Why would a ups driver tell me not to switch over from express

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Slick silver, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Slick silver

Slick silver Active Member

I was a friendly conversation with a ups driver at a pup stop they we were both at waiting to finish up at. I asked him if they were still hiring off the street at his location and he said yes. I was alright I talk to someone down there and put a application in online. I was suprised that he told me to stay away and not to do it. I know management is always a issue especially since being at express.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  2. sandwich

sandwich Active Member

He sounds bitter and complacent. It kind of runs rampant around here with the excessive forced over time due to understaffing. But I wouldn't listen to him. If you Dont mind working long hours do it!
  3. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Ask yourself if your happiness can be bought. If it can than UPS welcomes you with open arms.
  4. Slick silver

I'm really thinking about it because both of my friends are both drivers there and also are at the same location. As you can figure, they are already making a lot of money.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  5. Indecisi0n

There is plenty of money to be made here but it comes at a cost. Also depends on the center as well.
  6. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Get treated like garbage but pull in close to 100k/year or get treated like garbage and paid significantly less while not seeing top out until your 3rd decade with the company. Seems like a no brainer to me.
  7. Slick silver

Forgot to add that they were both package handlers for more then 10years. My question would be then would I have to go there driving school and classes or could I jump right in to a route.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

If you are lucky enough to get hired perm driver off the street, then you would be put on the bottom of the list, and would have to put in your time covering routes before you get your own. That time depends on your location, but would be at least several years.
  9. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

I would almost bet you'd be going to THEIR driving school. UPS (and FedEx) both have their own way of doing things.
  10. Indecisi0n

Like those belts you see beside the seats. They go across your chest.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Talk to Ground about that.

Oh, and that door behind your seat needs to be locked while you're feeding your face at the lunch diner.
  12. Slick silver

If I did it and got hired in, it would be kind of ironic. Basically starting at the bottom at ground, moving to express and then ending at ups. Plus since I'm a swing driver I think I could do it. That was one of the points the ups guy told me was. He said that I would to call in to see if I could work that day.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  13. I Am Jacks Damaged Box

I Am Jacks Damaged Box Well-Known Member

Always trading up, very smart!
  14. The grass isn't always greener,but the paycheck is.
  15. STFXG

STFXG Well-Known Member

Then become a contractor/ISP. Top of the food chain!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

Agreed. Only way you can get e decent paycheck at fedex is by leaving.
  17. ChickenLegs

ChickenLegs Safety Expert

Is a pup stop a trailer swap / relay turnaround?
  18. hypo hanna

hypo hanna Well-Known Member

Pup = pickup stop