Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I blame Obama

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dave is now a moderator

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
well, something positive today. I have suggested this before...

another website i belong to about my favorite car has a membership system that is totally voluntary to pay for different levels. bronze is 10 bucks a year , silver is 25 bucks a year , and gold is 50 bucks for life. under your name and avatar has your member status for all to see. ( Gold Member , i.e. ) this members of this website have helped me out so much and saved us thousands in repairs that i happily became a lifetime member.

you don't have to pay anything to be a member but it is a nice way to support the site. i would gladly become a lifetime member to the BC to support Cheryl and the Brown Cafe.

just a thought.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Asked and answered already.
TTKU (thanks dave)
Not quite.
The original suggestion was to lock all threads once the question had been answered. Cheryl said no due to the logistics of overseeing 46K threads.

It seems like locking/archiving all threads once they reach an age limit ought to be a fairly simple software adjustment. Another option might be to put responses to an old thread into the mod queue; on-topic ones get posted, spam doesnt.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
This has been suggested to me many times over the years. The problem is that there is no automated way to do this, so it would be another task for me to take on. There are 46,332 threads here at the moment that would all have to be manually closed one by one. Another option would be to ask the mods to determine when to lock a thread so it's more responsibilities for them, and I imagine that this option would create some disputes.
Sign me up, I'll be a mod just to lock all threads as necessary.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Not quite.
The original suggestion was to lock all threads once the question had been answered. Cheryl said no due to the logistics of overseeing 46K threads.

It seems like locking/archiving all threads once they reach an age limit ought to be a fairly simple software adjustment. Another option might be to put responses to an old thread into the mod queue; on-topic ones get posted, spam doesnt.

Do you want to volunteer to decide what is on-topic and what is off-topic?

Sounds kind of subjective and unfair to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Not quite.

FFS ....why overcomplicate everything? We are all adults....and responsible for our own behavior. But, any member who doesn't control himself/herself....can be treated like a child.
A week or two in the mod queue for any member repeatedly violating Cheryl's rules oughta straighten things out real quick. :rofl:

Last edited:

hyena

I was unaware that he had done so when I quoted him.
If you find my responses disturbing perhaps you should put me on ignore also?
Speaking only for myself... I have been a member since 2008, I have approximately 6,000 posts, and not a single one of them has ever been deleted by a moderator for a TOS violation. Personal attacks are a TOS violation. So if you can go back and find even one post where I personally attacked you or called you names, by all means report it. Heck, I will even publicly apologize for it. Let us know how the search goes!
Perhaps you should just stfu and quit trying to start trouble. All the people in fluff just try to have a good time and make light of what we go through on a daily basis. If i offended you good!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Over the past few weeks some other members have messaged me that 1. the community is being ruined by a "mob mentality" 2. the newbie hazing is chasing off new members and will eventually kill off the community 3. necroposting that adds nothing to the topics is making the bc a waste of their time.

It is what it is. I enjoy the fun and frivolity of nothingless fluff but when that type of behavior starts to be purposely used to dilute content of threads where people are trying to have reasonable conversations then it becomes a distraction rather than the fun and games I believe that the participants want it to be.

I locked the thread to get the point across that bullying newbies, necroposting and derailing threads by tagging members is disruptive to the rest of the community.

Oh and by the way someone made me aware, after the fact, that a few members had gone on strike against me. Last night when I was deleting posts from the latest 2005 thread that was being trashed http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/10-5-days.1276/ I came across a post by @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U that only said the word strike. Here's a screenshot. Since this was something that seemed like a good idea to some members I thought maybe it was my turn to go on strike.

View attachment 77491
all i can tell you is that I am spending less and less time on the BC because of the problems you have listed. I think other members are doing the same. especially new ones. Sometimes I wonder whatever happened to this person or that person. they were good members that frequently added something good to the Cafe. I look up their member profile and see that they last posted months ago . You can see that they used to frequently visit BC but it became less and less.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Perhaps you should just stfu and quit trying to start trouble. All the people in fluff just try to have a good time and make light of what we go through on a daily basis. If i offended you good!
You didnt offend me. I was not even speaking to you.

If you find my posts disturbing, perhaps you should put me on your "ignore" list.

Overpaid Union Thug

Your post is a perfect example of one of the things that has been so wrong with this forum lately. And if all of the so-called "fluffers" we're just trying to have a good time then these issues would not be coming to light. I'm not sure if you have actually offended anyone. But this kind of nonsense sure is getting on a lot of people's nerves. If that's just having a good time then I would hate to see what happens when they really start trolling.

hyena

Your post is a perfect example of one of the things that has been so wrong with this forum lately. And if all of the so-called "fluffers" we're just trying to have a good time then these issues would not be coming to light. I'm not sure if you have actually offended anyone. But this kind of nonsense sure is getting on a lot of people's nerves. If that's just having a good time then I would hate to see what happens when they really start trolling.
Blah blah blah