Why even have a contract?

guyinthebrownbox

If you don't want our opinion on your situation, then don't start a thread titled "why even have a contract?"

We are giving you proactive solutions and all you want to do is whine about rocking the boat and putting a target on your back

So you need this job because your life circumstances depend on it. So you need job security which your union is there to protect. But you don't like the union and also don't plan on doing anything about it.

What I am hearing is I need this job but I hate it and I don't want to do anything about it. I need an alpha male to take care of it for me because I'm too scared to step out of my bubble.

Being a steward automatically puts a target on you because you are directly going to bat for employees against management. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF A UNION. You are pushing back against the company to protect the rights and fair work practices of the employees you represent. Is the union perfect? No. Is your steward perfect? Obviously not. Step up to the plate. Only the union members can change the union.

Nut up sweetheart

Cementups

Box Monkey
You're sounding like you're the only one who has worked here and gone through this and we all have no idea what you're talking about. You are wrong. We've all seen it and we've all heard it.

That being said, grow some balls and file grievances. As said, what's the point of having a contract unless you as a dues paying member make the company abide by it? Stand up for your self. We have drivers who have 30 years in and have never filed a single grievance because they were afraid of painting a target on themselves. But every day they are the ones complaining because they are seemingly getting abused. Like an beaten wife, they're going to keep smacking you around unless you stand up for yourself and/or take matters into your own hands. Time to man up young buck.

Gloominati

D.Y.S.
And by "night crew" being skipped for cover driving, you mean they don't even get the bid, or are cover drivers and don't get called after completing the midnight sort?

Faceplanted

It appears lot of us Florida guys who got pulled off the road ended up having manamgmemt 05 our pay code for the day. I will have a greviences for them asap.

guyinthebrownbox

That quote was taken out of context. There is a difference between between going over the top for the company(being a company man) and standing up for your rights as a union employee. And I explained in that thread why I don't think on my feet (for the company). It doesn't pay to be a critical thinker at UPS. It's at simple as this. Work as instructed within reason(safety). If they violate the contract or seniority it is very much YOUR job to grieve it. Period. And if you do it right, you'll get extra money on the deal

And yes I am level headed and fearless. Call it cocky I don't care. I'm also not scared to stand up to management and they know it. I also know how to ask for help rather than say "in b4 people tell me to quit"

The time it took you to sniff out that quote you could have wrote a grievance. So how being proactive works?

Look up article 4 in the contract to become a steward. That will also tell you what and how your steward and local should and allowed to be able to handle management

Got anything else?

Last edited:

guyinthebrownbox

I'm not necessarily trying to sound like an jerk here. I know it's hard to see someone's demeanor with just text....

But you have to take action if you want it to change. Unfortunately there are too many locals, BAs, and stewards who are weak or just don't care. Try to force them out. Run against them. Show your fellow employees you can do better. They'll back you up

"You have enemies? Good. That means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill