Will an accident keep me from a driver position at UPS?

Jonathan Ross

Greetings UPSers!
I've been really looking hard at applying to be a delivery driver at UPS.
However, I have a question about my ability to be hired at UPS.
About 3 years ago, I was involved in a single-car (my car) accident, that totaled my car. I was avoiding a reckless driver that cut me off and ended up scraping the life out of my car on the guard-rail...enough to apparently total the car.
No police came, and no report was filed. My car was towed away, and that was that...however, I obviously have a claim on record for it.
I also have a speeding ticket from 5 years ago with no points.

Will these two things disqualify me from a position with UPS? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Last edited:

upsman2940

You can not have an accident on your record within the year prior to you being hired!! You also can't make a claim against your insurance involving an accident even if the cops weren't called. The company now asks for a 3 yr mvr and your insurance information.

OptimusPrime

You can not have an accident on your record within the year prior to you being hired!! You also can't make a claim against your insurance involving an accident even if the cops weren't called. The company now asks for a 3 yr mvr and your insurance information.

Says who? While it's better to file a police report, especially if the insurance company later doubts what you say, it's not required to file a claim. Maybe if you have some cut rate "one too many DUI's" type provider maybe, but not with mine.

upsman2940

We just had a guy that was going full time and on the application it stated list all accidents in the past year! His driving record listed a claim and they inquired about it. Sure enough he was in an accident that wasnt reported to the cops. And he didn't list it on his app. They fired him for dishonesty. He got his job back at local but his disqualification is going to the panel! The states accidents show a tendency to be unsafe!