Why shouldn't we strike?

By The Book

The problem is that the heartbeat of the company (everyone else) seems to be left behind by both the union and company.
Correct me if I'm wrong....are you saying everyone other than feeder drivers and drivers are the heartbeat of the company? I believe your post was alluding to the fact the part time employees are underpaid. My reply was that if they were to be paid more, (in line with drivers pay) that when these part timers went full time they wouldn't be at $36.00 top scale. We drivers vote what's in our best interest, which only helps the part timers when they become drivers, it's all tied together is what I'm saying.

Correct me if I'm wrong....are you saying everyone other than feeder drivers and drivers are the heartbeat of the company? I believe your post was alluding to the fact the part time employees are underpaid. My reply was that if they were to be paid more, (in line with drivers pay) that when these part timers went full time they wouldn't be at $36.00 top scale. We drivers vote what's in our best interest, which only helps the part timers when they become drivers, it's all tied together is what I'm saying.
Most part timers don't vote. 30 years ago $8 an gour loading trucks wasn't bad money. 30 years later $10 an hour sucks.

By The Book

I do understand what you are saying though... However I don't believe that's good enough reason to roll over and accept 11 per hour with horrible pay progression.
Tell me you're not blaming drivers for not voting. If part time employees want a better contract they need to get off their arse and vote! Like I've said before I believe a lot of part timers don't vote because we (full timers) vote for those raises that the new drivers who just made top scale are getting.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Metaphorically yes. Feeder drivers too, since they aren't really the "face" so much either. By heartbeat I mean underneath the shiny facade shield and image that UPS portrays to the public.

Again, you are making this massive leap from $10 to $36/hr. I think PT starting pay should be in the 13-14 range, which isn't anywhere near the ballpark that you are running with. Would you agree with $2-3 /hr going to PT starting wages?

Most part-timers never go driving, so I don't agree with your last point. What you said sounds more like a cop-out, when people feel the need to justify their behavior in any way possible. ;)

Last edited:

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Tell me you're not blaming drivers for not voting. If part time employees want a better contract they need to get off their arse and vote! Like I've said before I believe a lot of part timers don't vote because we (full timers) vote for those raises that the new drivers who just made top scale are getting.

Part timers don't vote because they are uninformed. Seriously to some degree they are kept in the dark and even coming here to get information can sometimes be daunting.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Does anyone think that preloaders should stay at 11 or 10 and under the current contract progress over 4 years of service to what 12.75 or 13.75? Just curious is anyone against this changing?

Part timers don't vote because they are uninformed. Seriously to some degree they are kept in the dark and even coming here to get information can sometimes be daunting.
That's just an excuse. Nobody is stopping them from going to a union meeting or casting a ballot. Also shame on the senior members for not trying to get the junior members to a union meeting.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Metaphorically yes. Feeder drivers too, since they aren't really the "face" so much either. By heartbeat I mean underneath the shiny facade shield and image that UPS portrays to the public.

Again, you are making this massive leap from $10 to $36/hr. I think PT starting pay should be in the 13-14 range, which isn't anywhere near the ballpark that you are running with. Would you agree with $2-3 /hr going to PT starting wages?

Most part-timers never go driving, so I don't agree with your last point. What you said sounds more like a cop-out, when people feel the need to justify their behavior in any way possible. ;)

Start them at 15 if you keep the current pay progression in 4 years they reach driver start pay. Most hope to switch to driving within that time frame so the transition of pay is there and meanwhile everybody is making a good living. I don't think any part timer expects drivers wage and or pay progression but I do think we should negotiate something better.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
That's just an excuse. Nobody is stopping them from going to a union meeting or casting a ballot. Also shame on the senior members for not trying to get the junior members to a union meeting.

Yes it's is an excuse but not an excuse at the same time . A lot of part timers are also short lived. For some it takes years before they ever even understand what the union even is. Why doesn't the union send out welcome to the union beginners handbook or something? Part time yearly payment is like 500 they can get a handbook and get informed by the union. Unless the union just doesn't want the informed