Why I give... (Un Way)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by NonDeliverOtherMissed, Jun 19, 2016.

1. NonDeliverOtherMissed

NonDeliverOtherMissed Active Member

Anyone else get on UPSers and watch the "why I give" video. Is it just me or are all of those people on there full of Sugar, Honey, Ice Tea...just throwing it out there, the reason 90% of employees donate to the United Way is because management forces themselves on us and makes us feel guilty if we don't. ..so any of you just flat out not donate anything?
  2. billerz

billerz Active Member

I donate a dollar a week so they get off by back. I won't miss the fifty bucks
  3. 8 Hour Day

8 Hour Day Active Member

4. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

I stopped giving UPS any money back to give away. They preached to me about wanting 100% participation, and I said I couldn't pretend that they cared about families while dispatching 11 hour days to so many drivers.

Give to whoever you want though. But make sure it's because you want to.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. A gift from the heart goes a long way.
  6. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

My manager is a very good one right now, so I gave a $1/week so he gets credit or my participation. I have not given anything many years, and will do so again, if my manager goes downhill again.

I give plenty other places, so I feel no obligation to give anything.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I donate $30/week with 100% of my contribution going to our local Hospice, which does wonderful work with those nearing the end of their lives. UPS matches 15% of my donation. I write the $1,560 off of my taxes under charitable contributions.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Haven't donated a dime in years and never will. They know I'm not donating so I did get much flak anymore.
  9. I give a small token one-time gift of $25

I feel my money is spent better at the food bank.
  10. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

What are you going to do when your daughter starts bringing home crap from school to sell?
  11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Two years ago....somehow When I signed up for a one time donation of 1.00....That became a dollar a week out of my check for the year. After that BS charade....the United Way will never see another dime of my income through UPS . I donate blood to the Red Cross and food to a local food pantry. I don't feel guilty at all.
  12. Like we all did. Buy it or pawn some off on the family.

Candy bars were easy. I would stop at the bar and they would all be sold in 20 minutes
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Jesus The candy bars i used to have to sell for youth Hockey... call me Hershey!
  14. I went through school, girl scouts and college.
    It never ends.
  15. Future

Future Well-Known Member

OMG the fund raisers alone ... chinese auctions etc
  16. Funny story. I went to the bar to get rid of all of the candy. I didn't know they were $1 candy bars. I came home with an extra $50 or whatever it was. I felt guilty. Got another box from the schooloaidpafir it and donated it to the food bank.

I ate one. Shh
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

That's why I put my foot down with my youngest. I refused to sell that crap. Only Girl Scout cookies. They sold themselves. Some years she would get TWO fundraisers at the same time. She finally stopped showing them to me.
  18. It gets to be a bit much. I would rather just donate an extra $20
  19. Big Arrow Down...D

Big Arrow Down...D Leave the gun,take the cannoli

Cool story...
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm talking about United way.

I donate over 10k in cash and good every year.