Wild speculation

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It costs a lot of money to hire a new driver. They send them to school for a week and pay them. Then they baby them and give them a 6 hour dispatch.
Plus all the safety time them pay them.
You know that's what cracked me up about too much OT during peak.

It was the seasonals going out with 5/6 planned days and working 10-11 hours. Lol

rod

Retired 22 years
It costs a lot of money to hire a new driver. They send them to school for a week and pay them. Then they baby them and give them a 6 hour dispatch.
Plus all the safety time them pay them.

I won't argue that they invest a lot of $$$ in training a new driver. My point was that they will have a whole bunch of trained drivers they won't call in. This whole hiring/laying off thing is puzzling? We have two different threads going at the same time. One about all the new people being trained and one about centers laying off 40+ drivers. What's up with that????

I think we are going to take on more Amazon after the good peak season we had and then I bet we are getting close to securing some big accounts. I haven't heard anything from the management side, but I know our HR guy has been on a hiring spree lately...
hqdefault.jpg

I won't argue that they invest a lot of $$$ in training a new driver. My point was that they will have a whole bunch of trained drivers they won't call in. This whole hiring/laying off thing is puzzling? We have two different threads going at the same time. One about all the new people being trained and one about centers laying off 40+ drivers. What's up with that????
I haven't a clue.

Brownslave688

That's kind of the point here. Speculate why you think it is.

If there's one thing ups doesn't do is just spend money to spend money.

Not to mention like I said I know of drivers at multiple centers who have asked what's up and HR has given them all the same answer.

"Something big is happening this year. That's all I can say"

oldngray

nowhere special
That's kind of the point here. Speculate why you think it is.

If there's one thing ups doesn't do is just spend money to spend money.

Not to mention like I said I know of drivers at multiple centers who have asked what's up and HR has given them all the same answer.

"Something big is happening this year. That's all I can say"

Same day delivery (maybe for Amazon)?

rod

Retired 22 years
Same day delivery (maybe for Amazon)?

Same Day for Amazon as far as I know involves Amazon using their own trucks to deliver your order from their warehouse to a locked box near you that you are given a code to open. As far as I know it isn't to your door--you have to drive to a mall or something like that where they have these lockers. I could be wrong---(usually am)

livin the dream

I'd say same day delivery would be crazy expensive when you look at how much next day is already. if people would be willing to pay even more for same day, it could be profitable. but that's just my guess. I know flying a plane isn't cheap

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS doesn't want the low profit residential ground packages. They want air and international or anything else that would be high revenue.

Brownslave688

UPS doesn't want the low profit residential ground packages. They want air and international or anything else that would be high revenue.
I know upstate has been all about a teired pay scale.

What about a lower pay scale for drivers that do nothing but deliver resi all day?

Ups home delivery or something like that.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know upstate has been all about a teired pay scale.

What about a lower pay scale for drivers that do nothing but deliver resi all day?

I don't see how UPS could do that without it being in the contract. Part timers to deliver resi ground would be like the trash that other couriers sometimes use.