Why The APWA Is The Right Choice

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I wonder how long it will take all these APWA supporters to figure out that pensions in general is a sinking ship all its own. It won't matter who runs it, a generous 401k match is a much better idea, but alas neither organization wants its own members to control their own destiny. I don't want UPS putting money into some giant slush fund that may or may not be there for me. Put the money into my 401k and let me decide what to do with it.
Hell Brett i could go for that too because i`m my best manager of $ !

helloitsme

Tell me hello, Is UPSF a freight company? If so why not master freight? What is so great about UPSF that their above being tied with YRC and ABF? Is it because in your mind, because UPS owns them that they are now so much better? Just how do you operate different than the rest? Maybe by not getting paid the delay time you deserve. Maybe by having to give up an hour here or an hour there. How many hours do you get paid if you are delayed 4 hours because of inclement weather? What about when you are taking hours in a hotel, how many hours do you have to sit there before they start paying you? What about work time, how much to fuel, hook to a trlr, hook a set, ect.?
UPSF comes up short in all of these categories as opposed to the NMFA. So what is so great about UPSF that they should have a seperate contract?

Yes,we are a freight company. The others are not trying to compete with FedEx globally like UPS is. If we were to go out on a Master Freight strike,it would seriously hinder service to our customers who use (now or in the future) UPS as a one stop shop for thier shipping needs. I may want representation but I am also aware of the bottom line. The customer is the one who signs our paychecks,not the company nor the union.

I mean no dis-respect to you or any other folks from these other companies. :thumbup1:

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
I wonder how long it will take all these APWA supporters to figure out that pensions in general is a sinking ship all its own. It won't matter who runs it, a generous 401k match is a much better idea, but alas neither organization wants its own members to control their own destiny. I don't want UPS putting money into some giant slush fund that may or may not be there for me. Put the money into my 401k and let me decide what to do with it.
Hey Brett we can finally agree on something:thumbup1: but no union will go for that will they ? Especially Ibt ! 401k self managed hmmm what a concept !!!!!!!!!

Dogbite56

Dogbite56
WildGoose, you talk about the double and triple pensions. Be specific in whom you are referring. It is something that has been going on since well before even Jr. Hoffa's dad was leader. I have little doubt that it goes on in most, if not all, other unions. There is also the problem of underfunded pensions. If there is that problem, it can only be the fault of the fund management, and their Boards of Directors. Not to mention the Bread and Circuses expectations of the members who vote for a 25 and out or some other irresponsible pension scheme. The actions of the managers should only be influenced by what the actuaries (CERTIFIED) tell them. I seem to recall that someone pinned some of the blame on Ron Carey. The only thing that was underfunded on his watch was the strike fund. He at least was working at getting away from the double-, triple- and more multiple- dipping that was, and is, still prevalent. Yes, it would be nice if we could get some of the guaranteed pensions that someone at the local or regional level of the union gets just for being on a committee. I shudder to think what someone at the national level gets, because I'm certain they get on that many more. But to get rid of the practice, we have to VOTE when the elections come up. It would also help if we could get some decent candidates, other than a management lawyer (Hoffa), who might have other than their own interests at heart.

brett636

Hey Brett we can finally agree on something:thumbup1: but no union will go for that will they ? Especially Ibt ! 401k self managed hmmm what a concept !!!!!!!!!

IBT, APWA, it doesn't matter. Both want control of those billions of dollars in that fund, and neither care to let you decide what to do with that money. Personally, I believe anyone working for this company with enough foresight to start saving for retirement early in their carreer could generate a healthy amount of monthly income for themselves without needing a pension. I worked with a guy at seasonal job whose main job was an inventory manager at a warehouse. I know he didn't make as much as most of our drivers and he claimed his 401k made more money each year than he did. I want to be able to say that one day. :thumbup1:

18wheelbrownie

IBT, APWA, it doesn't matter. Both want control of those billions of dollars in that fund, and neither care to let you decide what to do with that money. :
not really, the apwa will only be representing ups employees and giving ups employees better benefits with the money from ups . under the new rules of central states, pkg drs. have to wait till 65 to recieve their pension, with the apwa just 20 yrs of service at any age to recieve their pension, no strings attach. only the pkg. drs. can really decide whats best . :thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
i think the right choice is "none of the above". no union. no one telling me what is right, what is wrong, what the issues are, and for what purpose i should go on strike (god forbid). but if corporate culture on freight is the same as small package (which i hear it is not), i can't really blame freight employees for wanting collective bargaining power.

brett636

not really, the apwa will only be representing ups employees and giving ups employees better benefits with the money from ups . under the new rules of central states, pkg drs. have to wait till 65 to recieve their pension, with the apwa just 20 yrs of service at any age to recieve their pension, no strings attach. only the pkg. drs. can really decide whats best . :thumbup1:

I don't think you really read what I had to say, and I believe the retirement age is 62 not 65. You can still retire earlier than that, but u take a hit in your monthly pension payments, which may not be right, but it is reality. Maybe if those drivers had thought ahead and decided "Hey, maybe instead of blowing all this good money UPS is paying me, maybe I should save some for the future as retirment savings!". Unfortunatly most like yourself chose the latter. The holes they find themselves in is of their own digging, and they will have to pay the price. Relying on other people to keep your best interests at heart is foolish. Regardless of who or what organization is at the helm.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I don't think you really read what I had to say, and I believe the retirement age is 62 not 65. You can still retire earlier than that, but u take a hit in your monthly pension payments, which may not be right, but it is reality. Maybe if those drivers had thought ahead and decided "Hey, maybe instead of blowing all this good money UPS is paying me, maybe I should save some for the future as retirment savings!". Unfortunatly most like yourself chose the latter. The holes they find themselves in is of their own digging, and they will have to pay the price. Relying on other people to keep your best interests at heart is foolish. Regardless of who or what organization is at the helm.
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

responsibility and accountability are forbidden words to some people.

helloitsme

i think the right choice is "none of the above". no union. no one telling me what is right, what is wrong, what the issues are, and for what purpose i should go on strike (god forbid). but if corporate culture on freight is the same as small package (which i hear it is not), i can't really blame freight employees for wanting collective bargaining power.

A friend of mine said he read a statement on the management board at his barn that any package management wanting to transfer to the freight operation to put thier transfer in. I sure as hell hope they de-program them.:mad:

Teamster251

PSST Drvr Local 251 PRORI
A friend of mine said he read a statement on the management board at his barn that any package management wanting to transfer to the freight operation to put thier transfer in. I sure as hell hope they de-program them.:mad:

Don't count on them being de-programmed.
UPS Corp wants just that, for those managers to transfer and bring the managrail mentallity to UPSF.

UPS will turn UPSF into a well oiled freight machine. Count on it.

UPS will rid themselves of those obsolite Overnite managers and turn up the heat with new blood, new blood already trained in the art of motivation and squeezing every once of sweat out of you.

T251

helloitsme

Don't count on them being de-programmed.
UPS Corp wants just that, for those managers to transfer and bring the managrail mentallity to UPSF.

UPS will turn UPSF into a well oiled freight machine. Count on it.

UPS will rid themselves of those obsolite Overnite managers and turn up the heat with new blood, new blood already trained in the art of motivation and squeezing every once of sweat out of you.

T251

Those young bloods are more likely to be trained at the art of eating a ball bat off property by some old UPSF drivers that don't take squat from management ! We were in the freight business before these young snots were running down the crack of thier momma's backside. UPS parcel mgmt transferring over are in for a very rude awakening.:wink:

Buckethead

Those young bloods are more likely to be trained at the art of eating a ball bat off property by some old UPSF drivers that don't take squat from management ! We were in the freight business before these young snots were running down the crack of thier momma's backside. UPS parcel mgmt transferring over are in for a very rude awakening.:wink:

If things don't go your way you are going to counter with violence? Did you ever think these young blood might start giving you guys the pay for delay that you deserve? Maybe start making the yards a little safer to walk around or drive in for that matter? Right now these are just some of the issues that your beloved company has paid little attention to if they pay any attention at all. Right now ovnt is just interested in loosing customers, making next day lanes into 2 and 3 day lanes. If MC's customers aren't gone by now they will be soon if this keeps up. I'm sure that UPS is having second thoughts about purchasing Overnite right now. So go ahead with your plan of not taking squat from management and see how fast they will dump the Overnite wreck and get another ltl carrier that might have a chance to make them money.

hoser

Industrial Slob
yeah, but they're the manager, and the lifers are not. that's the reality.

helloitsme

If things don't go your way you are going to counter with violence? Did you ever think these young blood might start giving you guys the pay for delay that you deserve? Maybe start making the yards a little safer to walk around or drive in for that matter? Right now these are just some of the issues that your beloved company has paid little attention to if they pay any attention at all. Right now ovnt is just interested in loosing customers, making next day lanes into 2 and 3 day lanes. If MC's customers aren't gone by now they will be soon if this keeps up. I'm sure that UPS is having second thoughts about purchasing Overnite right now. So go ahead with your plan of not taking squat from management and see how fast they will dump the Overnite wreck and get another ltl carrier that might have a chance to make them money.

HAHAHA....I made that post with tongue firmly in cheek. As for ups management doing us better....we'll have to wait and see. As for the poor 2500 employees of Motor Cargo, your company was bought by Union Pacific Railroad for your facilities,equipment,and employees(trained chimps is what my regional veep refers to employees as). Not your customer base. I really doubt that UPS will dump UPSF...they will turn it into a money making enterprise no matter the carnage (turn over). Even if we were losing money(we're not) it would be a nice tax write - off for Father Brown

Buckethead

As for ups management doing us better....we'll have to wait and see.

They will do alot better than the fools at overnite.

As for the poor 2500 employees of Motor Cargo, your company was bought by Union Pacific Railroad for your facilities,equipment,and employees

This is true, I never said anything about them being bought for their customer base.

I really doubt that UPS will dump UPSF...they will turn it into a money making enterprise no matter the carnage

They WILL have to make it into a money making venture, they sure can't count on overnite to do it. They would be too busy spending millions keeping any organization attempt at bay.

helloitsme

They will do alot better than the fools at overnite.

This is true, I never said anything about them being bought for their customer base.

They WILL have to make it into a money making venture, they sure can't count on overnite to do it. They would be too busy spending millions keeping any organization attempt at bay.

Bucket...When will you folks ever learn ! THERE IS NO MORE OVERNITE ! Do I have to shout it like a third grade teacher to get folks to understand that ?! You completely missed the part where the Chief Operating Officer at UPSF was the head of the Aquisition team that arranged for the purchase of overnite and motor cargo from Union Pacific Railroad. Gordon McKenzie is merely a figurehead at this point and the title of CEO was given to him to save his legacy (of failure) in the freight business and to look good on his retirement announcement. Everything you and I gripe about is given to us by father brown. Overnite was a great place to work ,but,it is over...as in gone forever.I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Last edited: