Why doesnt the DIAD make a beep

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
when the driver is late for a daily pickup? Serious question. will telematics fix this? why doesn't the driver have to do a manual check or something in the board when it is the pickup time?

i always get calls from friends and family when their dropbox doesnt say picked up. i know the indicators break, but the pickup time is at 6pm and it's 7:15 and the packages are still out front. my wife just drove back to the office to take her crucial package to a later drop box. if we don't make the pickup, who do you think they are going to call about the other three boxes sitting out there. help me understand, please.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when the driver is late for a daily pickup? Serious question. will telematics fix this? why doesn't the driver have to do a manual check or something in the board when it is the pickup time?

The only pickups that give driver alerts are OCAs. Try to imagine drivers with 50+ P/Us having to deal with DIAD alerts on every one of them every day.

i always get calls from friends and family when their dropbox doesnt say picked up. i know the indicators break, but the pickup time is at 6pm and it's 7:15 and the packages are still out front. my wife just drove back to the office to take her crucial package to a later drop box. if we don't make the pickup, who do you think they are going to call about the other three boxes sitting out there. help me understand, please.

The time on the dropbox is the earliest that the pickup can be completed. If the driver does try to make the P/U earlier the DIAD will not allow him to complete the stop. The dropboxes clearly state that pkgs are not to be left outside of the box but they invariably are. If there is a problem with the pickup indicator we are supposed to inform mgt. and are told to put a note on the box indicating that it was picked up and it will be fixed the next day (usually).

upssalesguy

UPS Defender

The only pickups that give driver alerts are OCAs. Try to imagine drivers with 50+ P/Us having to deal with DIAD alerts on every one of them every day.

The time on the dropbox is the earliest that the pickup can be completed. If the driver does try to make the P/U earlier the DIAD will not allow him to complete the stop. The dropboxes clearly state that pkgs are not to be left outside of the box but they invariably are. If there is a problem with the pickup indicator we are supposed to inform mgt. and are told to put a note on the box indicating that it was picked up and it will be fixed the next day (usually).

its a private dropbox on a dock. still...i am tracking the packages on that dock AND in the box and nothing.

uhgg....one more thing I get to deal with tomorrow.

i don't think it should be a problem to get a notification on the diad that you are 1 hour and 40 minutes late for a pickup. if the driver manually enters he made the pickup, doesnt that instill more accountability?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

its a private dropbox on a dock. still...i am tracking the packages on that dock AND in the box and nothing.

uhgg....one more thing I get to deal with tomorrow.

i don't think it should be a problem to get a notification on the diad that you are 1 hour and 40 minutes late for a pickup. if the driver manually enters he made the pickup, doesnt that instill more accountability?

Each letter box has a unique ID number assigned to it. One of mine is 7LX13E412. This is printed on the barcode on the inside of the door that the driver has to scan every time he makes the drop box P/U. If the barcode does not scan you can enter the ID number manually. There is a report (imagine that!) that shows any missed drop box pickups and/or missed scans. Get with your center team if you have any concerns about a particular box not being picked up on a timely basis or at all. Dave.

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sales Guy

I had a three drop boxes, one actually mine, and two more that I regularly made on the way in. Each one was 6 or 6:15 pick up time, and each customer knew that if the sign did not indicate already picked up, they could drop it off and it would go out that evening.

I always saved the UPS store (615 commit time) and two other customer counter stops till the end of day, allowing the maximum number of customers the most time to get the packages shipped. It was after I made these, that I began making the drop boxes. Sometimes after 8:30.

As for being late on my pickups, many customers enjoy a later pickup. So why would some pencil pusher with telematics make me waste time to override the diad when the stupid thing starts beeping to let me know I am late? What good would it serve?

d

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Sales Guy

I had a three drop boxes, one actually mine, and two more that I regularly made on the way in. Each one was 6 or 6:15 pick up time, and each customer knew that if the sign did not indicate already picked up, they could drop it off and it would go out that evening.

I always saved the UPS store (615 commit time) and two other customer counter stops till the end of day, allowing the maximum number of customers the most time to get the packages shipped. It was after I made these, that I began making the drop boxes. Sometimes after 8:30.

As for being late on my pickups, many customers enjoy a later pickup. So why would some pencil pusher with telematics make me waste time to override the diad when the stupid thing starts beeping to let me know I am late? What good would it serve?

d

it would let you know in case you forgot to pick it up. it is probably a part time air cover driver and missing drop boxes are a great way to piss off multiple customers. I know, missing is the exception, but seriously, I hope this gives you insight into the crap I have to deal with everyday WHILE making sales.

i know about the letter code and everything there is about a drop box, i just don't know why our diads boards dont have a "stop complete" button for daily pickups. these are our most crucial customers.

and I did light up my center team because they eliminated a route that had a late air sweep for a big win from fedex...that we missed the late pickup 5 times. i wont tell you what that service recovery is going to cost UPS. we got the route back...so I saved a job.

edit: with all our technology, we shouldnt "forget" to do anything.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it would let you know in case you forgot to pick it up. it is probably a part time air cover driver and missing drop boxes are a great way to piss off multiple customers. I know, missing is the exception, but seriously, I hope this gives you insight into the crap I have to deal with everyday WHILE making sales.

i know about the letter code and everything there is about a drop box, i just don't know why our diads boards dont have a "stop complete" button for daily pickups. these are our most crucial customers.

They do.

and I did light up my center team because they eliminated a route that had a late air sweep for a big win from fedex...that we missed the late pickup 5 times. i wont tell you what that service recovery is going to cost UPS. we got the route back...so I saved a job.

edit: with all our technology, we shouldnt "forget" to do anything.

I agree with you on this.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Might be that a supervisor went by there to pick up the packages. That would explain why there were no scans.

But then again, management would never do hourly work now would they......?

d

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Was there a scan on the box?

i cant see that in ETT...and I don't have the dropbox number...i have a login to my wife's company's campus ship, so i tracked all the packages that were in the box. only one had a scan and it was because it got the weight adjustment at the hub.

if i really cared I would drive down to the hub tomorrow and check the report, but really, i am just relieved that it was finally picked up.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Might be that a supervisor went by there to pick up the packages. That would explain why there were no scans.

But then again, management would never do hourly work now would they......?

d

see my post above about being happy at the end of the day that it was picked up.

my wife took her super-crucial RFP to a box with a much later pickup..still waiting to track that one....i shouldnt get so stressed out about it.

Ms.PacMan

Don't assume that a missed pick-up is always a driver's fault. There have been occasions recently in my center on Mondays, when routes are cut, that they have forgot to assign the pick-ups from those routes to someone.

My last pick-up is at 5pm but more often than not I pick them up at 6. They love it - they say they are in heaven! No way would FedEx ever get that acct from us.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
Don't assume that a missed pick-up is always a driver's fault. There have been occasions recently in my center on Mondays, when routes are cut, that they have forgot to assign the pick-ups from those routes to someone.

My last pick-up is at 5pm but more often than not I pick them up at 6. They love it - they say they are in heaven! No way would FedEx ever get that acct from us.

ehhh...good call, i'll just assume it is management...lol.

no, this one was for the wife and she needed confirmation it was picked up because it is for a huge RFP - it is going to the united nations (what a cool route that must be). it was picked up and I got a pickup scan from the box she ended up taking it.

nice work on the customer service...not one customer has ever left because of the drivers :) keep it up and thanks.

DS

Fenderbender
salesguy...in the world of driving for ups,other than having an accident or a rude hourly,the worst thing you can do is miss a pickup.They get grumpy if you bring back 30 stops because you have to stay under 12 or even 9.5 hours, but get downright discipliny if you miss a pickup.
Letter boxes are usually the last pickup because they dont actually close.

satellitedriver

Jeez,
You ask these questions and claim to control million dollar accounts for UPS?
This will be the third time that I have asked these three simple questions,of you.
Have you ever been a driver at UPS?
How long did you drive?
How long have you worked at UPS.
If you choose not to answer these simple questions, OK by me.
Your stated credentials as a employee of UPS somehow does not match your questions.

Why doesn't the DIAD automatically toggle between the alpha and numeric keys based on the fields when entering addresses manually? Annoys me that we have to hit the ABC key for the numeric field.

Ms.PacMan

ehhh...good call, i'll just assume it is management...lol.

nice work on the customer service...not one customer has ever left because of the drivers :) keep it up and thanks.

Maybe you're on to something salesguy and UPS is always looking for the "big idea". You should suggest a DIAD pick-up beep on your next conference call or sometime when you have the ear of a division manager.