Why is UPS management considered: "The Dark Side"?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you're the type to let this bozos sway you, you are not management material anyway.
The managed never like to be managed or the people doing the managing.
The primary responsibility of a UPS supervisor is to manage (or control) their operational responsibilities and that requires getting in peoples' faces on occasion and making tough operational decisions that may be unpopular with the managed.
Your degree with UPS Management on your resume will be more valuable in a future interview with another company (a likely responsibility).
Or you can roll and float with the flow taking whatever comes your way decided by others and bitch a lot.
Life gos on either way.
Being in UPS management can also hurt you with another company. Not every company is comfortable with the UPS management style.

PT Car Washer

You like being real or fake? If you like being fake go into management if you like being real go into driving. Ask anybody and they will tell you the same thing and what it really means. That's the answer to your question, up to you to do the homework and find out the real deal for yourself youngblood.
Someone has to make a decision, right or wrong. Better to have the most knowledgeable and experienced person make the call. Think you are up to the challenge.

illegalcourier

I'm obviously a lowly inexperienced pre-loader. But also a good judge of character.

I see a lot a people in management positions who appear normal, working class citizens just trying to make a living. Same can be said with drivers, obviously.

It's hard to distinguish, "The Dark Side."

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The primary responsibility of a UPS supervisor is to manage (or control) their operational responsibilities and that requires getting in peoples' faces on occasion and making tough operational decisions that may be unpopular with the managed.
Incorrect.

A UPS supervisor does not "manage" in the traditional sense.

A UPS supervisor is a plan facilitator who does not have the authority to make operational decisions, tough or otherwise. And the plan he facilitates is not his own.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Incorrect.

A UPS supervisor does not "manage" in the traditional sense.

A UPS supervisor is a plan facilitator who does not have the authority to make operational decisions, tough or otherwise. And the plan he facilitates is not his own.
I anticipated your fascination with manage in the total sense (Plan, Lead, Organize and Control) or PLOC ... that is why I put Control in parenthesis after the word manage.
Trap set and sprung ...
http://education-portal.com/academy...ng-organizing-leading-controlling.html#lesson

rod

Retired 22 years
I believe most every hamburger flipper out there was at one time or another a part time UPS manager. They eat their young at that level.

watdaflock?

I've been a preloader for about 1 year. And enjoy working here at UPS. It's a good fit for me while in college.
Why is management (supervisor, administrative, non-driver, etc.) considered "the dark side"?
Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me? Fair pay, full time job, working administrative duties and so forth.
I've heard: Don't go management--don't sell your soul to the devil.
Realistically, what is so bad about doing that type of work? There are people willing to do it. So it can't be that bad, can it?

Bingo!
You're still in college. UPS most likely will not be your career. It's only a job right now while in school.
Personally I think college students should consider becoming part-time sups. It'll look good on your resume down the road.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving.

I heard this is huge in Asian countries. Are you willing to relocate......?

That's easier said if u don't have to b the bad guy. Then on top of everything else, the employees feel they are untouchable. In a way they are cuz of the union. But the ATTITUDES, OMG!!!!! when it's cold and early in the morning.....just imagine. And when your a young sup dealing w/ older employees.......

Lets not forget about the sexual harassment that goes on too. I've had so many female employees tell me how the guys make them feel uncomfortable. I feel sorry for the cute chics that start cuz every guy goes by to see the new girl, smh

browner89

Lets not forget about the sexual harassment that goes on too. I've had so many female employees tell me how the guys make them feel uncomfortable. I feel sorry for the cute chics that start cuz every guy goes by to see the new girl, smh

Theres a lot of that in my building, the girls who have been here as long as I have all feel really uncomfortable around the new hires they don't know because they've all been caught staring.

Thought it was paranoia at first but its legit, I guess a lot of guys don't know (or don't care) how obvious they are.

Kind of sad, at least talk to a girl if you're gonna look at her, it's a lot less creepy if you attempt to be a friend.

Being in UPS management can also hurt you with another company. Not every company is comfortable with the UPS management style.
I am also considering management. Why does everyone say not to do it. It will only be for a couple years until I graduate anyway. All I see is more $$$$. Ten an hour is :censored2: and doesn't seem that bad anyway. I know how it works too. I won't demand harder work from the people that have been there for so long. I'm not a :censored2:. But the newer dudes that come in you can guarantee that I'll ride there ass if there not doing their job up to par. So please can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do this?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
It appears that the Dark Side is a common term for management. They like to break you down by pushing the no common sense button all the time. Yesterday, they made a preload supervisor and cover driver move misloads and LIB S for our 80 driver center, she called me at 1 pm and again at 4 to say we are not going to make it to you. The driver with her almost went over the dot daily hour maximum. You want to be their puppet with corporate holding the strings, go for it.Starting out , the driver makes more. Too add to this , even the managers who are great and keep the numbers close to their unrealistic goal continously are talked with and threatened to be fired, my son walked out cause of it. Air in Trace summed it up a little better, thats reality.

Future

Victory Ride
dark-side-funny-motivational-poster.jpg
Do to the low interest in mgt....heard they started to clone center manager's

S

selfcancelsignal

Got it. And completely understand.

My only thinking is, I cannot work pre-load for the rest of my life making < $20.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving. I don't know anyone who can help me find a job. I do enjoy UPS. And sure as hell wish I knew how to drive a stick-shift.
I barely knew how to drive one when I went to driving school & was nervous as hell taking all the driving tests, but if you work hard on the preload with little to no complaining, they'll help you by letting you practice driving a PC around the hub/center. Also, find a friend who has a manual transmission & practice with their vehicle, if they'll let you. As dumb as this sounds, there are actually YouTube how to videos you can watch too. Helped me immensely. So second nature now driving a stick that I look back & wonder what I was so worried about.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

It's amazing how many nonmanagement people know everything about how it works.

To be frank, it isn't the dark side. It's a tough job in a very demanding company. We don't eat our young, or be asses. You're going to have jerk bosses no matter where you go. But if you're thinking about management you don't have to be that way no matter what anybody on here says. If you take responsibility for what you've done and don't blame it on your guys everything works fine. Everything that happens is your responsibility. So obviously stress can get high. Some decide to take it out on their employees. I personally just make sure it doesn't happen again and put safeguards in place to prevent it.

ChrisTheBrown

Got it. And completely understand.

My only thinking is, I cannot work pre-load for the rest of my life making < $20.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving. I don't know anyone who can help me find a job. I do enjoy UPS. And sure as hell wish I knew how to drive a stick-shift.
Learn how to drive a stick shift...I never thought I'd learn how, but that was before I seriously gave myself a chance. Don't ever underestimate your capabilities or use that as an excuse.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years

I need to see some pictures before I make a judgment on this. There are different degrees of "cute".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I believe most every hamburger flipper out there was at one time or another a part time UPS manager. They eat their young at that level.
That's funny, I don't know any Part-Time Managers. I wasn't aware UPS had any.
All the Full-time UPS Management I know that left UPS make a better salary although usually not as good health benefits and no pension but usually better 401k match.
Many have gone into business for themselves and appear to be doing quite well.
They seemed much happier at their jobs and less frustrated.

As for the drivers I know, they were quickly reemployed at lesser paying jobs with almost no benefits ... but they seemed much happier!