Why UPS is helping Palo Alto same-day delivery startup Deliv raise $28M

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
UPS, and I assume FedEx already have that service.
It's very cost prohibitive in it's current form with both companies. With a service like this they can have a contractor break to get it, put it on a commercial flight in JFK at 11AM and have it in someone's office in LA by 330. For envelopes, it really wouldn't be all that expensive.

wayfair

swollen member
It's very cost prohibitive in it's current form with both companies. With a service like this they can have a contractor break to get it, put it on a commercial flight in JFK at 11AM and have it in someone's office in LA by 330. For envelopes, it really wouldn't be all that expensive.

already brought that up

Orion inc.

I like turtles
This is an investment just like ups made in that start up "roadie" using waffle houses as meet points. Buy a few more like this and integrate them into the already existing ups network and they'll figure out how to make same day work.

It's like when they started doing OCAs for airs and grounds. Everyone said it wouldn't work in the beginning. I see ups gaining the technology and R and D from these ventures and figuring a way to cost effectively use it in its system.

This might actually mean more work as ups already pays for employees like us. Why not utilize the drivers you have in place and already have invested in? I don't see them taking on contractors and creating a separate entity. They'll want to use the ups brand and driver for something like this because they already have a public perception of dependability.

This could be just another service level like nda or early am.

Browndriver5

This is an investment just like ups made in that start up "roadie" using waffle houses as meet points. Buy a few more like this and integrate them into the already existing ups network and they'll figure out how to make same day work.

It's like when they started doing OCAs for airs and grounds. Everyone said it wouldn't work in the beginning. I see ups gaining the technology and R and D from these ventures and figuring a way to cost effectively use it in its system.

This might actually mean more work as ups already pays for employees like us. Why not utilize the drivers you have in place and already have invested in? I don't see them taking on contractors and creating a separate entity. They'll want to use the ups brand and driver for something like this because they already have a public perception of dependability.

Don't be so positive. We are the last generation of anything at UPS. lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last time I heard it was $169 for a NDA envelope through Sonic Air. Basically you are buying a seat on a plane.

bagpipes

This would be a good idea (maximizing resource utilization), but only if we have enough of a bench and enough demand... lots of question marks. However, if staffing a bench and working them reduces OT expense and the net impact of the new service works out, this could be a very good thing. But again, a lot of ifs...