Why is it so miserable

Why is UPS such a miserable place to work? From top to bottom people are dissatisfied. Personally, if I was at the top I would want to make it a place where people loved coming to work, a place where people to pride in working. I have heard that is how it once was, but in the end one can't go home feeling great about the way they have been treated or the way they have treated others. I feel a UPS representative should tell customers, "thank you for choosing UPS, how can you help me?"
I've had things happen to me that most people couldn't even imagine that another human being could stoop so low and I smile everyday and thank Jesus every morning I have a way to support my family.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Your right it is a lifestyle. You get home late as balls do a few things that you can within time constraints and you get to bed late as balls and then up early as balls. What a life huh lol

The Milkman

Because the upper levels of management have never been drivers and have no touch with the reality faced by the drivers on a daily basis. Thus they demand artificial numbers that make sense on computers, but reality is a far different animal. In the end teh main reason between then and now is the company is publicly owned and thus the board is trying to make as much money as humanly possible to justify their bloated salaries.

:youreright:

The Milkman

Its all about greed. Once they went public it all went down the pooper lol. Its all bout their greed. They dont care about their employees any more. They think since they pay us well that we are their slaves and they own us and dont deserve to have a life. Big time peckerhead move in my opinion. Sad it really is. You only live now to make money with this job cause mon to fri you can forget about having a life. Only way to remotely get em back is hit em deep in the pocket.

:bpotd::choir:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Its all about greed. Once they went public it all went down the pooper lol. Its all bout their greed. They dont care about their employees any more. They think since they pay us well that we are their slaves and they own us and dont deserve to have a life. Big time peckerhead move in my opinion. Sad it really is. You only live now to make money with this job cause mon to fri you can forget about having a life. Only way to remotely get em back is hit em deep in the pocket.
exactly....we are expected to be robots who perform at their standards day in, day out...make their magical numbers while they mess with our time cards and harass us. Rules are broken, enforced and made up as they go along. I had a full time sup screaming at me inside a pc one day...got all up in my face, and I couldn't back up against the wall of bulk behind me, just had to stand there like a trapped animal smelling the onions from his bagel lol. In general, be treated like a pos until you' take a day off, then they act like the place can't function without you. Yay..gotta love monday mornings!

Last edited:

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
exactly....we are expected to be robots who perform at their standards day in, day out...make their magical numbers while they mess with our time cards and harass us. Rules are broken, enforced and made up as they go along. In general, be treated like a pos until you' take a day off, then they act like the place can't function without you. Yay..gotta love monday mornings!

Do they still mess with your timecard? Haven't had my timecard messed with since I completed probation, I wonder why......?

browntroll

reasons my job annoys me, its the same reason anyone gets annoyed. every sup tries to make impossible numbers by pressuring his
employees(pters/drivers). the worst part is alot of ppl dont know so they just assume UPS is the best place to work and i get comments like
"good for you must be nice to get paid good and have all those benefits" or "thats a good company i hear you are union which is good".
before i go off on a big rant let me just add the **** i get from ppl telling me i only work 4 hours a day so their job is automatically harder since
they work 8 hours.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Why is UPS such a miserable place to work? From top to bottom people are dissatisfied. Personally, if I was at the top I would want to make it a place where people loved coming to work, a place where people to pride in working. I have heard that is how it once was, but in the end one can't go home feeling great about the way they have been treated or the way they have treated others. I feel a UPS representative should tell customers, "thank you for choosing UPS, how can you help me?"

​Who's not happy? Once I get away from management, things are great!

You sir, are a better man than me
No I'm not I just don't let them see my disdain. I used to well I pick my spots because I do have to show them I'm mad when it comes to a member but as far as I'm concerned I smile and get even doing it with a smile. Some of these people feed off you being miserable. Misery loves company.

raceanoncr

In my 32 yrs with UPS, I was rarely in this mood.

I had pounded in my head to "Work As Directed" and that's what I did. In package car and in feeders, where I spent most of my yrs. Yes, I spent some long hrs in P/C and, horrendously, long hrs in feeders, BUT, I always worked as directed and went home with a clear conscience:

1) For knowing I did the job the correct way
2) For bringing home a fat paycheck
3) For knowing I sent management into a tailspin every day for "Working As Directed"

Sorry it didn't work for you and others but it worked for me. For those of you still in the company...you might want to try it.

mixyo

Dispatcher
'Miserable' may be too strong of a word to describe how we feel about working at UPS.

​Annoyed, frustrated, stressed, ....

Agreed. If I was miserable, I'd find another job. Annoyed, frustrates, and stress comes with every job out there, and UPS is no exception.

cynic

In my 32 yrs with UPS, I was rarely in this mood.

I had pounded in my head to "Work As Directed" and that's what I did. In package car and in feeders, where I spent most of my yrs. Yes, I spent some long hrs in P/C and, horrendously, long hrs in feeders, BUT, I always worked as directed and went home with a clear conscience:

1) For knowing I did the job the correct way
2) For bringing home a fat paycheck
3) For knowing I sent management into a tailspin every day for "Working As Directed"

Sorry it didn't work for you and others but it worked for me. For those of you still in the company...you might want to try it.

That alone is worth the price of admission daily... LMAO

JL 0513

If the job is so bad , why do drivers not quit? Even if your answer is simply money, then it proves that it's already better than anything else you can get. Otherwise, you'd go to the greener side of the fence.

Long hours? Sure. We're not the only ones though. I've had to work 60 hours a week since I started working 16 years ago because one job's paycheck was never enough. Now, I can finally work just one job. 46 hours a week is easy in comparison. How about doing what millions of other people do, work retail or in a restaurant. Work all weekend. Work every Holiday. All for about minimum wage.

THEY have something to complain about.

If the job is so bad , why do drivers not quit? Even if your answer is simply money, then it proves that it's already better than anything else you can get. Otherwise, you'd go to the greener side of the fence.

Long hours? Sure. We're not the only ones though. I've had to work 60 hours a week since I started working 16 years ago because one job's paycheck was never enough. Now, I can finally work just one job. 46 hours a week is easy in comparison. How about doing what millions of other people do, work retail or in a restaurant. Work all weekend. Work every Holiday. All for about minimum wage.

THEY have something to complain about.

This company wasnt always a bad olace to work. Yes it was always a hard job, but they didnt used to treat us like crap! I have too many years in to walk away frome my pension and benefits.