Why Senior Employees Should Be Pro-Union

vantexan

You are really reaching bro. We would not get 30 in the first contract and topout probably closer to 10 years. Topout could be phased in . All these things are negotiated and nobody here is saying that we would get UPS pay. You are just repeating the fear mongering that the company spews out. What UPS has in its contract doesn't equate to what we would get especially a first contract. Here is my example. What if pay was equal per your job title based on years of service. Setting aside the different pay scales right now, which is a joke right now. Topout could be phased in during the length of the contract.Increases in medical benefits and retirement over the life of the contract. Again all this is negotiated as far as amounts. The company doesn't care how the money is spent, they only look at it in terms of $ per hour per employee. I don't think that is asking for the world for a company that is in the top 100 of the Fortune 500 list.

No, I'm repeating what has been said here for years, you know, "Same job, different trucks" and all that. Contracts are for 5 years I believe and you yourself are saying all that could be phased in. Tell me where the money will come from on all of that? The lowest payscale pays top-out of $22.57. Most who make that are well over 10 years so if 10 years is your standard and top pay will be say $28hr then you are talking about tens of thousands being raised substantially, immediately, with many more coming in right behind them. Please show me where the $Billions are going to come from? And of course you want better healthcare and retirement. Is that phased in? Will only some get good healthcare while others wait 10 years for it? Well? The fact is it's really easy to scream unfair and ripoff but if you take the time to crunch the numbers it doesn't add up. The only way it does is if Ground becomes significantly bigger and there's substantially more profit. Then if they give you everything you want the Ground guys are going to be the field slaves, breaking their backs so that you can live well. Sound familiar?

MAKAVELI

You are really reaching bro. We would not get 30 in the first contract and topout probably closer to 10 years. Topout could be phased in . All these things are negotiated and nobody here is saying that we would get UPS pay. You are just repeating the fear mongering that the company spews out. What UPS has in its contract doesn't equate to what we would get especially a first contract. Here is my example. What if pay was equal per your job title based on years of service. Setting aside the different pay scales right now, which is a joke right now. Topout could be phased in during the length of the contract.Increases in medical benefits and retirement over the life of the contract. Again all this is negotiated as far as amounts. The company doesn't care how the money is spent, they only look at it in terms of $ per hour per employee. I don't think that is asking for the world for a company that is in the top 100 of the Fortune 500 list.

No, I'm repeating what has been said here for years, you know, "Same job, different trucks" and all that. Contracts are for 5 years I believe and you yourself are saying all that could be phased in. Tell me where the money will come from on all of that? The lowest payscale pays top-out of $22.57. Most who make that are well over 10 years so if 10 years is your standard and top pay will be say $28hr then you are talking about tens of thousands being raised substantially, immediately, with many more coming in right behind them. Please show me where the $Billions are going to come from? And of course you want better healthcare and retirement. Is that phased in? Will only some get good healthcare while others wait 10 years for it? Well? The fact is it's really easy to scream unfair and ripoff but if you take the time to crunch the numbers it doesn't add up. The only way it does is if Ground becomes significantly bigger and there's substantially more profit. Then if they give you everything you want the Ground guys are going to be the field slaves, breaking their backs so that you can live well. Sound familiar?

Like I said all the specifics would be negotiated. Better than the system we have now. Those are just some of my ideas. As far as the money. Like I said it's there the issue is where it's being spent.

Ricochet1a

Negotiations between ORGANIZED labor and unorganized labor are completely different animals...

Say the employees of Express organize and get the NLRB to compel Express to recognize the union. At that point very specific rules kick in, EVEN IN THE ABSENCE OF AN AGREED TO CONTRACT.

Being under the RLA does restrict Express' ability to dramatically cut compensation (the RLA does have prohibitions on that, to discourage 'disruptions' to national commerce), but doesn't state that compensation must follow any real guidelines as to progression. It is all under 'good faith'. Companies not under RLA, actually have more leeway to cut their non-organized employees compensation if they see fit. The RLA does have a dual edge - it makes it harder for employees in companies so covered to actually organize, but they also have some protection against changes in compensation which are not in good faith. Employees working for employers under NLRA rules have a much easier time to actually organize, but should they remain non-organized, are at risk of having compensation cut without their employer being fearful of federal intervention. Fred's business model works much better under RLA rules, thus why he paid to get under them.

However, should the Express employees organize, enter into a negotiation with Fred, then come up empty handed - they go back to work at their ORIGINAL wages, work conditions, etc. In other words, they don't risk losing what they have, as a potential consequence of organizing and entering into the highly structured collective bargaining process. In a typical non labor contract negotiation, everything is fair game, if one side is in a power position, they can present terms which are in essence 'take it or leave it'. Both parties are assumed to enter into the process as equally competent players and equally able to walk away. The same assumption doesn't apply to employer-employee negotiations when the employees are represented by a union.

overflowed

Not making excuses, just being realistic. Alot of those purchases you mention involve the company taking on debt to pay for them. They don't just pay cash. And new planes and vehicles need to be bought from time to time. He doesn't completely replace our fleet when he purchases new planes, just replaces as needed and the newer purchases are for more economical operating planes. Purchasing new companies, just as in the past, opens up new avenues of growth and profit. They can't all be winners, Kinko's being a prime example. By channeling most of the company's revenue into payroll how are you going to replace needed equipment?

Any union negotiations will at some point involve better benefits, especially medical and pension. And I'm assuming you'll have one payscale across the board which would bring up many couriers $12-$15hr above their current pay. So you're going to pay a courier $30,000 more a year on just 40 hrs? Jackpot!

As is FedEx could do better by us. But nowhere near what you guys believe they can do. If they operate much like UPS they can do much better, but most of it will most likely go to Ground to keep building them up and making their drivers happier.

Not their drivers. BB and his ilk.

bbsam

Staff member
On this one, you are incorrect. Negotiating labor contracts are unlike any other contract. There are specific rules and procedures under NLRA

National Labor Relations Act | NLRB

Specifically....

(d) [Obligation to bargain collectively] For the purposes of this section, to bargain collectively is the performance of the mutual obligation of the employer and the representative of the employees to meet at reasonable times and confer in good faith with respect to wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment, or the negotiation of an agreement or any question arising thereunder, and the execution of a written contract incorporating any agreement reached if requested by either party, but such obligation does not compel either party to agree to a proposal or require the making of a concession: Provided, That where there is in effect a collective- bargaining contract covering employees in an industry affecting commerce, the duty to bargain collectively shall also mean that no party to such contract shall terminate or modify such contract, unless the party desiring such termination or modification--

An employer entering into the very structured bargaining process by attempting to state, "We start at minimum wage and go from there", is not bargaining in good faith. Don't want to get into a convoluted legal argument - since it would serve no purpose, but rest assured, the 'starting point' in the bargaining process under NLRA/RLA is current wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment. The organized employee's don't start from 'scratch'.

I stand corrected.

MAKAVELI

Not making excuses, just being realistic. Alot of those purchases you mention involve the company taking on debt to pay for them. They don't just pay cash. And new planes and vehicles need to be bought from time to time. He doesn't completely replace our fleet when he purchases new planes, just replaces as needed and the newer purchases are for more economical operating planes. Purchasing new companies, just as in the past, opens up new avenues of growth and profit. They can't all be winners, Kinko's being a prime example. By channeling most of the company's revenue into payroll how are you going to replace needed equipment?

Any union negotiations will at some point involve better benefits, especially medical and pension. And I'm assuming you'll have one payscale across the board which would bring up many couriers $12-$15hr above their current pay. So you're going to pay a courier $30,000 more a year on just 40 hrs? Jackpot!

As is FedEx could do better by us. But nowhere near what you guys believe they can do. If they operate much like UPS they can do much better, but most of it will most likely go to Ground to keep building them up and making their drivers happier.

Not their drivers. BB and his ilk.

Exactly. You even have a ground manager on here saying the contractors have autonomy as to wages and benefits they pay their drivers. According to him FedEx has no control in that aspect. Just like upstate said, why would bb pay more if he doesn't have to? In fact this is the reason so many contractors on here are against a unionized Express. It would put pressure on them to actually pay a decent wage and benefits.

bbsam

Staff member
Exactly. You even have a ground manager on here saying the contractors have autonomy as to wages and benefits they pay their drivers. According to him FedEx has no control in that aspect. Just like upstate said, why would bb pay more if he doesn't have to? In fact this is the reason so many contractors on here are against a unionized Express. It would put pressure on them to actually pay a decent wage and benefits.

Why? What Express pays has nothing to do with what contractors pay. Why would a unionized Express make it any different for Ground drivers?

Ricochet1a

Why? What Express pays has nothing to do with what contractors pay.

Correct... different legal animals.

Why would a unionized Express make it any different for Ground drivers?

Technically speaking, none. However, if Express were to unionize, I guarantee that the drivers in Ground would be none too pleased about their own situation. There wouldn't be much they could do about it, but they would be even less inclined to take what they are currently being offered to do what they are doing. It would cause problems in Ground.

You don't think they would want their sliver?

Seeing the Express Couriers getting some more in their pocket... most certainly, the Ground drivers would be expecting some extra coin in their pockets too.

Demonstrates all the more how much Fred has to lose should the Express Couriers finally get it through their collective heads to organize.

bbsam

Staff member
Of course, but if Express were to organize, you don't think your boys would expect a little more in their pay envelope each Friday?

Strangely, no. We are so uninvolved with them that in the past when Express got raises, nobody at Ground even took notice. I don't even know that alot of Ground people even consider themselves anything like Express except that we are the ones making the huge profits for the company. Maybe that's it. We already know we should be getting a bigger share but this is just how it's always been.

vantexan

Strangely, no. We are so uninvolved with them that in the past when Express got raises, nobody at Ground even took notice. I don't even know that alot of Ground people even consider themselves anything like Express except that we are the ones making the huge profits for the company. Maybe that's it. We already know we should be getting a bigger share but this is just how it's always been.

I guarantee that if Ground guys know that they are creating the bulk of FedEx' profit and it's going to pay for union high wages and great benefits at Express it'll be a problem. Can't imagine someone making $15hr, if that much, with little or no benefits being perfectly fine with Express drivers making twice as much with good healthcare and a decent pension.

MAKAVELI

Of course, but if Express were to organize, you don't think your boys would expect a little more in their pay envelope each Friday?

That's a good one. The only reason ground is making huge profits is because of the contractor scam model. If ground were all employees like express, would FedEx be making huge profits? Hell no. If you had to pay express wages and benefits, would you be turning 6 figures. I think not. Would you be a contractor if you made only say 30- 40k? Probably not. See the only way it works is if FedEx can make those huge profits and throw you some cash. What does that leave your drivers ? Peanuts. As long as this scam is in place the drivers will never see more than they are getting now. It's a pyramid scheme