Why is UPS forcing overtime on drivers in the summer?

wornoutupser

I give up.

I file and file and file and UPS refuses to back off of my loads. Now they refuse to pay my penalty pay. I have filed under the 9 1/2 hour clause and under harassment.

Why wont they back off? It is summer and there is no excuse other than the fact that the center does not have the guts to tell the conference call that we have to have more runs.

Can you sue for violations like this on a labor contract?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think it's time for some job action aka wildcat strike. The company is out of control. No unloaders, late starts, late loads, too much OT, splits and add/cuts with no rythm or reason, wasted miles, misloads out the butt, service failures, blowing SSI accts. Every problem caused directly by mgmnt. decisions. Are they that blind or just don't care. They are supposed to be partners. I'm scared for the future. The BM

trickpony1

I give up.

I file and file and file and UPS refuses to back off of my loads. Now they refuse to pay my penalty pay. I have filed under the 9 1/2 hour clause and under harassment.

Why wont they back off? It is summer and there is no excuse other than the fact that the center does not have the guts to tell the conference call that we have to have more runs.

Can you sue for violations like this on a labor contract?

Why isn't the famous Teamsters union doing what they are supposed to do?
Could you file with the NLRB over this?

First of all, Wornout...keep filing the grievances, keep your copies. As I understand it the company has decided not to pay the penalties on the regional level the committee was deadlocked. Now the matter has to go to the National level and if needed to arbitration. If any of you stewards here are in the know please verify or correct me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I know it's hard to not give up but don't. Is your BA taking any action on this? Are there other drivers that are getting relief from 9.5's?
Yes, this is an NLRB issue but for it to get there you have to document everything. You have to be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you did not get any representation from the union. You have to go through the process and sometimes it is slow moving.

http://www.nlrb.gov/

This should be able to answer many of your questions.

Re-Raise

For some reason, at least at my center, the number of routes we can run is dictated to our center in advance. I don't know if IE gets this from the year before volume or what. We were told at the PCM on Tuesday to expect to be heavy the rest of the week.

We have EDD in our building and it was pretty clear by all the red on the screen it was going to be a long day on Thursday. I started at 8:25 a.m. and finished at 8:15 p.m. and I wasn't the last driver in. Don't know if I ran under or over cause I don't care enough to look.

It still amazes me that with the numbers right there on the screen we can't put on routes because some forecast says we only need X number of routes to hit our stops per car.

Oh well, pay me . I just bought my 16 year old daughter a new Mustang for her birthday.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Here i have no problems getting the 9.5s paid and as of this morning just about all my 9.5s have been signed off on. Now on monday i will have another batch from the drivers.

It would be a nlrb depending on what the resoultion on the greivance is. Does the resolution say they will pay you the triple time or reduce your dispatch? If it says pay and they dont pay it than you have a ulp but if they pay it than you dont.

Now if it says that they will reduce your paid day and dont than you will have a ulp.

The problem i see is that alot of drivers are getting beat bad and worn out and at this pace the serious injuries will become an issue leaving ups shorthanded with experienced drivers for peak.

As everyone here has already said we are filing grievances and asking for less work so now the company will have to answer for it and most likely during its busiest time of the year.

Re-Raise

The sad part is you can only watch her drive it on the weekends.

You're right. Both my girls play sports and I have a hard time making it to all of their games. I tell myself and them that at least I don't have to travel for weeks at a time.

My route isn't that heavy most of the time, and I actually take my lunch at my house. I do agree with Wornout that it seems stupid to be working us overtime in the summer when volume is down and so many part-timers would love a little extra coin.

Re-Raise

Do you guys use your 8 hour requests? Everyone gets 2 per month and every driver should request them.

I don't use them unless I absolutely have to be off early. I know they will just cut 20 stops off my route and overload the route next to mine and I hate to do that to the other driver.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm fed up like everyone else.
Just reading the posts on this thread make me believe this is brought down to us from corporate.
I believed it was just my division that was screwing us sideways. Obviously some pinhead in Atlanta feels our stock will rise because they'll just pay less drivers. This horrendous mismanagement of UPS employees will be accounted for. Injuries will begin to pile up, no doubt in my mind. I don't care what a damn computer says, I can't work full tilt 100% of my paid day. When you add in extra work, a longer day, less time to recover, you will have injuries and they wont go away.
And to top off covering your asses by jamming safety down our throat, I'm beginning to turn hardcore union.

I can't wait to get hurt now:wink2:

broncobros1

I think it's time for some job action aka wildcat strike. The company is out of control. No unloaders, late starts, late loads, too much OT, splits and add/cuts with no rythm or reason, wasted miles, misloads out the butt, service failures, blowing SSI accts. Every problem caused directly by mgmnt. decisions. Are they that blind or just don't care. They are supposed to be partners. I'm scared for the future. The BM
Uhhuh...Power to the People! What a clownish statement!

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
And dont forget the new CEO has never touched a package.

wornoutupser

And dont forget the new CEO has never touched a package.

You have no clue how much I would like to take that person out for a day on a run that beats trucks to pieces and watch them sweat. I would LOVE for them to demonstrate to me how to run scratch when I am 2-3 hours over every day. TRAIN ME BABY!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm guessing that for the time being the company has decided that OT is cheaper than the gas they have to pay for by putting another route in. Yesterday morning I came in and my new min was two stops higher than my max form the day before. I noticed the min/max had been bumped up across the board in my center. I worked 11.25 hours last yesterday, it's been a long time since that happened. We'll see what monday brings.

Mike Hawk

I've been averaging over $600 a week for the last month, probably $800 for last week, this short staffing is ridiculous, that doesn't include the sup working grievances.

25yrvet

The sad part about it is that mgt knows of at least 85% of the stops coming in the next day the afternoon before on the almighty pas/edd system.