Will Fred Use Layoffs as a Bargaining Chip?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm guessing Smith will use "No Layoffs" as a post-peak hedge against the upcoming union threat. Although not laying-off in slow times isn't FedEx policy, it is an integral part of the P-S-P philosophy that FedEx Express has trumpeted since the company was formed back in 1973.

This begs the question that is the title of this post....will Fred "promise" not to layoff in return for us not going union on him? In view of the fact that he's broken nearly every other promise made to hourlies, such a pledge would obviously be met with a healthy dose of skepticism by the masses. On the other hand, it would be nice to see everyone still have a job during increasingly trying times. I strongly suspect that Smith will cull the ranks by further slashing hours so no full-timers break 35, and no part-timers go over 17.5, thereby preserving the no layoff "policy".

I really think he deserves a union, but a weak economy will give FedEx ample opportunity to heap anti-union rhetoric upon us, up to and including threatening to slash jobs if we do go Teamster. And if we did go union, I think Smith would ditch P-S-P in a heartbeat,even though it hasn't really meant anything over the last 10 years. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Channahon

If FedEx will cut hours for friend/T and P/T hourlies and keeps the employees, rather than lay off, well that would work out well for everyone. May not have overtime, but still have a paycheck at the end of the week.

As far as the Union attempt, the Teamsters have already asked Obama (the day after his election) to have the Labor Dept rewrite the laws and procedure for unionizing an operation. I would have posted the article, as I found it interesting, but cannot find it anywhere. It was one of many that were online after Obama won.

The Teamsters supported Obama during the campaign, and stated they gave a ton of money to his political campaign, and it's pay back time was the gist of the article.

Time will tell what will happen.

FedEx All the Way!

I'm guessing Smith will use "No Layoffs" as a post-peak hedge against the upcoming union threat. Although not laying-off in slow times isn't FedEx policy, it is an integral part of the P-S-P philosophy that FedEx Express has trumpeted since the company was formed back in 1973.

This begs the question that is the title of this post....will Fred "promise" not to layoff in return for us not going union on him? In view of the fact that he's broken nearly every other promise made to hourlies, such a pledge would obviously be met with a healthy dose of skepticism by the masses. On the other hand, it would be nice to see everyone still have a job during increasingly trying times. I strongly suspect that Smith will cull the ranks by further slashing hours so no full-timers break 35, and no part-timers go over 17.5, thereby preserving the no layoff "policy".

I really think he deserves a union, but a weak economy will give FedEx ample opportunity to heap anti-union rhetoric upon us, up to and including threatening to slash jobs if we do go Teamster. And if we did go union, I think Smith would ditch P-S-P in a heartbeat,even though it hasn't really meant anything over the last 10 years. Any thoughts?

Keep dreaming Teamster wannabe's! Union at FedEx EXPRESS will never happen; not for the couriers, hub personnel, A/C Maint and GSE.

I love seeing the union thugs spend their much needed cash on a lost cause. Better stick to loading up the strike fund for the next UPS strike!

The "no layoff" policy is PRICELESS now more than ever! Only schmucks would want a union at FedEx especially during tough times like this.

FedEx All the Way!

Look at Detroit. Another golden goose killed of by union rats. At least one of the Big Three will not survive. When will they ever learn???
They will be setting up picket lines in front of abandoned buildings.
Way To Go!!! :dance:

david cassin

dublinbrown
no only people who dont want the likes of fred and his kind trampling all over the worker with their big corporate hands.either your a manager getting a huge bonus or someone who thinks the sun shines from freds behind,,he like some of my managers in europe don't give 2 hoots about the ordinary worker once they get their nice xmas cheque.without a union here in ireland as an example we would be like sheep.i have worked for 20 years for ups and let me tell you they would walk over you,we have had improvements because of the union not ups..the men/women of fedex will join you wait and see,freds promises can only go on for a certain time.
now that obama is in its curtains for mr smith..
:happy-very:

david cassin

dublinbrown
look whats happenming with your "subcontractors"
power to the people...they will talk with the feet and they did with their voting power..:happy-very:
schmuks i don't think so ....no the ordinary folk getting whats right for him and her so that fred can't lay them off with the bare minimum goodbye payout..
people aren't stupid anymore..the can see through fred.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
no only people who dont want the likes of fred and his kind trampling all over the worker with their big corporate hands.either your a manager getting a huge bonus or someone who thinks the sun shines from freds behind,,he like some of my managers in europe don't give 2 hoots about the ordinary worker once they get their nice xmas cheque.without a union here in ireland as an example we would be like sheep.i have worked for 20 years for ups and let me tell you they would walk over you,we have had improvements because of the union not ups..the men/women of fedex will join you wait and see,freds promises can only go on for a certain time.
now that obama is in its curtains for mr smith..
:happy-very:

Thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with how FedEx is set-up in Europe. I know they had a big pullout in the UK a few years back, and probably screwed-over everyone who had worked for them. Are the current drivers owner/operators, or company drivers, and how are they treated? I suspect you encounter them often, and probably know how much they like/dislike FedEx and Smith.

FedEx All the Way!

look whats happenming with your "subcontractors"
power to the people...they will talk with the feet and they did with their voting power..:happy-very:
schmuks i don't think so ....no the ordinary folk getting whats right for him and her so that fred can't lay them off with the bare minimum goodbye payout..
people aren't stupid anymore..the can see through fred.

First off, how the hell do you expect to be unionized? And IF you had a sliver of a chance, don't you think Fred already has the contingency plan in a locked draw? You bet he does! You will be out the door quicker than you can say "holy @#$%; I'm out on my ass and out of work"!!!

2nd, let's not forget, when we discuss unions, many people think of the Express division. A union will never happen and those schmucky, high paid AC maint jerks who cry all day about not being paid enough will be sucking their thumbs on the E-line soon.

Locations like Newark would farm out the MX work and get rid of the teamster @#$% heads...

Keep dreaming boys, keep dreaming! :peaceful:

david cassin

dublinbrown
honestly i think fred does have a plan up his sleeve,i'd say the teamsters will go location by location maybe getting small amounts of members in and with the world economy the way it is people may feel safer with unions backing or even behind them.i seen it here in ireland one of our late managers said the faithful words over my dead body will a union be in ups ireland.he was very anti union but we got it in (i am the treasurer of our branch) and have been with our union since day one 11 years ago.
we work well with the management although not always getting all our own way i would rather it now than the 20 plus years ago when i started..:happy-very:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If FedEx will cut hours for friend/T and P/T hourlies and keeps the employees, rather than lay off, well that would work out well for everyone. May not have overtime, but still have a paycheck at the end of the week.

As far as the Union attempt, the Teamsters have already asked Obama (the day after his election) to have the Labor Dept rewrite the laws and procedure for unionizing an operation. I would have posted the article, as I found it interesting, but cannot find it anywhere. It was one of many that were online after Obama won.

The Teamsters supported Obama during the campaign, and stated they gave a ton of money to his political campaign, and it's pay back time was the gist of the article.

Time will tell what will happen.

We need a union badly, but with the current economy Fred would most definitely retaliate with layoffs. I personally think it will be difficult to work out any sort of compromise with FedEx management. If we do go union, the senior people will reap the benefits and the junior workers will be cut loose based on seniority. If we choose to stay non-union for the time being, I'm guessing nobody will be laid-off and we'll be working our minimums. Perhaps the Teamsters will wait until the economy strengthens before pushing their agenda. We've waited a long time for this, and now the sour economy gives Smith leverage he wouldn't have otherwise...go figure.

FedExer267

We need a union badly, but with the current economy Fred would most definitely retaliate with layoffs. I personally think it will be difficult to work out any sort of compromise with FedEx management. If we do go union, the senior people will reap the benefits and the junior workers will be cut loose based on seniority. If we choose to stay non-union for the time being, I'm guessing nobody will be laid-off and we'll be working our minimums. Perhaps the Teamsters will wait until the economy strengthens before pushing their agenda. We've waited a long time for this, and now the sour economy gives Smith leverage he wouldn't have otherwise...go figure.
Its just a matter of time before it does happen and Fed Ex will be unionized. When it does happen sure there might be layoffs for slower routes but they will not hire new people to do our job. They will need to be union when they are hired. You cannot have a non union member working in a union shop look at ups the first thing they do is go sign up it will be much the same at Fed Ex. If you get laid off and they hire someone else to do your job all you have to do is file a grievance. You will be paid in full for the time you sat and believe me it won't be long. the last thing Fed Ex wants to do is hire a bunch of new people to take over what we already know. There are many benefits to having a union under you sick pay, vacation pay, 401k, benefits, better wages, including overtime pay. Now that Obama has won the election the teamsters will make a big push they will be in the parking lots soon handing out info.