Why the hate?

SmithBarney

No. That's loaded in the scanner.

Actually It might depend on where you are, every HD driver I see has a bundle of white paper.. either turn for turn maps, or a manifest.
saw one the other day rifling through the back of a Budget Box truck(rental) trying to find a package..
all the while with his white delivery manifest, or google map printout in his hand

STFXG

No. That's loaded in the scanner.

Actually It might depend on where you are, every HD driver I see has a bundle of white paper.. either turn for turn maps, or a manifest.
saw one the other day rifling through the back of a Budget Box truck(rental) trying to find a package..
all the while with his white delivery manifest, or google map printout in his hand

HD has turn by turn paper manifests here. The route is planned out and plotted on paper.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
TUT, How long have you been around dude? FDX Express HAS NEVER BEEN UPSs WHIPPING BOY. Working for Express 15 to 20 years ago was a killer job to have.
Mr. Purple,
If you had been around here long enough, you would know that TUT is neither a FDX employee or, a UPS employee.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
TUT, How long have you been around dude? FDX Express HAS NEVER BEEN UPSs WHIPPING BOY. Working for Express 15 to 20 years ago was a killer job to have.

I have known some express guys for years and also several ground drivers even though they seem to come and go. We are all cool with each other and I consider them work friends.

TUT its 2013 and we are in a recovery now. How much after tax profit did UPS make in 2012? How about FDX?

I talked to a very young FDX ground guy the other day and he didnt have a clue. He told me one guy owns 18 routes in his area. He makes $600.00 a week and works about 10 to 11 hours a day. THATS NO OVERTIME!
No health insurance and no 401k.

So here is this young ground guy busting his butt for a billion dollar company and just getting bent over. :wink: He will never be rewarded for his hard work at FDX.

The funny thing is I just remembered he told me his FDX bosses said UPS is going to go on strike and to tell the customers. I almost felt sorry for the dude. He was clueless about his future at FDX.

Way back when, getting a job at FedEx was like working for Apple, Microsoft or Google. It really was an excellent place to work. Those who have been here less than 15 years have no idea. Even then, it was a shadow of what it was earlier.

Now, it's just a job, and not a very good one.

HomeDelivery

ha, I guess that guy is fairly new to the game & didn't pack his rental vehicle well before he left the terminal... i'll spend less than 10 seconds to roll up that back door, pull out the box, pre-scan, close / secure door...

yeap, we get turn-by-turns, maps w/ sequenced dots in stop order, and the paper version of the delivery manifest (in case you didn't bring a spare battery & your scanner dies).

The regular drivers may just chuck the turn-by-turns once they learn their route & just go w/ maps instead. Heck, the contractors pay for them if they're printed out or not. Once I learn a route(usually by day 3), i just use the back of those papers for my kids use to draw on <shrugs>

mainegrounddriver said:
Do they have to follow it turn by turn? I think I would hate that on my route ...​

Other drivers use the turn-by-turns because the print is bigger than the print on the scanner or the delivery manifest. Most of the drivers i see are in their 50's or older & that's the reason they told me...

maps w/ the dots plotted are a quick way to see if the sequenced is "traced" well or not. with Stepvans & shelves, the driver can either follow the sequence or look at the maps and do it "his way" & go out of sequence (breaking trace) since he has room to move around.

The driver in the boxtruck/rental sometimes gets screwed time-wise if he has to "break trace" & tries to re-arrange his load to deliver it in a more efficient way... it's either spend time fighting the trace or just go w/ the flow & knock 'em out.

If i'll be working out of a rental, before I scan/load my truck ~ i'll have the lady print out my maps first & verify a good or bad trace, then pack my truck according to what I think will maximize my efficiency to maintain my SPORH.

If i get to drive a stepvan, then I just scan, load, & go

The person who plots the zones sometimes screws up & they have to be reminded that we need to "straight line" to maximize our efficiency since we're not paid by the hour...

Easiest of all 3 opcos since there's basically no time commit

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mr. Purple,
If you had been around here long enough, you would know that TUT is neither a FDX employee or, a UPS employee.

No, he isn't......he's a customer who works with computers. I think he has a secret Jones for being a courier.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Yeah,
For a person in his position (and, I'm fairly certain what TUT does does for work) I'm really surprised at how much time he spends on here too.