Why wont UPS paint freight trucks?

wornoutupser

In my area UPS Freight trucks are still Overnight colors or plain white. I am in Central Florida.
Why wont UPS paint the trucks with the new color scheme? It has been long enough and there are still Overnight paint schemes out there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my area UPS Freight trucks are still Overnight colors or plain white. I am in Central Florida.
Why wont UPS paint the trucks with the new color scheme? It has been long enough and there are still Overnight paint schemes out there.

That's an easy one to answer ... heard anything about the economy lately?
Painting those tractors is totally discretionary in nature and discretionary expenses have been cut at UPS in the last year.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Same here, I seldom see a UPSF tractor painted in the new scheme. They pay a local body shop $500 to paint package cars, I guess they don't want to spend that much to advertise the fleet.

wornoutupser

It seems to me that after this much time that some painting would be done to let the public be more aware about our new freight operation.
The eonomy may not be the best right now but we can still give level 20 and up managers their bonus.
Lets use that money to advertise our new product!

City Driver

we have about 15 nice newer volvos that are brown and say UPS Freight on the top faring

all of our older ones still are gray and blue or a combination of gray and blue and still say Overnite on the top

we also have what we call a hat trick which is when u have a ups freight tractor, 1 overnite pup and 1 motor cargo pup....its kinda funny lookin

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
they try to have at lelast one new piece of equipment on each...pull?

either a new cab and old trailer, or old cab and new trailer....

or old cab, one old overnight pup, and one UPS freight pup...etc.

and the answer is money....easiest way to make budget, skimp on the painting. they have a goal of 2011 (i think). Most of that overnight stuff is being replaced, not painted.

City Driver

9/10 of the overnite pups are junk, dont have deck walls either...the floors are damaged, the side skid panels are cracked and peeling, the doors barely roll and the plate where the on the floor of the rear are all peeling up...

the old motor cargo pups are even nicer and they all got deck walls

raceanoncr

they try to have at lelast one new piece of equipment on each...pull?

either a new cab and old trailer, or old cab and new trailer....

or old cab, one old overnight pup, and one UPS freight pup...etc.

If you're asking a question, the answer is NO! If you are stating, what you consider to be facts, the answer is still NO!

Sorry, but nobody on the local freight side or the parcel side for that matter, is smart enough to fill the primary spots with matching, mixed or painted equipment going the same direction, headed for the same destination or other spots, pulled by the same driver or handed off to a relay driver.

You get what you have in the lot. If you're a small terminal and equipment is short, you don't have the luxory of just picking out matching equipment to send with the nicest driver or to make the best PR statement.

Hell, I'll bet most of the Motor Cargo trailers still have expired license plates! True or false? It was true just a few months ago.

Same with parcel side. You pull what shifters put in the door to load. Sometimes someone upstairs sees a ratty trailer sitting MT out in the yard and wants to get rid of it. "Mr. Brainiac" tells the shifter to put that in door XX headed for XXXXXXX, we'll get rid of it and never see it again. Mission accomplished. Three days later, guess what's heading in our gate?

No, maybe on paper there is a plan, but in the real world, it ain't hapnin!

City Driver

Same with parcel side. You pull what shifters put in the door to load. Sometimes someone upstairs sees a ratty trailer sitting MT out in the yard and wants to get rid of it. "Mr. Brainiac" tells the shifter to put that in door XX headed for XXXXXXX, we'll get rid of it and never see it again. Mission accomplished. Three days later, guess what's heading in our gate?

hahahahaha this happens here all the time, once in particular we had an old overnite pup, there was nothing right with this pup......half of the roof was duct tape, there was holes in the floor, the side skid panels were peeling, the header board was cracked and that trailer had chronic brake problems

we kept sending it to different terminals and they would send it right back the very next day

That's an easy one to answer ... heard anything about the economy lately?
Painting those tractors is totally discretionary in nature and discretionary expenses have been cut at UPS in the last year.

Hoax, Come on now! When we changed our logo in '03 was changing the logo discretionary in nature and, as for the economy, how about the 3 yrs prior. We have owned Overnite for 4 yrs. Certainly someone must have a plan so UPS Freight doesn't continue to look like a third world freight company out on the road. I think Tieguy is in feeders...do you think he would put equipment looking like this stuff out on the road to represent UPS?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, Come on now! When we changed our logo in '03 was changing the logo discretionary in nature and, as for the economy, how about the 3 yrs prior. We have owned Overnite for 4 yrs. Certainly someone must have a plan so UPS Freight doesn't continue to look like a third world freight company out on the road. I think Tieguy is in feeders...do you think he would put equipment looking like this stuff out on the road to represent UPS?

We did paint some of the Overnight trailers but one concern is, "Why paint trailers that UPS has not decided to keep or sale and buy new ones in better shape and that can be used in UPS or UPSF?
Remember, One UPS ... One Company.

And if that was all the equipment Tie had, Yes he would.
Notice how some of the TOFCs look?

raceanoncr

but one concern is, "Why paint trailers that UPS has not decided to keep or sale and buy new ones in better shape and that can be used in UPS or UPSF?

Now that's funny!!!!:rofl: The district I'm in evidently didn't get the memo.

When the rebranding was the hot button a few years ago, all of our tractors had to be done YESTERDAY!!!!! Three months later, 5 were on the ADA fence.

Hmmm....how much did THAT cost?