Why don't I have a routine at ups?

8rogan

This might be a dumb question, but when I started I was a loader. After 3-4 months I got moved to unloading, then for a few months I loaded and unloaded. There was complaints about spa labels being out of syncs so they moved me to spa and now I've been doing that everyday. Why is it that everybody else has a job they stick to and now everyday im just moved around everywhere is it because I suck so they move me around so I don't mess something up everyday or..?

MendozaJ

I didn't get a permanent assignment for four months. You have to show proficiency at whatever they throw at you. At least you made book.

Box Ox

I've found rotation can be a sign that management is looking to get the job done right wherever you're put. It's the people who don't do so well that stay in place at whatever spot they'll do the least damage. Could be different outside my location though.

T

Turdferguson

This might be a dumb question, but when I started I was a loader. After 3-4 months I got moved to unloading, then for a few months I loaded and unloaded. There was complaints about spa labels being out of syncs so they moved me to spa and now I've been doing that everyday. Why is it that everybody else has a job they stick to and now everyday im just moved around everywhere is it because I suck so they move me around so I don't mess something up everyday or..?
Yes

KaiserTom

I've found rotation can be a sign that management is looking to get the job done right wherever you're put. It's the people who don't do so well that stay in place at whatever spot they'll do the least damage. Could be different outside my location though.

It's the same here until one of the PT sups manages to lock down the worker to a set/position (and usually a very heavy set as a "reward" for working so hard). I used to get moved around by everyone because I was proficient at anything you threw at me (hell, the only job I didn't do within my first 2 months was small sort and ireg driving, though it was middle of peak). I didn't even get to load anything until a month later, I got stuck on the box line sorting. In fact, I am still officially "working" the box line, except for 4 days of the week I go to load my trucks.

HardknocksUPSer

This happens at my center sometimes, but when it does, these people are always the "favored" ones by management. It kind of ticks people off when someone who has been there a few months unloads while a guy who's been there 9 years has to load package cars.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

This happens at my center sometimes, but when it does, these people are always the "favored" ones by management. It kind of ticks people off when someone who has been there a few months unloads while a guy who's been there 9 years has to load package cars.
You need to get over this favored kick. It's annoying. I'm going to put someone who has been there 9 years on a car because he is going to have less misloads than the new guy who has only been there for a couple months. It isn't always about teachers pet.

There are two reasons why you'd be moved around a lot. 1)You suck. 2)You do a good job at every position you have done and you are sent to clean up someone else's mess. Being put on spa because someone was messing up tells me you do a good job and he's putting you there because you're dependable.

This is why I let my guys know when they're doing a good job. So they don't worry they suck when I move them around.

HardknocksUPSer

You need to get over this favored kick. It's annoying. I'm going to put someone who has been there 9 years on a car because he is going to have less misloads than the new guy who has only been there for a couple months. It isn't always about teachers pet.

There are two reasons why you'd be moved around a lot. 1)You suck. 2)You do a good job at every position you have done and you are sent to clean up someone else's mess. Being put on spa because someone was messing up tells me you do a good job and he's putting you there because you're dependable.

This is why I let my guys know when they're doing a good job. So they don't worry they suck when I move them around.
Lol okay because you know how my center manager and sups act?!? It's quite simple, the sups and center manager at my center have been there way too long thus causing them do have favoritism, exactly the reason management should be moved to different centers on a regular bases. As I stated before the way you feel about your crew at your center makes you a minority in management. Trust me, there IS favoritism, it's in human nature. Believe it or not, I don't give two :censored2:s what you think. Buzz off.

HardknocksUPSer

BTW why put a guy with more seniority loading a package car? Sure he/she may have less misloads but that's because they have EXPERIENCE with loading, how the hell will someone ever get good at something if they don't do it?

browner89

BTW why put a guy with more seniority loading a package car? Sure he/she may have less misloads but that's because they have EXPERIENCE with loading, how the hell will someone ever get good at something if they don't do it?

If you show progress you'll continue to gain experience. If you don't show progress someone who won't :censored2: up will replace you.

HardknocksUPSer

If you show progress you'll continue to gain experience. If you don't show progress someone who won't :censored2: up will replace you.
Get good or get gone, I got gone came back and got good, takes time to learn the loading process, I just so happened to be a slow learner, I got sent to reload for 2-3 days because I kept having misloads, I got asked to come back to preload and haven't had a problem since, lack of training is the main problem, other than that I'm just a slow learner.

J

jibbs

there are two reasons why you'd be moved around a lot. 1)You suck. 2)You do a good job at every position you have done and you are sent to clean up someone else's mess.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

It's kind of funny how they treat you the same whether you suck or are awesome, but if you fall somewhere in the middle somehow you end up on a permanent pull and are allowed the luxury of knowing what to expect when you come in every day.

There's ways around being a floater, regardless of the reasons why. If you suck, find one thing that you're good at or like and become :censored2:ing awesome at it. If you're a great all-around employee, dial it down a bit. Become more self-absorbed: if a box isn't on your pull, don't touch it, ever. If they put you on a pull for more than a day, become possessive about it. Voice your displeasure when they attempt to take you off of it (and continue voicing it throughout the day). Find a perfect ":censored2:-up balance" where, when you're put onto a different pull, you can :censored2: up juuuuuuust enough to show management that you're a good worker but when they mess with your routine then it's back to square one.

If you're not.... diplomatic..... when you go about it like this, though, you might piss off a few people. My rule of thumb? Just don't do anything that'll get me fired. :censored2: a feeling.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Lol okay because you know how my center manager and sups act?!? It's quite simple, the sups and center manager at my center have been there way too long thus causing them do have favoritism, exactly the reason management should be moved to different centers on a regular bases. As I stated before the way you feel about your crew at your center makes you a minority in management. Trust me, there IS favoritism, it's in human nature. Believe it or not, I don't give two :censored2:s what you think. Buzz off.
Your immaturity in responding is just proving my point. Do your job, do it well, and you'll earn the job you want. You're still in your break in period. You don't have to be a kiss ass to get a good spot.
Because with some people no matter how much time you give them, they still suck at loading. They're either hoping you're going to improve, or you get so much volume that you get frustrated and quit.

HardknocksUPSer

Your immaturity in responding is just proving my point. Do your job, do it well, and you'll earn the job you want. You're still in your break in period. You don't have to be a kiss ass to get a good spot.

Because with some people no matter how much time you give them, they still suck at loading. They're either hoping you're going to improve, or you get so much volume that you get frustrated and quit.
The problem is not that the co-workers I have are being kiss ass employees the problem is that my sup tends to favor people without even really knowing them. When a group of new hires comes in she says she likes certain ones and it just so happens that those people get spots people have put in 20 years of service to get right off the bat, it's certain sups that do this, not all of them. I agree throughout time you will get your preferable spot and choice. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. BTW i don't plan to leave anytime soon, out of 12 hired in my group before peak I'm the last one left, the others wanted everything "now" and couldn't see through all the bull:censored2: to hold on and do their time. I see a future.

HardknocksUPSer

I'm on the "so much volume side" however it's just boxes, I get pissed sometimes but never to the point where I think about quiting, I average 1000-1200 peices a day and 4-5 trucks, but at the end of the day, I stack them out if need be and will take all the time I can get. Quitting isn't a option when you hate school and have no skilled trade.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm on the "so much volume side" however it's just boxes, I get :censored2: sometimes but never to the point where I think about quiting, I average 1000-1200 peices a day and 4-5 trucks, but at the end of the day, I stack them out if need be and will take all the time I can get. Quitting isn't a option when you hate school and have no skilled trade.

You are a funny guy, Hardup. You amuse me.