Why is it.................

geeez aint that right? Yesterday should have been a pretty nice day, work wise. Then We left the building 40 minutes late, I had to shuttle packages out to two other drivers 65 miles from the center before I could continue on to my FIRST stop. The wind started kicking up to the tune of 45-55 MPH with gusts higher than that resulting in a max package car speed of about 60 MPH, dirt blowing across the roads at times so the visibility was less than a half mile. Wind too high to have both doors open yet temp hot enough to need the airflow. The late start resulted in getting to businesses closed for lunch that had to be returned to later and having to pick through the load to get to ones delivered that were open. I could go on and on with the little things that screw up an otherwise good day, but you've all been there. The only saving grace for the day was that because it was friday and my out going air volume could wait till saturday to go out, I didn't have to make the meet point and thus two trip into the country routes to finish. I'm so happy it's saturday now.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Why is it ...............

That on Friday evening less than two miles from the center, you have a blowout on your front tire and have to wait an hour and a half to get it fixed?

Don't ask me how I know about this!

browniehound

Why is it that some people in apartments think it will be faster for them to come down instead of buzzing me up...I always tell them that if they had let me in I'd be at my next delivery by now.

DS, now, because of our relaxed DR rules at apartment buildings I just leave the package when I talk to them through the intercom.

They say "who is it?". I reply "Its UPS, I'm leaving your package inside the main entrance".

I have not recieved 1 follow-up in the last year using this practice.

Also, if I have 4 stops for the entire building, I DR each one at the doors of each apartment once I gain access to the building (this is the method prescribed by UPS).

I have had follow-ups using this method. I now its not the best practice, but UPS says, gain access and leave the parcel. I always leave junk (vitamins, books, t-shirts, underwear (VSD), etc... . I would never leave something I though had value.

I got burnt by one chic who claimed she never got the size 7 pair of shoes I left at her door at the very end of the hall. Packages are still allowed to be DR'ed throughout the building, I just won't leave anything for this theif!

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
that you carry an O/S package to a business all day- only to finally deliver it and get it out of the middle of the car- and then have them put it back on your car when you go back to them for pick-ups that SAME DAY?

that the people at the 1800 number always tell the customer something off the wall..doesn't make since..considering they have NEVER been in a package car!!! Like oh it's ok the driver will re-attempt del. in exactly 20 min. Haha, those poor idiots.

P

preloading slave

why is it... managment will increase the amount of pph drasticly in the preload and decrease the amount of time to load (30 minutes less than last year) but expect better results than last year.

why is it... they will pay to have misloads delivered/shutteled by drivers instead of allowing a preloader to stay 10 minutes after to check his truck for misloads? hmm.. 9.50 an hour for 5-10 mins. versuses 40 something an hour for up to 30 or so extra minutes.

DS

Fenderbender
why is it...
why is it... they will pay to have misloads delivered/shutteled by drivers instead of allowing a preloader to stay 10 minutes after to check his truck for misloads? hmm.. 9.50 an hour for 5-10 mins. versuses 40 something an hour for up to 30 or so extra minutes.
Good question
Is there any mngmt person able to telling us why?

Well, I'm not management, but that wouldn't work in our center mainly because the preload is rarely wrapped up when the drivers start and having to finish loading especially air.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
I'm not management but I could imagine it has something to do with the "lost time" that would involve. Drivers need to leave the building at a decent time to get the air packages out on time. 10 minutes per car adds up and the drivers can't wait that long.
UPS already makes us come in for a 430 am start time these days. How are the preloaders supposed to get wrapped up and have that kind of time in such a short period of time. Management would say...pay attention and don't misload any packages.

DS

Fenderbender
Ah...do it right the first time....HA,they push my preloader so hard,I'm surprised there's only 5 or 6 misloads every day.I'd gladly wait 10 min for him to find them instead of me later.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
this one guy i used to load for would bitch at me every day if i didn't have his truck loaded by 850 a.m. i didn't understand why until he finally explained to me that if i wasn't wrapped up and ready to go, that he would lose so much time. i always thought he personally didn't like me but it all came down to getting the damn packages in the car.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
A person will see you back into the office driveway, watch you struggle with a pc, etc, through the picture window, yet wait for you to turn the doorknob, before they get off their fat a** and unlock the door?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why is it you climb the flight of steps to the front door only to see a little 2 inch square of paper that says go to side door and of course with a heavy package. Out of respect for an older person you go to the side. Then they answer the front. So I ask, why do you come to the front when your note says go to the side? I cant get down those stairs, she replies. I reply, why dont you take down the note ....then?