Why people quit

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
So you'd have considered the part time job at say $10?

In my situation (family) and to wait a year for benefits? Nope. Not at all. Only reason I took the position was the benefits. The $8.50/hour barely fills up the gas tank. Your mileage may vary.

Are you trying to say as an unloader you have the same responsibilities as any other position at UPS? What is there to hold you accountable for?

I have not mentioned the word “responsibility” anywhere. I’ve used the word “work”. It is my personal belief (And I would appreciate hearing if others agree) that unloading/loading are THE MOST physically demanding jobs at UPS. I lost 35lbs in 2 months, drank a gallon of water each shift. It is hard, dirty, grueling, hot, miserable work, with absolutely no rewards or sense of satisfaction on completion – work that simply deserves more than $8.50/hour.

…Unloading while physical is pretty much the bottom of the barrel type of work…

I’m actually embarrassed FOR you for writing that. So, not only have you never been a PT unloader for UPS, working M-friend from 3am-9am every day, but you have never had a “labor” job before either?

Jigawatts

Reasons I need the job:
1) Benefits.
2) Potential to be a driver and earn good money.

Reasons I think about quitting everyday:
1) Part of my job is to scan and load Macy's packages. They recently
took away my rollers, making my job 10 times harder.

2) Had an opportunity about a month ago to take a DCAP position. I
believe I was lied to about the job so I wouldn't take the position because
they know I can handle my area. If I would have known they were going
to take my rollers, I would have taken the DCAP. I'm extraordinarily mad
about that.

3) I've been there 5 years. Have at least 7 before I become a driver. I'm
not sure how much longer I can handle 2 jobs.

4) I'm 29 and it hurts to get out of bed in the morning.

5) I would like to enjoy Christmas again.

I apologize in advance for this rant being my first post here, but hey,
I feel like complaining today.:wink2:

OP said:
Wonder if the staff level folks will ever figure out why long time employees leave on their own? Sometimes the money is not all life is about....

Corporations already understand the reasons for quitting, for sure; volumes have been written on the topic.

That's completely ****** UP but I believe every word of it! This company IMO is pissing on everything Jim Casey stood for and put in place.

You may be right about the pissing on ideals, but as far as the company turning a profit or making a projection is concerned, I don't believe that high turnover affects such goals as much as workers like to think. My first day worker experience was just that, a worker's experience. I'll have to weigh everyday whether my experience at the job vs. my current personal needs justify staying or quitting.

In my situation (family) and to wait a year for benefits? Nope. Not at all. Only reason I took the position was the benefits. The $8.50/hour barely fills up the gas tank. Your mileage may vary.

I have not mentioned the word “responsibility” anywhere. I’ve used the word “work”. It is my personal belief (And I would appreciate hearing if others agree) that unloading/loading are THE MOST physically demanding jobs at UPS. I lost 35lbs in 2 months, drank a gallon of water each shift. It is hard, dirty, grueling, hot, miserable work, with absolutely no rewards or sense of satisfaction on completion – work that simply deserves more than $8.50/hour.

I’m actually embarrassed FOR you for writing that. So, not only have you never been a PT unloader for UPS, working M-friend from 3am-9am every day, but you have never had a “labor” job before either?

Wait wait wait, preload unloader? Unloaders from other shifts would laugh at you if they heard you say your job was hard.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Reasons I need the job:
1) Benefits.
2) Potential to be a driver and earn good money.

Reasons I think about quitting everyday:
1) Part of my job is to scan and load Macy's packages. They recently
took away my rollers, making my job 10 times harder.

2) Had an opportunity about a month ago to take a DCAP position. I
believe I was lied to about the job so I wouldn't take the position because
they know I can handle my area. If I would have known they were going
to take my rollers, I would have taken the DCAP. I'm extraordinarily mad
about that.

3) I've been there 5 years. Have at least 7 before I become a driver. I'm
not sure how much longer I can handle 2 jobs.

4) I'm 29 and it hurts to get out of bed in the morning.

5) I would like to enjoy Christmas again.

I apologize in advance for this rant being my first post here, but hey,
I feel like complaining today.:wink2:
Personally, I feel that was an excellent post. May I suggest getting feeder qualified?? I say this because you NEVER know what changes can occur with this company. All of a sudden there may be ten new feeder runs available, and if you are qualified, you are set. I waited many years to go full-time as well. Not complaining, as I knew it would take a while. It was well worth the wait. If you put all the crap aside, this is a good company to work for. It is hard to put the crap aside sometimes. Good luck and hang in there.

deathracer

Wait wait wait, preload unloader? Unloaders from other shifts would laugh at you if they heard you say your job was hard.
i have unloaded in preload before and its not fun at all, im sure other shifts might have it harder but were not all meant to unload or physically able to do it. i freaking hate bulk/irreg packages especially when management send a small guy like me to unload those packages of course by myself so i can get them out of the way for the unloaders that unload daily. remember the same package that you unload someone in preload is also gonna have to unload it so it can get sorted, loaded into a famous brown truck and eventually delivered.

i have unloaded in preload before and its not fun at all, im sure other shifts might have it harder but were not all meant to unload or physically able to do it. i freaking hate bulk/irreg packages especially when management send a small guy like me to unload those packages of course by myself so i can get them out of the way for the unloaders that unload daily. remember the same package that you unload someone in preload is also gonna have to unload it so it can get sorted, loaded into a famous brown truck and eventually delivered.

I've worked midnight loading for 5-6 hours only to clock out and go straight to preload unload. It sucks, but it aint that hard. Now if I tried pulling a double that involved twilight or midnight unload, I'd probably die. Preload unload is slower and less work. Our midnight might get 37-40 loads as apposed to preloads 5-6. Granted midnight has more unloaders, they have to work ALOT faster which is ALOT harder. As far as preload unload compared to my midnight loading, sometimes I'd rather unload, sometimes I'd rather load. Either way it's all pie.