Why shouldn't we strike?

JL 0513

Where/when were these hiccups you speak of? I don't recall UPS EVER having a bad quarter (in the red) in their history--even during strike times. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was speaking generally of companies going into a bad recession. If you are not sitting on a lot of capital (relative to the size of the company), you're likely going to die as a company.

I love the fact, and take pride in working for a company making billions. Everyone should feel that way. I'm all for small businesses, but if you've worked for one, you know there's usually low pay and benefits involved and your job is not nearly as secure as it is working for a fortune 500 company. Sure, it's a lot less personal, but job security/pay/benefits is the #1 priority.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
$13/hr for starting PT is nothing compared to the tremendous turn over. $15/hr and maybe UPS could have a stable workforce which would save money over the short and long term. FT may have to take a wage freeze over the short term to make it work and not sure if that is doable. No such thing as Union solidarity anymore and that will be the Teamsters downfall.
$15 is a lot to ask for. I'd imagine that would push total compensation into the $30 range?

Obviously depends a little where you live but $12-13 an hour here would be adequate to hire good people.

Also how about we reward the ones that stay? I'm more worried about their progression. No reason it should be less than the general wage increases.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Our competitors would love to see us strike. More volume for them and less for us. What an ignorant post.
For arguments sake, if we were to strike for 3 weeks, do you honestly think our competitors could handle the extra volume? Isnt the end goal of FE and UPS just to keep the volume to themselves, knowing we need the other to avoid meltdowns. My building is bursting at the seams as is.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
$15 is a lot to ask for. I'd imagine that would push total compensation into the $30 range?

Obviously depends a little where you live but $12-13 an hour here would be adequate to hire good people.

Also how about we reward the ones that stay? I'm more worried about their progression. No reason it should be less than the general wage increases.
Aldi starts cashiers at 11.75, and you gotta bag it yourself. Idk.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was speaking generally of companies going into a bad recession. If you are not sitting on a lot of capital (relative to the size of the company), you're likely going to die as a company.

I love the fact, and take pride in working for a company making billions. Everyone should feel that way. I'm all for small businesses, but if you've worked for one, you know there's usually low pay and benefits involved and your job is not nearly as secure as it is working for a fortune 500 company. Sure, it's a lot less personal, but job security/pay/benefits is the #1 priority.

All I'm saying is UPS does well. If the troops don't ask for more UPS sure as hell won't offer it and no way in hell should you guys be giving up what was fought for years ago. My dad always told us boys that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the meek don't inherit nothing. I had probably 10 jobs between jr. high school and the Army and I was very very seldom turned down when I asked for a raise.

PT Car Washer

Potential new employees are voting with their feet in my building and I live in the midwest with a lower living wage. You can make more money working at Walmart per week. Sad when Walmart is stealing all of our quality workers.

JL 0513

All I'm saying is UPS does well. If the troops don't ask for more UPS sure as hell won't offer it and no way in hell should you guys be giving up what was fought for years ago. My dad always told us boys that the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the meek don't inherit nothing. I had probably 10 jobs between jr. high school and the Army and I was very very seldom turned down when I asked for a raise.

Agreed. We and the union must keep fighting to keep what we have and for reasonable GWI's. I'm just saying that a strike would be idiotic in out current situation in which the OP is describing.

Dr.Brownz

* I think the main thing we need is make the 9.5 list all inclusive and you have to opt out if you want more work. We need to take measures with this contract to improve working conditions or it will only get worse over the next few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

vvv

It's not the publics choice. It's UPS's. They will loose millions possibly billions if we strike. :censored2: UPS the power is in our hands.
Very well said my friend.

My knees, back, time spent away from family, etc.....could give a :censored2: about public perception.
When your body is somewhat deteriorated when retirement time comes due to the wear and tear over the years regardless how safe you work, well I don't think the public will have us in mind then.......so why care about them now.
I'm the least bit concerned with someone who doesn't know what it takes to get this type of job done.
We're the main wheel that keeps this thing going, and for what this company rakes in we deserve far more.

vvv

Just reading some of the "roll over and play dead" posts on here by a few like Upstate I can imagine the company is getting more geared up every day to take stuff away. They would be fools not to when people post such crap about not wanting to strike because they have "enough" already. The last I looked UPS is still making money hand over fists and certainly won't share the wealth if no one wants it.
Jesus mercy.......a voice of strength and reason.

C'mon Rod, you don't want to pull your pants down and beg for it one more time like our brother Upstate?
I mean we should all be so grateful and honored to be hammered from behind by Big Brown and take it with a smile. :)