Will Hall distance himself from Hoffa as 2016 gets closer

Inthegame

Look at it this way.

If you're running for re-election in your Local.... (With the current political climate in the Union)

Do you base your platform on supporting the IBT ?

Or, jump on the bandwagon saying "we" got screwed. Thus.... eliminating any competition.

Think about it.

-Bug-
Fred, Sandy and big Tim already faced re-election

Inthegame

Look at it this way.

If you're running for re-election in your Local.... (With the current political climate in the Union)

Or, jump on the bandwagon saying "we" got screwed. Thus.... eliminating any competition.

Think about it.

-Bug-
Not sure what happened there but anyway, Fred, Sandy and Tim aren't jumping on any bandwagon as they've showed their displeasure with Hoffa/Hall long before this current UPS/CBA. They've also all faced re-election challenges and survived fairly comfortably. You might be overthinking this one.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not sure what happened there but anyway, Fred, Sandy and Tim aren't jumping on any bandwagon as they've showed their displeasure with Hoffa/Hall long before this current UPS/CBA. They've also all faced re-election challenges and survived fairly comfortably. You might be overthinking this one.

That's why I included "and company". :wink2:

It is a long term strategic goal, to stay in Local office.

There are a lot of additional "perks".... the average member isn't aware of.

(and the reason for their motivation)

-Bug-

bluebiker

So I ask again, will it read " we won a great contract at ups" . Or will it read " we survived a severe a-- whooping by ups, you all should be thankful for it. Now quit crying and elect us again!"

Sent using BrownCafe App

They're already spinning it as "a great contract at UPS" quoting the raises, and maintaining health coverage without member contribution.

The reality is "We won a concessionary contract at UPS, but it could have been worse."

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They're already spinning it as "a great contract at UPS" quoting the raises, and maintaining health coverage without member contribution.

How were the members not included ?

The reality is "We won a concessionary contract at UPS, but it could have been worse."

"We won a concessionary contract" is a misnomer.

A contract was negotiated.... and voted on by the membership.

That is how the process works.

-Bug-

bluebiker

How were the members not included ?

"We won a concessionary contract" is a misnomer.

A contract was negotiated.... and voted on by the membership.

That is how the process works.

-Bug-

I think Local 85 will disagree, didn't they vote and reject the contract twice only to have it imposed by Hoffa/Hall?

Brown Spider

It's a subterfuge, to assist being re-elected in their Local.

And that's a harsh criticism. But, pretty close to the reality of Local Union politics.

Personal experience. :biggrin:

Some people (not all).... once elected, will do anything to stay in office.

Exactly.

Look at it this way.

Think about it.

-Bug-

I don't think that the "we got screwed" campaign works for Sandy in her Local 805 election campaign. She doesn't have UPS. In fact I don't think that 805 is party to any national agreements. 805 is a small Local with white paper contracts. It would make more sense if she ran her re-election campaign based on how well she had negotiated those contracts and how well she represents those members. UPS, the International, Hoffa and Hall probably don't matter much to 805 members.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't think that the "we got screwed" campaign works for Sandy in her Local 805 election campaign. She doesn't have UPS. In fact I don't think that 805 is party to any national agreements. 805 is a small Local with white paper contracts. It would make more sense if she ran her re-election campaign based on how well she had negotiated those contracts and how well she represents those members. UPS, the International, Hoffa and Hall probably don't matter much to 805 members.

Numbers don't lie.

Sandy Pope.... can "barely" even run a small Local.

https://www.unionfacts.com/lu/1507/IBT/805/#basic-tab

-Bug-

Brown Spider

Numbers don't lie.

Sandy Pope.... can "barely" even run a small Local.

https://www.unionfacts.com/lu/1507/IBT/805/#basic-tab

-Bug-

I don't know if that's accurate and I'm not really interested in what a right wing front organization has to say. It's also simply not what I responded to, Bug. You offered two scenarios for running for re-election in a Local Union.

1) Support the IBT.
2) Jump on the "we" got screwed
bandwagon.

All I pointed out was that Sandy really couldn't use #2. She also obviously can't use #1since she's running for International office.

As for her ability to run Local 805, her members will weigh in on that issue in her next election, as they did in her last election...without any help from Rick Berman and his various corporate advocacy groups.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't know if that's accurate and I'm not really interested in what a right wing front organization has to say.

The information is based off the LM-2 reports.

TDU always makes it a point, to provide a link to the DOL page.

http://tdu.org/news/how-research-your-local’s-finances

mraa7l.png

-Bug-

govols019

You smell that?
Nope. You are obviously new to the game. You might have just woken up with this last contract. Ups people don't vote. So the couple people that will vote from ups doesn't equate to how you feel personally about the situation.

When you compare the compensation package the we at ups receive as a whole compared to the rest in the teamster union or any other union as well as non union it's head and shoulders above the rest. Not only is there no sympathy for us but we should stop feeling sorry for our selves. We should be more worried about all these republican governors who want to turn this country into a right to work country.

Upsers who cry about being compensated between 100,000 and 145,000 in wages and benefits make unions look bad as a whole.

How do you feel now?