Why is it the drivers fault if someone hits you while parked?

trickpony1

why don't we use the orange cones like someone suggested?

because that would infer a degree of culpability and we all know that's not gonna happen.

rebel

You are confusing Fault with Avoidability....Professional Defensive Drivers know how to select parking positions to avoid being hit, witha degree of reasonability.....it is clearly the other drivers fault, but according to our Defensive Driving methods, it very well could be also be deemed Avoidable as following our Defensive Driving program.

If UPS admits guilt by charging their own drivers with accidents that as you put are clearly the other drivers fault, Shouldn't UPS be responsible for the repairs on the other drivers vehicle?

browniehound

Load Stand,
We all have the same type of driver's license. Where I'm from its a class D. Why should UPS drivers be held to a higher standard than anybody else with a class D? We didn't take a "proffesional driving" course to get our license, so why should we be held to a higher standard?

Fedex drivers are professional drivers, so following your logic, if they hit a UPS vehicle while parked should we absolved of all accountabilty?

As I mentioned, there is and should be a "reasonable" factor when deciding avoidability....in the city, there may not be many options, and that is probably why most are deemed avoidable.....keep in mind, it is standard practice now to tuck in your mirrors in the city and those types may be deemed Avoidable if mirrors should have been tucked....at least in our district.

In a residential situation, when you can park a few feet further from say the end of someone's driveway, you should (a half block sounds exaggerated).....we must allow for the dummies.... we are the ones that drive for a living and that is what the Defensive Driving methods are all about....

Lastly, these methods may save your life, especially when coming around bends and on the crest of hills.....too often our most serious accidents occur when the other driver crosses center and we fail to be prepared, and yes, slow down a little to allow for increased eye lead time...remember, we are all in this together and these are proven methods for your benefit...Use them!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Load Stand,
We all have the same type of driver's license. Where I'm from its a class D. Why should UPS drivers be held to a higher standard than anybody else with a class D? We didn't take a "proffesional driving" course to get our license, so why should we be held to a higher standard?

Fedex drivers are professional drivers, so following your logic, if they hit a UPS vehicle while parked should we absolved of all accountabilty?
Brownie, we here need a class c non-cdl to drive package car, but in wisconsin a d is enough so it does vary state to state.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Lets see the desk jockeys who wrote that one explain why the route took 2 hours extra to run because the driver was looking for that perfect parking spot.

Or because you tuck your mirrors at every stop. Never learned that one, in defensive driving.:wink:although I do it if its close.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
You are confusing Fault with Avoidability....Professional Defensive Drivers know how to select parking positions to avoid being hit, witha degree of reasonability.....it is clearly the other drivers fault, but according to our Defensive Driving methods, it very well could be also be deemed Avoidable as following our Defensive Driving program.
your right !!!!! lets tell anyone who hits us'' it's our fault,call your lawyer and ups will cut you a blank check'' this place is unreal,how about stepping up to the plate and defend us for a change!!!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Load Stand !!! Put Down Your Methods Book ,get Into A Pkg Car For 10 Yrs Or So And Then We Can Review It All Again!!!!!!! We Are Not In Clarkville Usa {ups Fictional Town From Old Videos friend,y,i For You New Kids] Not A Slam At You So Please Don;t Take Offense!! Just My Opinion 15 Yrs In Pkge So Iv'e Been Around!!! :)