Act completely the opposite from them. Do an honest job every day and resist their harassing demands for performance only achieved in some dishonest way.

LOL

Makes me feel young again.