Why is it a sign that you made it when you get a driving job at UPS?

didyousheetit

I understand one has to work himself up from the bottom (pt handler) to the top (driver) but why is the driver viewed as a career accomplishment and something of some prestige. There is nothing prestigious about a UPS driver. I do not go out of my way to bow to them. I do not acknowledge them. They are neither bad or good to me, they are just there. It is also a grueling job with long hours where you can be lifting heavy packages throughout the day

I never understood why the driver is THAT position to aspire to, yet I bet if you take a straw poll of 100 pt package handlers, 90 + will say the goal is to be sitting in that truck one day.

​Nothing special or grandiose about it imo.
First, who is viewing the driver as a career accomplishment? My management team certainly doesn't view us as prestigious. For pt'mers it may or may not be their wish to become drivers. As far as pay goes versus college graduates there is a lot of drivers here that have a degree that chose driving. Believe it or not this company was much better to work for twenty years ago.

tropolis

didyouseeit, why do you see UPS on the decline? Also, why do so many UPS fanboys on here dismiss claims about UPS weakness and make excuses for them.

laffter

tropolis, the answer you're looking for is all around you. You see it in every aspect of humanity's existence. You've seen it ever since you were born- from school, to your first job, and you'll continue seeing it until you die. Most people work at UPS for the money. A full time driver position is the top non-management position that one can attain in the company.

So, why would a driver ever look down on a part timer? Are you seriously wondering about this?
Why does anyone ever look down on anyone else? Because he feels he is better than the other person. He has been there longer and "achieved" more. He knows more. He has more experience.

It's the same way a Senior looks down on a Freshman in school.

Go to any company, anywhere, and you'll find someone who has been there longer, has a good position, and looks down on those who are not where he is.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
One can be an accountant and not ruin his body and make more money than a driver, so I'm not buying that.

I want to know why becoming a driver is viewed as something that is some sort of reward for all the work you put in for years, building yourself up.

Congrats for busting your ass all these years, you get a driving job where you work 50 + hrs a week tearing your body apart.

I never understood the reward angle they push and see it as propaganda more or less. Why not aspire to get one of those office jobs at UPS instead?

You are just a bag of air on the other side of a keyboard !!

A) You don't work at UPS ( THANK GOD )

B) Yesterday you are posting about trying to get a job as a Fed Ex ground home delivery driver

C) Since you never worked at UPS, WHY would you think drivers look down at part timers ? 95% of all drivers were part timers !!

Most importantly, you are just one of the many OBAMA handout wannabees that want 90,000 dollar jobs handed to them. UPS has a process and about 80% of the people hired don't stay long. If you're strong enough to handle a union environment with mental and physical obstacles, then you can make that dime. That is where the feeling of accomplishment comes from, a feeling with 4 figure weekly paychecks, a feeling of paid for healthcare, the feeling of a secured future with a pension.

Until then, grab a broomstick and start at the bottom somewhere ANYWHERE. Stop waiting for the government to hand it out to you !!!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
If you want to have a career making 80 to 90k a year you can do that here. Sure your going to have to work hard and work long hours and deal with some bs but it is what it is. You young punkazz kids are scared of working hard and getting your hands dirty. Would you rather work somewhere and not have to work hard and reach into your pocket and all you feel is your leg or reach in your pocket and its full of greenbacks and know you worked hard for it and earned it. Take a long hard look around you youngblood, the job market for good paying jobs is shrinking every day. And theres a lot of college graduates who have that degree that cant find jobs. If you want an excellent paying job with one of the largest companies in the world its their for ya and it aint going anywhere anytime soon. Sure theres a lot of bs that comes with this job but u get over it on payday. Id rather make 90k with a job I may not like all the time than a job I absolutely love and make chump change and cant afford jack shiznitt lol. Maybe when you quit moochin off mommy and daddy one day and you move out you will learn YOUNG SKYWALKER what the real world is.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I understand one has to work himself up from the bottom (pt handler) to the top (driver) but why is the driver viewed as a career accomplishment and something of some prestige. There is nothing prestigious about a UPS driver. I do not go out of my way to bow to them. I do not acknowledge them. They are neither bad or good to me, they are just there. It is also a grueling job with long hours where you can be lifting heavy packages throughout the day.

I never understood why the driver is THAT position to aspire to, yet I bet if you take a straw poll of 100 pt package handlers, 90 + will say the goal is to be sitting in that truck one day.

​Nothing special or grandiose about it imo.

i'll hit right at $100,000 this year. i dont give a damn about prestige,just PAY me

PT Car Washer

I don't have a problem with UPS. Just seems like they promote the driver as being some god like position when it really isn't.

In my building the god like position is a FT Porter (janitor). $ 30.70 an hour to lean on a broom. 40 hours and no OT. Most drivers will never make it that high.

UPSGUY72

But as I understand with the union bidding system, you are just bidding to be another part in a cog somewhere with production in a spider web until eventually a driver retires and you have tenure.

One does not work as a pt package handler for 10 years and wait it out, correct?

Look troll. Where else can you find a job making currently make $32 + in five years it will be $36 + and hr get free health insurance and have a pension to name a few bennys with only a high diploma or GED.

That's if why people put in time as a PT waiting to be a driver.

By the way there are people that only want to work PT for the bennys and have other jobs also.

didyousheetit

I don't have a problem with UPS. Just seems like they promote the driver as being some god like position when it really isn't.
whose they? I didn't see it on any national ad campaign. I didn't get it at today's PCM. What makes you think drivers are being shone some kind of special light? Now, if you are comparing the drivers to oc sups then it may be because the sups now days don't actually manage. They are told what to do when to do it. It actually is sad because some of them could really make a difference by using common sense which seems that they are not allowed to do. But that is another story.

whose they? I didn't see it on any national ad campaign. I didn't get it at today's PCM. What makes you think drivers are being shone some kind of special light? Now, if you are comparing the drivers to oc sups then it may be because the sups now days don't actually manage. They are told what to do when to do it. It actually is sad because some of them could really make a difference by using common sense which seems that they are not allowed to do. But that is another story.

Hey.......I was told I was a piece of crap!....Does that mean I made it??....Flush