Will Amazon Fire UPS Over Christmas Catastrophe?

Just Lurking

Regional carriers like OnTrac and Lasership. Go to Amazon forum boards and read the complaints.

- Joe delivered in old beat up car. My wife was a afraid to open the door.

- Package was delivered 2 days after OnTrac tracking showed it delivered.

- Package was delivered at 2am in the morning. Yes 2am in the morning.

- Please Amazon. Don't just reship missing package from Lasership through UPS/FDX. Use UPS/FDX from the start. Preferable UPS.

Complaints may not change who they ship short term. Long term complaints will like that will. Regional carriers are not a long term option.

A

anonymous6

I would do the same if I were Amazon. they don't want to keep all their eggs in one or two baskets.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Infrastructure ruins on technology. It's not built by it.
True, but if UPS were to be rebuilt from scratch
Regional carriers like OnTrac and Lasership. Go to Amazon forum boards and read the complaints.

- Joe delivered in old beat up car. My wife was a afraid to open the door.

- Package was delivered 2 days after OnTrac tracking showed it delivered.

- Package was delivered at 2am in the morning. Yes 2am in the morning.

- Please Amazon. Don't just reship missing package from Lasership through UPS/FDX. Use UPS/FDX from the start. Preferable UPS.

Complaints may not change who they ship short term. Long term complaints will like that will. Regional carriers are not a long term option.
Sounds like the comments on the UPS Facebook page.

40andOut

Regional carriers generally target business to business shipments to ensure multiple package deliveries; thus increasing efficiency. Amazon is business to residential. Not only would it be a logistical nightmare for Amazon to deal with a myriad of regional carriers, but the regional carriers would have a extremely difficult time making any profit on the low-margin, low density volume Amazon offers.

JL 0513

Amazon couldn't afford to build UPS from scratch.

UPS couldn't afford to build UPS from scratch.

Good points

It would be just about impossible for any entity to come along and build from scratch a UPS as it stands today.

Just like no one could build a car company from scratch and quickly rival the size of GM or Toyota.

The only company with enough cash on hand to ever have a possible shot at building a UPS or Amazon from scratch is Apple (about $120 billion). Apple just hoards all their cash which is why their products barely set any new standards. Very little reinvestment. Bit of a tangent, sorry.

purplesky

On Christmas, many boys and girls on the nice list failed to receive their presents due to a high volume of orders that United Parcel Service (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) didn’t have the ability to handle. That incident has resulted in lots of online backlash, Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) issuing apologies and $20 gift cards to the affected parties, and speculation that companies like Amazon will soon take delivery into their own hands to avoid future Christmas catastrophes

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/will-amazon-fire-ups-over-christmas-catastrophe.html/?a=viewall

Amazon and UPS are longtime business partners . Amazons rapid growth WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE WITHOUT UPS. DO THE MATH. (before you young guys mouth off UPS WAS HUGE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN).:wink2:

Jeff Bezos just said himself on 60 minutes that Amazon will not be around forever. WHY? He is a smart guy and the founder of Amazon?

This whole media driven "UPS SUCKS FRENZY" is a joke.

AMAZON KNEW EXACTLY HOW MANY UPS TRAILERS THEY WERE GETTING FOR THE LAST DAYS OF XMAS PEAK AND THEY KNEW THE EXACT CAPACITY FOR THE UPS/AMAZON SYSTEM. :wink-very:

They took orders up to the last minute knowing that those packages would not be delivered by XMAS.

There are many other shippers like Costco and BH video and best buy,etc, that also slammed the system.

I think its funny that people actually think Amazon is going to start a delivery company to compete with UPS. Maybe they can bring DHL back.:funny:

40andOut

Rated by a magazine and actual value are two different things.

How many times is UPS rated "most admired" by whatever magazine that is?
Most admired by people who don't work there.

Agreed.
However, if you measure in sales Amazon (61B) beats UPS (54B) And Amazon will top 75B for 2013
If you measure in Assets Amazon (32B) is slightly smaller than UPS (38B)
If you measure in profits UPS crushes Amazon's net loss.
But Amazon is all about growth at this stage (a staggering $100B in projected sales for 2014)
Amazon's average 5 year growth rate (38%) surpasses Google, Intel, Oracle, and Microsoft.
They will soon dwarf UPS, with double our annual sales in 2014 and continuing to grow rapidly.
http://247wallst.com/retail/2013/12/29/amazon-could-reach-100-billion-revenue-in-2014/

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I think when you look at the situation from afar you realize how much of a synergistic relationship this is. One is BEST with the other. Everything was hunky dory prior to our peak fiasco. So, the problem is entirely the planning and managers associated with Peak. I think it's foolish to even consider moving forward with any of the executives who put this year's peak plan together. We need to simply go back to kicking @ss in our browns, and have the support of management behind us hourlies to seek our input and listen to our concerns as the "team" we were in the 80's and 90's. This whole concept of Corporate running things from Atlanta has proven inept and irresponsible. It pisses me off that we have the best work force in our field, yet our leadership at the very top is so d@mn inconsiderate of our culture and tradition of service. Put service and hustle first, and the profits will roll in abundantly.

JL 0513

I don't know about that.
Amazon is rated the #33 Most Valuable Brand by Forbes...UPS #47

http://www.forbes.com/powerful-brands/#page:4_sort:0_direction:asc_search:
Agreed.
However, if you measure in sales Amazon (61B) beats UPS (54B) And Amazon will top 75B for 2013
If you measure in Assets Amazon (32B) is slightly smaller than UPS (38B)
If you measure in profits UPS crushes Amazon's net loss.
But Amazon is all about growth at this stage (a staggering $100B in projected sales for 2014)
Amazon's average 5 year growth rate (38%) surpasses Google, Intel, Oracle, and Microsoft.
They will soon dwarf UPS, with double our annual sales in 2014 and continuing to grow rapidly.
http://247wallst.com/retail/2013/12/29/amazon-could-reach-100-billion-revenue-in-2014/

In the world of business, Amazon is a strange animal. Growing really quickly, huge market value, high stock price, and yet when it comes to profit, they are at a loss.

Think about something. Why are they so successful? Because they are able to undercut almost everyone else's prices and they take a hit on shipping costs as well. All in the name of growth. Well, they can't do this forever. So what happens when they eventually need to start making real money? Their prices will have to be raised to more realistic market prices and charge more for shipping. Thus stalling further growth, or greatly slowing it down. All this growth is based on unsustainable business practices.

M

MenInBrown

We will know its close when management gets cut in half and u have one sup per center.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think when you look at the situation from afar you realize how much of a synergistic relationship this is. One is BEST with the other. Everything was hunky dory prior to our peak fiasco. So, the problem is entirely the planning and managers associated with Peak. I think it's foolish to even consider moving forward with any of the executives who put this year's peak plan together. We need to simply go back to kicking @ss in our browns, and have the support of management behind us hourlies to seek our input and listen to our concerns as the "team" we were in the 80's and 90's. This whole concept of Corporate running things from Atlanta has proven inept and irresponsible. It pisses me off that we have the best work force in our field, yet our leadership at the very top is so d@mn inconsiderate of our culture and tradition of service. Put service and hustle first, and the profits will roll in abundantly.
There is zero chance of this happening. All the old guys need to get over "the good old days". They are gone and ain't coming back.

bbsam

Staff member
In the world of business, Amazon is a strange animal. Growing really quickly, huge market value, high stock price, and yet when it comes to profit, they are at a loss.

Think about something. Why are they so successful? Because they are able to undercut almost everyone else's prices and they take a hit on shipping costs as well. All in the name of growth. Well, they can't do this forever. So what happens when they eventually need to start making real money? Their prices will have to be raised to more realistic market prices and charge more for shipping. Thus stalling further growth, or greatly slowing it down. All this growth is based on unsustainable business practices.
It's only unsustainable if they can't kill off the competition (or at least much of the competition). If they can do that, they are free to start raising prices on selective items. Think of it like Walgreens or convenience stores. They get you in with cheap gas and gouge you on other items...and everybody knows it and everybody goes along for the sake of the convenience.

Ouch

People are sitting around that have never bought anything from amazon, going wow are they really that cheap? I really dont think it matters that all the deliveries didnt get made. Their is not a single company out there that could have gotten that done. I guarantee you that the public will do the same thing next year. The majority of people are concerned with saving money, they dont care if it gets here on time as much as they are getting the refund or gift card for the failure. I would love to see how many people have already used their $20 gift card to purchase something else from amazon. I assure you the failed Christmas deliveries will not affect them the way the few people may think. People seem to be more concerned with saving money or getting something for free. Its funny the interviews I saw from the media were just from like 3 people. They ran the same 3 interviews over and over.

TheDick

Exclusivity is not gonna happen. Not then not now. And the following is true, those MBA's and facebook kids brown hired to run operations are all on the fastrack to stardom, much to UPS's ruin.

There is zero chance of this happening. All the old guys need to get over "the good old days". They are gone and ain't coming back.