Why has part time starting pay not increased in decades?

Ant12

It's still 8.50 until the contract supposedly bumps it to 10$. Is there still the 90 day 1$ raise in the new contract? I'm making as much as a mcdonalds worker right now lol

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Yeah it sucks, but does McDonald's workers get $3.90 in raises in 5 years? How about health care benefits? Pension? Chance to move up to a job that will pay over $37 per hour in last year of this contract?
Don't compare UPS p/t ers to McDonald workers again. It's just not fair to McDonald workers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Full-timers threw the part-timers over the decades. All the friend/T wages, pension, insurance are funded from what logically would have gone to P/T.
P/T are second class brothers and sisters in the Teamster family.

slantnosechevy

I couldn't agree more. The part-timers deserve more money, but......they only have themselves to blame. Most , not all, don't stick together, they don't get involved, and the biggest problem is they don't bother voting. The union sees that a large majority doesn't show up at meetings and they see that a large majority wont take the time to vote. On the other side of the fence, the company, outside of operations, think they've "dumbed down" the job and think that the current pay is equal to the skill. This should paint a pretty good picture as to why negotiations have ended up like they have the last 3 contracts. I remember when part-time pre-loaders were making 75 cents less than drivers in this area and didn't work as hard as part-timers do now. The lineup was made up of mostly 4,5,6, and 8 cubes with maybe 4-5 10 cubes in a bldg. of 50 routes. That same bldg. has 7,8,10, and 12 cubes and 65-70 routes most days.

Full-timers threw the part-timers over the decades. All the friend/T wages, pension, insurance are funded from what logically would have gone to P/T.

And they take such an active role in the union. Go figure.

CharleyHustle

I was a part timer back in 1982. This was to my recollection the only contract that the International urged a "no" vote. The major issue was tier wages for part timers. The union said that tier wages for part timers would create an underclass of workers that would never escape their plight. The company on the other hand, wined and dined us to no end. With weekly breakfasts and sorties where they plead with us to vote yes. Well, I voted no, but the majority of voters took the company's advice and now we have what we have.

Also what we have, in the morning, part timers are sent home (by the company) with just their 3.5 hours and full timers making 3 times as much are made to finish the job. Every week, I'm on over time and am asked to perform functions like unload and car wash because the company wont allow part timers to go over on hours. How about in places like worldport where part timers are required to use up to an hour of their own time everyday just to get from their car to job and back again. No wait, these are all my fault, I really need to stop putting the screws to the part timers.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS will not make a profit during Xmas season if it was paying every new hire $15/hr. It is what it is, and if you can get your foot in the door and gut it out, the pay and benefits are worth it.

Some areas have long waits for full time employment but I see many Part-timers in my building who are happy making $20+/hr for 4 hours a day and getting the best union benefits in the business. They have no desire to go full time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

You're so full of BS, not sure how you fit in clothes anymore.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Health care will be next to go for part-timers as prices keep skyrocketing. The high PT turnover rate will keep a nice flow of initiation cash coming in to the union. Part timers don't vote, so it's your own fault.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
How can you say FT ers throwPT ers under the bus? PTErs can own every contract if they would all just vote. The FT ers see it as a career. And, we do bust ass. Everyday. So we vote. PTers. (except most of the career minded pt er) are here for beer money. Pt needs to be more active in their work

3 done 3 to go

Oh my local hasn t had a raise in 3 yrs now. The union has taken every one for pension. Now we are waiting for this contract agreement. That looks like another year wait. I'm just waiting for the retro ck. To see how much taxes are taken out now.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Health care will be next to go for part-timers as prices keep skyrocketing. The high PT turnover rate will keep a nice flow of initiation cash coming in to the union. Part timers don't vote, so it's your own fault.
Thank you ... some people can perform an honest self-evaluation.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How can you say FT ers throwPT ers under the bus? PTErs can own every contract if they would all just vote. The FT ers see it as a career. And, we do bust ass. Everyday. So we vote. PTers. (except most of the career minded pt er) are here for beer money. Pt needs to be more active in their work
So since they are young and for the most part clueless, friend/T vote them under the bus.
friend/T certainly feel no responsibility to take care of their "underclass of workers".
Let them eat cake!

3 done 3 to go

So since they are young and for the most part clueless, friend/T vote them under the bus.
friend/T certainly feel no responsibility to take care of their "underclass of workers".
Let them eat cake!

What I say " you better vote if you want improvements ". Do I have to fill out their ballot too? I wish I could. Be 2 more NO votes.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Omar the tent maker makes some snappy outfits.

You don't wear your guilt too well.

I have no guilt whatsoever.

I worked my way from the bottom and get sick hearing about starting pay. The raises you get every year after you're hired trump what you are paid that first year. Vacations add up plus our healthcare is the best.

It is UPS's business model to pay lower starting wages, if you're smart you'll find a way to get to the top.

Blackstream

Really, it's not just UPS that's not keeping up initial wages, it's everyone. Wages are stagnating or even going down globally on the average. From what I understand, if I had signed up with ups 15 years ago, my starting wage would have been right about what it was when I started 3.5 years ago, and obviously I'd be making a lot more now and my pay would be a lot closer to fulltimers. The raises and benefits are outstanding though, but now you have to stick it out before the job becomes worthwhile. Still, I'm all for starting pay increases. Or a topscale for parttimers. 5 years progression go, up to like $20 an hour. That's a pipedream though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Really, it's not just UPS that's not keeping up initial wages, it's everyone. Wages are stagnating or even going down globally on the average. From what I understand, if I had signed up with ups 15 years ago, my starting wage would have been right about what it was when I started 3.5 years ago, and obviously I'd be making a lot more now and my pay would be a lot closer to fulltimers. The raises and benefits are outstanding though, but now you have to stick it out before the job becomes worthwhile. Still, I'm all for starting pay increases. Or a topscale for parttimers. 5 years progression go, up to like $20 an hour. That's a pipedream though.
Not if the P/Timers vote on the contract and go to meetings and make sure their voice is heard.
Right now, only friend/Timers voice is heard.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The Company has insisted on keeping the starting wage low the last few Contracts. It's a vicious cycle of high turnover/bottom-of-the-labor-pool-applicants/why should we pay more for what we're getting/lets extend the time for benefits/lets extend the time we can fire them for any reason/oh they all quit we can't fire them/why do they quit/Union's fault we have bad employees...rinse, cycle, repeat.

P/T or friend/T how do you ask anyone to take any sort of haircut on a wage increase in order to raise the starting wage for someone who might be hired? The only way I would vote for it is if we hired almost exclusively from Universities & Community Colleges as we did in the 80's & 90's.