Why shouldn't we strike?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I love when workers complain that the company they work for is having record profits. Um, so you're saying that you would rather work for a company that is just getting by? Just above breaking even?
So when a hiccup comes along, where's your job going to be? This mindset is unbelievable. And don't come back with the CEO pay argument. If you took that all away, it would just be pennies for everyone.

A driver strike today would be ludicrous. At the end of the next contract, we'll be closing in on $40/hr. If anything, UPS is desperate to stop the growth of our compensation. Have to wonder if there is a tipping point for paying delivery drivers so much. Striking as the highest paid people by far in our field is laughable. High pay is usually reserved for a few reasons. Hard to find the skilled individual. The value that a certain person brings to a company. Maybe hard to get someone willing to do a job. UPS driver doesn't really check any of these. No higher education needed and there's wait times years long to go driving.

Run this bright idea by a FedEx driver and see what he does.
This is a short-sighted post. You are speaking "driver strike". That's probably because you haven't been around long. Most people working as hourlies for UPS are NOT drivers making $36/hr and I am pretty sure UPS does not have a problem compensating their feeder and package drivers well, and will continue to do so. The problem is that the heartbeat of the company (everyone else) seems to be left behind by both the union and company.

But really, "driver strike" ...see how that works out

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I understand a lot of you on here are against a strike and you keep throwing around that people won't support it because drivers making 34 per hour blah blah blah. I get the public view of UPS is "drivers" but the entire collective bargaining unit of UPS personnel is not just drivers and they sure as heck are not making 34 per hour. I make 13.5 driving Saturday air. I made 15 per hour driver a shuttle bus on Saturday in a tourist town and that job was like going to a party every saturday. Lol
On preload I make 11 and get what a 50 cent raise every year?
I'm sure theirs other positions in the same boat that I don't have knowledge of and I understand the are PT jobs but they are necessary jobs as well. Those guys unloading trucks are killing themselves for chump change and all the while have to deal with sups going on about how slow they are and dont mention we are understaffed. They expect you to pick up the slack deal with being understaffed and do the job of 2 men for 11 bucks an hour. Union strong? I have decided to make the sacrifice stick it out, work a full time job after preload, and just hope to get the opportunity to drive. But it would be nice to be paid and or treated well in the meantime.

Let me add to this... when I was on seasonal and done preload with a few days added a couple hours driver helper I started out at 15 per hour. I was literally making more on preload then some of the people that had been there for 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:

By The Book

This is a short-sighted post. You are speaking "driver strike". That's probably because you haven't been around long. Most people working as hourlies for UPS are NOT drivers making $36/hr and I am pretty sure UPS does not have a problem compensating their feeder and package drivers well, and will continue to do so. The problem is that the heartbeat of the company (everyone else) seems to be left behind by both the union and company.
If all employees had the same progression and top scale pay rate, I wonder what that pay rate would be? Somewhere in the $25.00 for top scale? Drivers are the highest paid hourly employees because they are the face of UPS. They have the most responsibility, work the most hours, and are under the most scrutiny. If part timers want to make the big bucks they have to accept the lower wages in their classification.

I understand a lot of you on here are against a strike and you keep throwing around that people won't support it because drivers making 34 per hour blah blah blah. I get the public view of UPS is "drivers" but the entire collective bargaining unit of UPS personnel is not just drivers and they sure as heck are not making 34 per hour. I make 13.5 driving Saturday air. I made 15 per hour driver a shuttle bus on Saturday in a tourist town and that job was like going to a party every saturday. Lol
I'm sure theirs other positions in the same boat that I don't have knowledge of and I understand the are PT jobs but they are necessary jobs as well. Those guys unloading trucks are killing themselves for chump change and all the while have to deal with sups going on about how slow they are and dont mention we are understaffed. They expect you to pick up the slack deal with being understaffed and do the job of 2 men for 11 bucks an hour. Union strong? I have decided to make the sacrifice stick it out, work a full time job after preload, and just hope to get the opportunity to drive. But it would be nice to be paid and or treated well in the meantime.
None of us get treated nice. And as far as the preload goes.... part timers don't vote, so you get nothing

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Let me add to this... when I was on seasonal and done preload with a few days added a couple hours driver helper I started out at 15 per hour. I was literally making more on preload then some of the people that had been there for 3 or 4 years.
Ok.
What, in your opinion, needs to change?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I'm not saying part timers don't deserve more but did your $15 an hour job have any benefits?

Your $11 at ups is really $20+.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I love when workers complain that the company they work for is having record profits. Um, so you're saying that you would rather work for a company that is just getting by? Just above breaking even?
So when a hiccup comes along, where's your job going to be? This mindset is unbelievable. And don't come back with the CEO pay argument. If you took that all away, it would just be pennies for everyone.

A driver strike today would be ludicrous. At the end of the next contract, we'll be closing in on $40/hr. If anything, UPS is desperate to stop the growth of our compensation. Have to wonder if there is a tipping point for paying delivery drivers so much. Striking as the highest paid people by far in our field is laughable. High pay is usually reserved for a few reasons. Hard to find the skilled individual. The value that a certain person brings to a company. Maybe hard to get someone willing to do a job. UPS driver doesn't really check any of these. No higher education needed and there's wait times years long to go driving.

Run this bright idea by a FedEx driver and see what he does.

Pay isn't the issue. Ask any feeder driver and he or she will tell you the real story. Management continues to break our contract by the blatant use of subcontractors to move our freight. This alone is a reason to strike. Because it is a reason doesn't mean we have to strike, but it is our only tool in the bag to get UPS to follow the contract they signed.

The problem is our International seems not to care about the problem, and it is a problem. If we continue to allow it to happen, it is the crack in our dam. If UPS has no fear of using subs outside the time they are allowed, then we will be finished as we know it. UPS would love nothing better than using Coyote to move ALL of our freight, if they can get away with it. And the ball rolls downhill. Nothing would stop them from doing the same thing in package car. It's not a stretch to think they could easily figure out a way to sub out the package side.

Money is the issue, but not hourly pay. Our ability to move OUR bargaining work is what really pays us, and it is in real danger. The scary thing about it, is our International either doesn't have the balls, or the will to address it. And make no mistake, if this isn't corrected, it affects every full-time, Teamster working at UPS.

JL 0513

But really, "driver strike" ...see how that works out

The implication of the thread was driver strike, or at least that was the assumption.

I started PT in 2006 for peanuts. $8.00/hr to break my back for 3.5 hrs a night. There's only two reasons that keeps a person there for that type of work. Health insurance and the expectation of eventually going driving. Took me 6 years until I got the call.

So my post was targeted at the idea of a driver strike. You are right that part timers deserve more for busting their balls at UPS. I wouldn't be surprised to hear part timers wanting to strike. I just don't see the organization happening to get there.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
None of us get treated nice. And as far as the preload goes.... part timers don't vote, so you get nothing

I could handle not getting treated nice if pay progression was better even if the wage maxed out at driver start pay it would be a good job.
My senority date on preload is right at a year ago I believe and I still have received zilch from the union. Can part timers vote? If so do they intentionally keep us in the dark so we don't try to turn the tide or are we just screwed no matter what?

I could handle not getting treated nice if pay progression was better even if the wage maxed out at driver start pay it would be a good job.
My senority date on preload is right at a year ago I believe and I still have received zilch from the union. Can part timers vote? If so do they intentionally keep us in the dark so we don't try to turn the tide or are we just screwed no matter what?
Every Union member can vote. Mist part timers don't.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
I'm not saying part timers don't deserve more but did your $15 an hour job have any benefits?

Your $11 at ups is really $20+.

So a drivers making 34 is really 54. I give it extra because I would assume a full time drivers benefits are a bit better.

If 54 is the real number for a driver then maybe no driver should ever want better or even request an 8 hour day.

I do understand what you are saying though... However I don't believe that's good enough reason to roll over and accept 11 per hour with horrible pay progression.