Why I don't ship FedEX

lovemyupser

The husband just reminded me of something we tried. Last Christmas I made blankets for my niece and nephew that live in California. So we wanted to see which blanket would get there faster. So we went to the UPS store and shipped one from there and went down the street and shipped on from the FedEX place. They both went to the same address, and UPS beat FedEX by 2 days. This is shipped from Alabama to California. I always wondered why FedEX is slower than UPS.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't ship Fedex because they seem to go out of their way to insure things get broken.

Ummm, try googling "ups broken" or united package smashers and see what you come up with. I know things get broken with any and all delivery and freight companies but from a personal point of view, working in the hub and as a driver the big "production push" thing at ups is the fault of many of those damages...its not just the little old lady who ships out her china(how many times has that been used over the years). Too small of bldgs and over packed belts are also big causes of damages....face it, like it or not ups is very well known for damaging items.

Super64

I have never had anything broken when I ship UPS, but everytime I ship with Fedex my servers always seem to get damaged some how. I think its perhaps the way they throw them from the dock to the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I hardly ever ship with USPS since I married my UPS man. The only time I do is when I ship care packages to the soldiers in war zones. We live 5 minutes from the husbands work so I just fill out the paper for my package and send it with him to work. It gets charged to the credit card and I write it off on taxes. I don't feel like I have to ship with UPS since he works there, I just know my stuff will be taken care of and get to where it needs to go in a timely manor.

Did you know that you can register as a shipper at ups.com and have the labels printed and the charges billed to your credit card?

How do you write off shipping charges? Are you running a business out of your house?

FedExer267

I don't ship Fedex because they seem to go out of their way to insure things get broken.
I don't get much resi maybe 15% of my route but I will never forget coming around a corner and coming towards me was the HD driver he had boxes in the front of the cab with him and was throwing them off the truck towards the door. That could have something to do with FEDEX and damages.

TUT

I don't get much resi maybe 15% of my route but I will never forget coming around a corner and coming towards me was the HD driver he had boxes in the front of the cab with him and was throwing them off the truck towards the door. That could have something to do with FEDEX and damages.

Do you not get a company discount shipping?

FedExer267

FedEx Employess get a discount on shipping at the local Kinkos. However Ground and Home Deliverey drivers do not get a discount because we are not employees.

lovemyupser

Did you know that you can register as a shipper at ups.com and have the labels printed and the charges billed to your credit card?

How do you write off shipping charges? Are you running a business out of your house?

I know I can register online at ups.com. I just have never taken the time to do it. I guess I am still stuck in the stone age. Yes I run my own business. I make blankets, baby bibs, burp clothes, doll clothes, and fix my husbands ups uniforms when he has torn them. I also started doing volunteer work making stuff for veterans. It was a hobby to sew and now it has grown much more and I love it.

TUT

FedEx Employess get a discount on shipping at the local Kinkos. However Ground and Home Deliverey drivers do not get a discount because we are not employees.

Yeah that's poor. FedEx employee's get a substantial discount no matter where it's shipped from.

FedExer267

Yeah that's poor. FedEx employee's get a substantial discount no matter where it's shipped from.

Yea they enjoy a discount on shipping, discounts on flying for standby, discounts on cell phone plans and Ground and Home Delivery do not get anything because of the Contracotr thing. Which is why I ship UPS. Why help a company that refuses to see drivers for what they are.

TUT

Yea they enjoy a discount on shipping, discounts on flying for standby, discounts on cell phone plans and Ground and Home Delivery do not get anything because of the Contracotr thing. Which is why I ship UPS. Why help a company that refuses to see drivers for what they are.

Nope, I won't argue. I will say this. LAWYERS. I bet Fedex would love to give those perks to you as well, really. But they are afraid that by doing so gives more credence that lawyers can argue "See they really are employees masked behind a scheme". So with fears of that being used against Fedex, you miss out on things like this even. You can blame Fedex or whoever, imo it's more a product of the corporate world and the lawyers that play a huge part within it. Sad really.

FedExer267

Yea I see your point it is a sad reality. This is why as soon as I can find a better job I am gone. Working under this scam stinks.