Why part timers deserve more $$$

Fnix

Part Timer dont show up to meetings because they are working there second jobs or cant afford the gas.

kingOFchester

deede99ff, take aminute to think about your statement. If you started in 1987 at $8.00 per hour, you were making over double the minimum wage of $3.85 per hour her in Georgia. I was in the same boat in 1989. Freshman in College and working at the mall for $3.85 per hour. I heard about UPS at $8.00 per hour, health insurance, and weekends off and I said "Where do I sign". Yes, you and I are making really good part-time money now and then. A $.50 increase in starting wage since 1982 is a joke. You know what $8.00 an hour bought you in 1987. It was twice as much as it buys now.
In 2006, $8.00 from 1982 is worth:
$16.71 using the Consumer Price Index
$14.87 using the GDP deflator
$16.84 using the unskilled wag
$25.12 using the nominal GDP per capita
$32.43 using the relative share of GDP

Leftinbuilding

I think its time we start questioning the membership of the phillys of the world. He did not show up here before the contract offer. He has no interest in being a part of this community here. His only interest is using this website for his own personal agenday. He's a troll in every way.

Agreed Tieguy, he is a hit and run artist. Nothing but crying and complaining. Makes me wonder how much he has invested in this company. His kind usually don't last long.

i love the personal attacks on this forum! Looks like i ruffled the feathers of some ties on here :lol: Sorry but i speak the truth and anyone whos actually done the work at UPS know it! All the company ties r brainwashed robots and dont know how to think for themselves its all about numbers and treating their workers like ****. Many part timers dont attend those meetings cuz they feel they cant make a difference or cant fit it into their schedules cuz they r working other jobs.

I started at 8.50 an hour btw :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What part timers deserve is really irrelevant. Part timers don't show up at the union hall so they don't get what they may feel they deserve.

Tie, since your in mgt, can you comment on the costs that ups has in turnover,(which I have heard of 400% number) and the cost of injuries and accidents. It seems to me that if these folks were sticking around longer and really felt like they were part of the "team", then they would take pride in their jobs, reduce misloads, etc. Not sure if they would work safer, but seems like the longer they were there, the less injuries they might have being a "seasoned" employee. seems like ups would save money, looks as if were only talking about a few dollars an hour. Any thoughts? Anyone any thoughts?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Something else to consider. In the next few years, this company is going to be having thousands of drivers, pkg and feeder retire, which will move the driving lists quicker than they have been. I waited 8 years to drive in 1999. Now the wait is under 2 years. Its only going to get quicker. I would bet in many parts of the country it is about the same. Yes, in small centers it might be longer, but im speaking in overall terms. Have any of you seen quicker waits than when you went driving?For those who started off the street, dont chime in, most of us really dont care:mad:

Leftinbuilding

i love the personal attacks on this forum! Looks like i ruffled the feathers of some ties on here :lol: Sorry but i speak the truth and anyone whos actually done the work at UPS know it! All the company ties r brainwashed robots and dont know how to think for themselves its all about numbers and treating their workers like :censored2:. Many part timers dont attend those meetings cuz they feel they cant make a difference or cant fit it into their schedules cuz they r working other jobs.

I started at 8.50 an hour btw :sad:

Sorry Hotshot, but I am not a "tie". I am someone who has invested a good portion of my life in this company and resent some johnny-come-lately spewing discontent. IF you had the talent to do something better you would be doing it. When you grow up you will appreciate things more. (hopefully)

mikeb

tnbrown
Something else to consider. In the next few years, this company is going to be having thousands of drivers, pkg and feeder retire, which will move the driving lists quicker than they have been. I waited 8 years to drive in 1999. Now the wait is under 2 years. Its only going to get quicker. I would bet in many parts of the country it is about the same. Yes, in small centers it might be longer, but im speaking in overall terms. Have any of you seen quicker waits than when you went driving?For those who started off the street, dont chime in, most of us really dont care:mad:
True. If the pension situation improves we will see a large turnover among drivers in the next 5 years. Why do u think UPS moved the progression rate from 30 months to 36? Think about it.

kingOFchester

True. If the pension situation improves we will see a large turnover among drivers in the next 5 years. Why do u think UPS moved the progression rate from 30 months to 36? Think about it.
I think the off the street hire is such BS. Everyone should start at the ground up. Why should they be able to hire out side of the union. Everyone should work inside and feel what it is like before getting a driving gig. But it is not so.

llstickem

I'll agree with that. The EDD system was supposed to make loading package cars so easy a monkey could do it .IMO its gotten worse. They need to either a hire smarter monkeys or b pay they monkeys more!!!

kingOFchester

I'll agree with that. The EDD system was supposed to make loading package cars so easy a monkey could do it .IMO its gotten worse. They need to either a hire smarter monkeys or b pay they monkeys more!!!
Pay more
fire for to many misloads and such
if they paid better they would have a bigger working pool to fish from.
Thus they could fire those who r not up to par.
new guy on my center looks like he moves in slow mow.
not sure how he can stay

Overpaid Union Thug

If you Part Timers don't like it......

GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE!

That's exactly what will happen if UPS doesn't raise the part-time starting wage. In case you haven't heard...$8.50/hr isn't worth what it used to be. Do you really want new hires out numbering experienced employees?

If you don't your only proving my point that the pay is irrelevant as to why you are here.

Again....who are you to be the judge of that?

Load Quality has improved immensely since PAS on a whole. Obviously there are still some glitches that the complainers here will harp upon though.....it is MUCH better.

Now that is hillarious. I've read too many complaints about PAS here and listened to a great deal of complaints about it from people in our building. As well comments from friends and relatives in other areas. I hate to break this to ya but PAS/EDD hasn't really done all that much except raise missloads and stop counts. But if it reduces miles, which hasn't happened here, then corporate UPS will tout it as a success.

It's like the ding dongs complaining about 3 year progression now. My god....it's real rough that it will take 36 months to go from $14.70hr to $32.12hr by the end of this new contract. What has the world come to?

Everything seems so perfect in your little world. Maybe you should turn in your browns and put on a tie and get in line with all the other sups and wait your turn to tell the drivers that they suck at their jobs and that if they don't like it then they should quit. Or maybe tell them they make too much money to complain. I love that line.

RozUPS

What part timers deserve is really irrelevant. Part timers don't show up at the union hall so they don't get what they may feel they deserve.

Because most PT employees get up at 3am and get home from the second job at around 5 or 6pm and go to bed around 9pm Or if you work twilight, day job then twilight UPS. Were do you see the free time to go to the Union hall and keep up with Union news. I agree with restructuring so that there are more FT positions for those who want a FT career with UPS and PT for thoses who only want the benefits and like what they do during the day.

kingOFchester

Because most PT employees get up at 3am and get home from the second job at around 5 or 6pm and go to bed around 9pm Or if you work twilight, day job then twilight UPS. Were do you see the free time to go to the Union hall and keep up with Union news. I agree with restructuring so that there are more FT positions for those who want a FT career with UPS and PT for thoses who only want the benefits and like what they do during the day.
My work week:
M-friend
3:45am wake up
4:10am drive to UPS
4:20am punch in
8:15am punch out and drive 1hr to my business and open (retail)
9:15am open business
5:00pm close and drive 1hr to close business 2 (lottery stand)
7:00pm close stand drive home
7:15pm eat, shower, wash and 30min of TV
9:00pm bed
Sat
7:30am wake eat
8:00am drive 1 hr to retail business
4:00pm close drive 1hr and close lottery
7:00pm drive home
10:00pm bed
Sun
8:30am wake up
10:00am open lottery
5:00pm close and go home

Including all of this I have to ofcourse mange all my personal finances and also make it to kids games and school events and have them stay with me 2-4 days every 2 weeks.
Tough........hell yea
But I am glad that I am able to work at UPS. To have the chance to drive.
I am not complaining. This is why I hate to see people sit on their butts and complain that they have no work. sorry to vent. friend

SmithBarney

"It's like the ding dongs complaining about 3 year progression now. My god....it's real rough that it will take 36 months to go from $14.70hr to $32.12hr by the end of this new contract. What has the world come to?"

No kidding, 14.70-15.75 my first year as a driver yielded between 45-50k take home pay.
so please... don't you worry anyone going through the progression isn't suffering

I do agree P/T should get paid more.
I think $10-11/hr with performance based raises(including regular non performance based increases) should be the norm..

D

deede99ff

If you include the pension and the insurance benfits I recieve, the pay is wonderful. The poverty rate in 2006 for a family of 4 was $19,000.00. Today, for a family of 2, I make much more than that. I know that UPS is a job of a life time for someone without a college education. I am very thankful. Don't be greedy!!

M

Mr. Part timer

We don't have the TIME 2 get to these meetings because we have to juggle around with this part time job and our 2nd full time job to support our families. I work 14 hrs. between the 2 jobs and no time for myself or family yet I should just go hang out at a meeting at a union hall when they already know OUR situation.
Our issues are no secret.

VTBrown

Big Arrow......

Gee you've listened to this little forum on PAS.

PAS has made HUGE differences in load quality. We had missloads BEFORE PAS and guess what - We STILL have them.

The same people who couldn't figure they were walking into the wrong truck prior to PAS are still doing it now.

Let's see.....Stop counts are so close to dead on it's almost not even funny. Prior it could be 20 or so off. Kind of hard to fight your 9.5 letter when only to find out on road your Preloader couldn't click the clicker every time he entered the car with a new stop.

Stops are almost always close to in order now. Before...please what a joke.
Want to talk about on road sort time. Now I'm only moving packages forward or picking up what dropped/vibrated out of place.

Let's see with EDD we can scroll down through our planned day to see what we actually have for deliveries today. Seeing whats bulk or what chasers we may have.

Have you ever listened to most UPS drivers? Most all complain about their jobs. It's all crap. We wouldn't be here doing it if something wasn't worth it to us.

Same as the freaken part-timers. It's not the pay. FedEx pay's $9.50 an hour here to start preload. Guess what they can't even fully staff their shops as it's in the paper weekly.

Why? Well...cause at Ground you can't work yourself into a driving job without credit.

So tell...me if the pay is crap, why are the Preloaders here? It's not the money....so why? Whats your opinion?

VTBrown

I think the off the street hire is such BS. Everyone should start at the ground up. Why should they be able to hire out side of the union. Everyone should work inside and feel what it is like before getting a driving gig. But it is not so.

Why is that? Because you chose to? You decided to play the waiting game of seniority instead of the waiting game of lay-off? Shouldn't you feel what it is like making sure you have alternate work lined up so you can keep putting food on the table? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to not be guaranteed work every day? Not to be able to count on a certain amount in your paycheck weekly? Shouldn't you feel what it's like to STILL have to pay Union dues with no representation?

Driving is NOT for everyone........I've seen FAR more lousy drivers getting jobs due to having seniority then lousy drivers hired from the outside.

Your new at UPS, correct? You've never loaded prior to PAS? If I'm wrong I'm sorry.....but don't tell those of us who have the old way how hard your job is now.