Why What We Do is Skilled Labor

oldngray

nowhere special
When that old courier was young he had a $100 annual deductible on his insurance, everything else paid by the company. He had a traditional pension and real wage progression. A nice bonus system. He had jumpseating privileges as well as some incredible commercial airline discounts. His future was bright, and he saw it being slowly taken away over time while being lied to constantly. So his attitude isn't great. But that young guy coming in works in a different world and all he really sees now is an expectation to work hard with no rewards, no real perks. He soon realizes he'll never make the money the old couriers are getting and his mgr's attitude is it's good enough for him so don't complain. And word is out about FedEx now. Very few applicants are the same quality workers of times past and the few who are leave quickly. I set up guys with 25 stops in a fairly condensed area with a good map and they didn't get back to the building until 1500-1600. It was absolutely pathetic and the mgrs were so desperate to hang on to part-timers that they said very little. We had so much turnover of young part-timers at one station that I'd get the FedEx Office pup dumped on me after running a heavy extended route all day while part-timers were heading back to the station. Why? It was Friday night and they all bitched about working late and having to work Saturday too. Most of those newhires aren't just like us only they haven't honed their skills yet. They are Walmart McJobbers who are thrilled to make $15hr because they never thought they would but don't have the wherewithal to perform at the level the company demands. That's what the company is trying to overcome with DRA because they don't want to pay for quality.

I have a cousin (in Texas) who started working for FedEx back when I started working for UPS. He loved his job and I envied him for a lot of the benefits he got and how he was treated. Its a different world today at every company.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I have a cousin (in Texas) who started working for FedEx back when I started working for UPS. He loved his job and I envied him for a lot of the benefits he got and how he was treated. Its a different world today at every company.
Yes, it's like I've said in the past, waaay back when I started (early 80s), UPSers were jumping ship like crazy coming over to Purple (never the other way around). Oh how times have changed.

dezguy

Yes, it's like I've said in the past, waaay back when I started (early 80s), UPSers were jumping ship like crazy coming over to Purple (never the other way around). Oh how times have changed.

Half the old blood at my sta are guys who jumped ship from UPS and Purolator. Today, ask anyone at UPS or Purolator if they would consider moving over to FedEx and they laugh at you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Not every company, but FedEx is definitely not Federal Express.

Serf

You're confusing skill with experience, mastery, and work ethic.
Preach it brother.

For anyone who forgot: Unskilled labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities or skills. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category. (As per the Department of Labor).

This debate is good fun though.