Why your Amazon Prime addiction is bad for UPS

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The problem is that most Americans are lazy and love the convenience of being able to go straight to Amazon for almost everything. And thinks they are always cheaper. These are the same people that think EVERYTHING is a good deal on Black Friday and blindly buy things.
True ...and to think some of amazons best selling items are paper towels, tp, diapers, and :censored2:s....some real solid winners there... Great foundation for their company

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many Amazon threads can we post in a matter of a week?

We get it Amazon thinks they can destroy 2 shipping company's who have been in the buisness years longer and have through some true trials and tribulations.

If FedEx and ups made it through the recession I highly doubt Amazon assuming it ship better and faster will hardly matter
But it does concern me when money whore Walmart is worried about loosing money to amazon man

dragracer66

I find it funny that Amazon wants to buy jets. Where would they land them and who would load and unload them? I think all this chatter from them about jets and a logistics network is supposed to scare parcel into lowering prices for them. They would need to hire tens of thousands of people just to compete. I say let them do it and fail. They will be back just like Fingerhut and Gateway did to us in the early 90's when they switched to Fred Ex. Fingerhut only lasted 3 months with them.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I find it funny that Amazon wants to buy jets. Where would they land them and who would load and unload them? I think all this chatter from them about jets and a logistics network is supposed to scare parcel into lowering prices for them. They would need to hire tens of thousands of people just to compete. I say let them do it and fail. They will be back just like Fingerhut and Gateway did to us in the early 90's when they switched to Fred Ex. Fingerhut only lasted 3 months with them.....

Wilmington OH

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS was a victim of their own arrogance during the formation of both FedEx Express and RPS. That arrogance was why they weren't paying attention. And now they are blinded by quarterly stock performance. Just like when RPS was bought by FedEx. When will corporate ever learn?
Was that about the same arrogance time when ups told customers if they didn't like ups service they could turn in their rubber stamp and go to the post office... Or was it when bd was visiting customers in their high end Mercedes and bmw's and telling customers that their rates were going up as they drive off retracting their tops to their super cars...customers noticed.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Figure 2.5 billion for the 20 767s (Aircraft manufacturers heavily discount their aircraft), 767 engines are practically being given away right now, so they can probably get 40 plus another 2-3 spares for around 200 million, another 5-10 million to gain an operating certificate. For 20 aircraft you're going to need a large spares department. Throw another 10-15 million on that. Pilot training another 5 million.

Just to get the planes on property is around a 2.7-2.8 billion dollar expense. That doesn't even factor in the infrastructure needed. Now I'm not saying they aren't going to do it. But to do it on the scale being discussed, we are talking about a massive cost undertaking. They have 14 Billion cash on hand so they can do it pretty easily. But will the shareholders accept another business undertaking while receiving little in return? I'm skeptical.
Come on man...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They're going to need heavy package density to be profitable too. Amazon actually is starting to show signs of struggling in the e-commerce sector. They're not as cheap anymore and their customer service isn't what it used to be.

They've got issues just like we do. Except Amazon is trying to spread and conquer too many industries while letting their core business start to slip in quality.
The dude is building rockets and wants to do space crap... I really doubt he cares about anything slipping.... He is nuts

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I forbid my wife from renewing the prime membership and using Amazon. They are bad for the future of our company and the teamsters. They bash us all the time and their owner is a lunatic who wants to take over the world. Ups would be better off not shipping another product of theirs and Fedex would be smart to do the same. Amazon will be a very big monopoly soon.
ask someone what happen during a previous contract negotiations with Amazon what happen when they wanted a certain pricing and ups said no... And this happen many years ago... They are much larger now

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why doesn't UPS start its own online store? It would be easier to go that route with an established delivery service than going the route Amazon wants to go.
Ups has put money into a company that has been started by a former eBay employee... Sounds like they might be moving in that direction ghost recon...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Amazon has been on a hunt for knowledge that it could use to build its own shipping network and cut UPS out of the loop. It’s been gleaning data, although the shipping company lately has grown reluctant to share detailed routing information. Amazon also has been on a hiring spree, scooping up more than 40 people in managerial or supervisory positions at UPS, including one veteran executive with 16 years at the company.
Did they hire the Orion team?...Sell! Sell! Sell!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The dude is on acid
I get paid. I don't volunteer for :censored2:e.
That's right gangster....

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
And just to let everybody know they auto charge you for prime every year after the previous year is up... This I did not know
Cancel your membership and you then are refunded a prorated amount based on how far into your year membership you are. It's really that simple.

Returntosender

They plan to lease the jets.
It launched a pilot of the service in Wilmington, Ohio, where Air Transport Services Group, or ATSG, has been managing airfreight on Amazon's behalf, according to The Seattle Times.

The activity in Wilmington caught the attention of Vice's Motherboard, which learned that ATSG had moved into the Wilmington Air Park under contract with an unnamed company, it reported last month. That company was shipping freight to Allentown, Pennsylvania; Ontario and Oakland, California; and Tampa, Florida. http://motherboard.vice.com/read/amazon-is-expanding-its-secretive-air-cargo-operation

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/amazon-is-expanding-its-secretive-air-cargo-operation

Aerosmith figures to be very profitable for the struggling LVIA, which hired 60 full-time workers to handle what's grown to five cargo flights a day out of the airport in Hanover Township, Lehigh County. LVIA officials say the air cargo program, which started there in September, could net the airport more than $1 million next year.

Formerly known as Airborne Express, Air Transport has the world's largest fleet of converted Boeing 767 cargo jets. The company, through its subsidiary ABX Air, signed a deal with LVIA in September to fly cargo jets into the Lehigh Valley to deliver and pick up consumer goods. In September, ABX spokesman Paul Cunningham said the cargo was coming from a single client, but he declined to reveal the client.

http://www.mcall.com/business/mc-amazon-cargo-lvia-20151223-story.html

Returntosender

Do you know how much profit it's going to take to run an airline?
No I don't know much profit its take to run an airline. Amazon must of figure that out, and they must real confident, they can make it work cause they moving to into the air cargo business.

What makes it interesting is at first Amazon was testing their aircargo only in the US. Now Amazon is flying the product in the EU.
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) has been conducting secret trial flights that have carried thousands of packages to and from its fulfillment centers in the United Kingdom. Evening Standard reports that the tech-giant has chartered a Boeing 737 aircraft, which has been flying on routes between Poland, Germany, and England since mid-November.

The online-retail giant has reportedly chartered the aircraft from DB Schenker, a German logistics company. Five weekly flights have been determined so far, on which the planes travel first from Katowice, Poland to Kassel, Germany. Katowice and Kassel are both significant stops, as the airports in these towns are within close proximity of the e-commerce giant’s huge warehouses in the two countries, respectively. http://www.bidnessetc.com/60017-amazon-is-secretly-testing-air-cargo-operations-in-the-uk/